LP Regulator Help Please

Author
Curb Hopper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
2013/02/13 14:04:38 (permalink)

LP Regulator Help Please

I am so out of my element with building this truck! If I can make it through this and just get back to the food!!!

I have a fryer that is 40,000BTU and 10" WC. I also plan on running a propane water heater. Any knowledge about regulators and set-up would be helpful! I plan on using a 40# lp tank. What else do you guys need to know in order to help?

Thanks a million

4 Replies Related Threads

Curb Hopper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:LP Regulator Help Please 2013/02/14 00:34:54 (permalink)
    Tractor Supply put me in the right direction. Onward we go!
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:LP Regulator Help Please 2013/02/14 05:05:01 (permalink)
    Tejas.com the guys there have what you need and will only sell you WHAT you need.I have done biz with them before and they are very helpful.
    TamaleTrolley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:LP Regulator Help Please 2013/02/24 02:37:17 (permalink)
    Being lame, I do not know what a WC is. In my day it meant "water closet" but I doubt that is what you meant. Anyway what you want is called a manifold; it is basically a splitter for gases. They have it in the plumbing section at Lowes etc though you may have to ask for it. You will also need plugs for the outlets you aren't using and you may need adapters for the size/thread of your appliances. Any competent floor person at a hardware store or (preferably) plumbing supply house can fix this up fast. Take the hoses from the appliances, it makes it easier for them. Tell them you have to seal the connections and they will either give you pipe dope or teflon tape. Once everything is hooked up, spray all the unions with soapy water and make sure there are no bubbles which would indicate gas leaks. Gas fittings should be tightened TIGHT tight. Brass is better than iron. Unless you are going to be pulling a phenomenal amount of propane the regulator doesn't matter.

Ken
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:LP Regulator Help Please 2013/02/24 08:33:07 (permalink)
    WC in terms of pressure pipe systems stand for ‘water column’ and is a method & unit of measurement of pressure.    1psi equals 27.68 WC (inches of water column). So 10” Wc is only about 0.36 psi. … not much pressure …

The manifold described above is used for multiple connections at the tank or connecting two or more tanks together with one regulator.  It can also be used if other temporary connects are needed outside of the truck.   But, generally a ¾” black iron (gas) pipe is ran into and thought the truck and T-connections provided at each appliance location.   The ¾” black pipe acts as a ‘manifold’.    At each T-connection reduce the pipe size to that needed to supply the appliance.  Generally, this is 3/8” copper or other gas flex pipe.   Don’t forget to install a ‘shut-off’ value at each T-connection for equipment maintenance without shutting off the tank and all gas appliances.
    A piping size reference can be found at http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-gas-pipe-sizing-d827.html

For one or two gas appliances it is very likely that you can work from a single tank regulator and set the line pressure as needed (10” WC).  But, it you have more than two gas appliances or if an appliance requires low pressure per manufacturer (6 to 8 wc ???) then a secondary regulator is required to lower the ‘tank line’ pressure or manifold pressure at each appliance or t-connection.   

In many Truck builds, the sum-total of BTUs required by ALL gas appliances exceed the ‘normal working’ capacity of the LPG tank.   A good reference is at
    http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/PropaneNGUse.html   Look at the ‘vaporization’ tank rates table.   At 30 deg F, the supply rate of a 40 lb tank is about ½ of the BTUs required by your frier.    So without knowing all details of your gas & BTU requirements, I suggest considering two 40lb tanks manifold together (or 100 lb tank) to supply your needs.

When the LPG tank doesn’t have enough vapor capacity the line pressure can be increased (12 to 15 WC) to increase the available vapor within the pipe.  Then regulators installed at each appliance to reduce the gas flow to less than the maximum required by the appliance (60% to 80% or 6 to 8 WC if the max. =10WC).  While the appliance will heat up slower, in many cases once hot it doesn’t need to work at max. output anyway.  This will allow several appliances to work together that would other wise overload the LPG tank and cause it to freeze up.   This does not work in all cases or cure sever overload of the tank.

Another trick to help overloaded LPG tanks or cool weather freezing of the tank is to provide heat to the tank.   Use a heat blanket or warm air exhausted from the kitchen to warm the tank.    Think of LPG tanks as being a ‘steam boiler’.  It is an operating peace of equipment producing steam (gas vapor).  It is not a simple storage can.

So ¾” dia black pipe supply line with T-connections and 3/8” dia soft copper (or other flex pipe) connection to the appliance should be more than adequate for your needs.   If any problems exist, then it would be vapor supply/tank capacity or regulator/pressure at the appliance.

Additional & general info can be found at
    http://rjmurray.com/serviceBulletins/LPGasServicemansHandbook.pdf
    http://www.larimer.org/building/liquid_propane.htm
    http://voices.yahoo.com/natural-gas-propane-pipes-codes-leaks-the-739045.html?cat=6

I hope this helps.  This is the 10 minute tour for someone ‘out of his element’ as you stated.
    post edited by edwmax - 2013/02/24 09:44:06
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1