La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff

Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
2007/09/28 13:44:26 (permalink)

La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff

The La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest kicks off today and will last from this weekend through next weekend. We went down to La Crosse to pre-start the Oktoberfest with the pre-schoolers at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse. Our 2 year old grandson, Eli, was one of the pre-schoolers.

Festivities began with past Festival Masters, the current Queen Frau and a banjo and accordion entertainment duo at the school.

Then the university marching band showed up to lead the school on a parade through the campus.

Eli is the one with the dark blue shirt in the cart. The 2 year olds did not know what to make of it all.

Later in the day we all went out for dinner to tie this in to a road food trip.

The chosen place was Buzzard Billy's Flying Carp Cafe in downtown La Crosse. Not German fare but more Creole Cajun cooking brought up the Mississippi River.

The flying carp

Some of the food, eggplant pirouge in the foreground and Cajun combo in back.

I opted for Jambalaya quaffed down with a pint of New Glarus Spotted Cow

We started out with the sunrise and returned to Minneapolis the same day with this sunset greeting us as we left La Crosse heading west in southern Minnesota on I-90.

On the road,

Davydd

22 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 14:20:07 (permalink)

Thanks Davy,
    Would you say that the Flying Carp would be your choice if you had just one lunch or dinner in LaCrosse? We will be passing thru in Mid-October..not staying there, and would like some good (non-BBQ) chow! I say non-BBQ because we will be at Jim's Ribs in the Quad Cities the next day and will hold our BBQ craving til then.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 14:42:17 (permalink)
    Davy, you have got to be kidding me! I love getting pictures of beautiful sunsets and I have many of them from the trips I have been on, but none as beautiful as the one above. Well done, sir!
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 16:05:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Davy, you have got to be kidding me! I love getting pictures of beautiful sunsets and I have many of them from the trips I have been on, but none as beautiful as the one above. Well done, sir!

I'm a big Sunset (and sunrise) fan myself. You're right Billyboy, that is one fine sunset photo. The food looks mighty tasty as well! Love this time of year. Beer celebrations and great sunsets!

DD

Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 16:46:02 (permalink)
    Al,

I am just starting to sample La Crosse fare now that our son is living there. I don't know if it is the best but they do a good job for Creole/Cajun food at a modest price. It is not exactly the kind of food I would look for in Wisconsin but I guess it is OK because they are on the Mississippi River.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 16:48:11 (permalink)
    Encore on the sunsets.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 22:54:29 (permalink)

We will be over in the Baraboo/Dells area for a few days before starting for home(w/family). LaCrosse will be the lunch stop on the first day out on the homeward-bound trip. i expect some variations of wisconsin favorites during the stay with my daughter.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 23:13:08 (permalink)
    Buzzard Billys does have a wide range of sandwiches including a line of Poboy sandwiches for lunch. It is kind of a small chain with restaurants in Waco, TX, Des Moines, IA, Lincoln, NE and La Crosse. Here is the web site.

http://www.buzzardbillys.com/

Another recommendation if you want to stop at a good ol' fashion drive in is Rudy's. Their car hops use roller skates. If you want to sit inside they have some booths as well.

http://www.rudysdrivein.com/

Fayze's Restaurant and Bakery in downtown La Crosse is another place we have had both a breakfast and a lunch. I especially liked their breakfast.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 23:26:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Thanks Davy,
    Would you say that the Flying Carp would be your choice if you had just one lunch or dinner in LaCrosse? We will be passing thru in Mid-October..not staying there, and would like some good (non-BBQ) chow! I say non-BBQ because we will be at Jim's Ribs in the Quad Cities the next day and will hold our BBQ craving til then.
    Al................... you better check/phone Jim's Rib Haven in Rock Island. when we were there in July it was closed for unknown reasons ........... We found / smelled BBQ smoke coming from a small building across the street, I mosied on over and talked to the guy working the BBQ who told me he was Jim's grandson and he cooks up the ribs for both Jim's . I said BOTH ?? He told me about Grandfather Jim's was close but his fathers Jim's up the road in East Moline was open and these ribs he was cooking were for his Dad's place.
    This all sounds familiar........... didn't we have this conversation before?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/28 23:34:09 (permalink)
    Yeah we have ! We will check one of the Jim's places on the Illinois side of the "Quad" !
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/29 06:14:11 (permalink)
    Hello Al-The Mayor,
    I have been reading and enjoying your posts for some time. I love your road trips and pictures, and as a retired rail, particularly like the railroading aspects you include.

