La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan?

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/08/19 23:30:51 (permalink)

La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan?

A recent article in the Santa Fe newspaper signing the praises of Mexican ice cream claimed that the two establishements/brands listed above are known "all over Mexico" as offering the best i.c.

Also, that La Michoacana has been opening branches in SoCal.

It also says that Mex i.c. has great flavors,better than US..

Does anyone know about this???

10 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/08/20 01:57:02 (permalink)
    To quote the caveman on the Geico commercials...."uh.....WHAT?"
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/08/21 01:47:37 (permalink)
    Well,maybe a simpler version is:

1. Has anyone had Mexican ice cream, and you think has mre intense flavors than US?

2. Is anyone familiar with Mexican ice cream chains moving into US?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/08/26 00:08:59 (permalink)
    Well, I went to a Mexican ice cream shop today in Santa Fe. First thing, no one spoke English, so I am only guessing at what I ordered.
    We got 2 scoops, one caramel, the other cappucinno. The caramel was boring, the cappucinno was terrrific! It has swirls of either coffee or chocolate that was slightly hardened in a coffee base. Yum!

We also got 2 pops: one vanilla covered in chocolate and coconut. It was Ok but thin and icy, more like ice milk than ice cream. The other was wierd: the clerk said is was "rice" (arroz, really) and it looked like little chocolate chips. But it tasted like prunes! Vanilla ice cream with rice grains and prunes???? I hated it, but my teenage daughter love it.

So my grade is B- .
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/08/26 08:26:08 (permalink)
    In our South Side Milwaukee area we have many pushcart vendors selling Michoacana fruit bars. I'd describe them as fresh fruit ices not ice cream. If you're in a bar and someone spots them, it's not uncommon to send a patron out for a bunch that will then be turned into fresh fruit dacquiri's!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/08/26 17:42:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

In our South Side Milwaukee area we have many pushcart vendors selling Michoacana fruit bars. I'd describe them as fresh fruit ices not ice cream. If you're in a bar and someone spots them, it's not uncommon to send a patron out for a bunch that