My wife and I moved to La Crosse this summer and have been exploring the area. What we have here is good, solid midwesteren grub, but unfortunately not a lot of variety -- I would like to see more ethnic places, of all types. There is Manny's, a more or less authentic Mexican place, with good food, prices ranging from (for example) a burrito combo for around eight bucks to some seafood and steak specials up to 25.00 or so. Nice clean place, newer building. Unfortunatly, Casablanca was a very promising place we did not get to try, as the owner has closed after many years in business so he could go home, to Casablanca. He says he will be back in a few years and open something up, but who knows.

There are a lot of places we have not gotten to yet, and would not want to steer you wrong. But we have been told Buzzard Billy's is very good, for that type of food.

However, how about a great burger on the river? Can you run 20 miles north of La Crosse to Trempeauleau? There is a little restaurant,boat landing/bait shop right near the lock and dam, called Hungry Point. Great river views and a truly good burger for five bucks. Good fries and onion rings also. They have other things too, but we never get past the burger cause we like it to much. They have a beautiful view of the Mississippi and the lock and dam, and the BN railroad runs right through there. You should see great fall colors, and Perrot State Park is right there.

Or, for an evening meal, Sullivan's Supper Club in Treampeauleau offers an old fashioned Wisconsin supper club experience, as does Wason's, near Galesville. This whole area is fish fry heaven on Friday nights.

Have you tried Monk's Bar in downtown Dells for their famous burgers? Very good, and nice tavern ambience, fine for kids too. There is also a Monk's in Baraboo, but have not been to that one. Probably just as good. Good luck!
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/09/29 06:35:49 (permalink)
    Davydd,
    Eli is a cutie. I hope your family and you enjoy La Crosse as much as we do. It is a great place to live, and to raise kids. Thanks for all your many trip reports, I go along with you on all of them. And you are a breakfast lover -- my kind of guy.
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/03 21:04:27 (permalink)
    I love La Crosse! I've never been there for Octoberfest, but I have been to Buzzard Billies. They have great food and atmosphere. I also love the retro martini bar upstairs. I think it's called the Starlight Lounge. La Crosse is one of the hubby and my favorite weekend trips, especially on the motorcycle. There are no bad roads between there and our home in New Glarus, WI. Unfortunately, some of them got washed out with the flooding this summer.

This weekend (10/5-10/7) is Oktoberfest in New Glarus. It's not the traditional time for Oktoberfest but it's pretty smart because Monday is a holiday for some, so it brings people in for a long weekend rather than a day trip. I will be selling tickets at the beer tent on Saturday night. With high temps predicted to be in the 80's, it should be a crazy weekend!

-Kris
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/03 21:35:57 (permalink)
    Easydoesit,
    Thanks for the kind words and the tip. We haven't decided on how far "upriver" we will venture, but have notes on the places you mentioned. We have wandered around Baraboo and the area a few times when visiting, but primarily to places that will welcome a couple of small kids with the family.
    Watch for our trip report later in the month!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/03 21:49:28 (permalink)
    Right now we are at a campground in Baraboo, WI on our way to Indianapolis. I had a Mushroom Swiss Burger at Monk's in Baraboo for dinner tonight.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/05 04:36:54 (permalink)
    Al,
    I know the area is out of route for you. If you do get here, try to include a round trip on both sides of the river between La Crosse and Lansing IA. Besides great views of the Mississippi, you will see many examples of the devastation wreaked by our "100 year rains" in late August. Whole hillsides washed away, seven counties on both sides declared disaster areas. There is the BN RR on the WI side and the ICE on the IA/MN side. You will see new roadbed in many places on each road, as the hillside came rushing down, across the highway, and down further onto the railroad.

We took the drive today. There is still a lot of barge activity on the river, and the kids might like to see one going through a lock, and the BN is an awful busy road. And there are work crews and cleanup going on everywhere.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/05 08:04:08 (permalink)
    Al-which we are you heading home-would love to meet up for a bite!!!
    jkml
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/08 12:03:36 (permalink)
    I love southeastern and southcentral Wisconsin. My dad grew up and lived as a young man in LaCrosse and Eau Claire. I was born in Dodgeville. I remember visiting LaCrosse with my own kids when we lived in Chicago and going to Mr. D's and Maid-Rite. We also especially loved to stop in New Glarus whenever possible, even going hours out of our way, and eat at Glarner Stube, which we liked better than the Chalet Landhaus down the street.
    http://community.iexplore.com/planning/journalEntryDining.asp?JournalID=25311&EntryID=16463&n=Glarner+Stube In the Dells, which we went to a few times a year usually, my family enjoyed The Cheese Factory, a restaurant you did not care that it was vegetarian. It has an amazing bakery! My kids learned to love cheesecake there. http://www.cookingvegetarian.com/Wisconsin_Dells_Restaurants/Restaurant.html Cute, too.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/08 13:38:09 (permalink)
    Ann,
    We will drive to Chicago Monday the 15th, stay in Naperville, and are planning to meet ChiTwnDiner for dinner Monday night at a place of his choosing.

Tuesday we will photograph several old addresses in the Cicero/Berwyn/Riverside area that are relevant to my family history. These include the High School my Mother and her Brother and Sister attended. We also hope to find some of the old homes for them and other relatives, and some grave markers for family that have some information I am seeking. Then we will meet with some cousins at the Bohemian Crystal, a Czech restaurant in Westmont. We will try to beat the afternoon traffic rush out to the NorthWest on I-90 and I-39 to arrive in Baraboo, WI before dark (we hope).

Wed. and Thurs. are open at this time. We will have my daughter and her family with us, but the only thing I asked her to do is find some good German or Czech food at least once in the two days. If there is a good place to eat somewhere between you and where we will be, perhaps a meeting on Wed. or Thursday will work out.??? Let's talk about this!!

Friday and Saturday we will follow the Wisconsin River to the Mississippi and then head South along the river. Depending on my endurance as to where we will turn East to head for Louisville. Quad Cities? Nauvoo? or St Louis?? Thats the basic plan!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/08 13:55:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Ann,
    We will drive to Chicago Monday the 15th, stay in Naperville, and are planning to meet ChiTwnDiner for dinner Monday night at a place of his choosing.

I'm not too far from Naperville, where are you going?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/09 08:24:27 (permalink)
    Kland
    I sent you an email. We are going to meet ChiTwnDiner (Gregg) at the Tango (Argentine Steak Place)in Naperville, Monday evening. See the email for details.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/10 04:33:28 (permalink)
    jkml,
    I am sorry that we missed the Mr D experience. It was already closed down when we moved here and that corner is now a bank. However, it appears there will be a shadow of its former self. There will be a Mr D's drive-thru in a corner of that bank. No longer a sit-down restaurant with full meals, but can still get the sweet rolls they are known for. Should open soon, and we are looking forward to it. Apparently Mr D's is what they chose to feed President Bush on a visit to La Crosse.

Glad to report, though, that you would be right at home at Maid-rite. It is a glorious throwback to another time, and has not been changed in decades. Still the same tiny booths and counter, and almost always full. The daily lunch special automatically includes a dish of ice cream.
    jkml
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: La Crosse Wisconsin Oktoberfest Kickoff 2007/10/10 08:17:32 (permalink)
    Thanks, Easydoesit, for the update. You live in a beautiful, comfortable area. Wish I could enjoy that area this fall, but PA/NJ is nice, too. You can find good things and food wherever you go, but it is nice to be able to use sites like this for info, or memories!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1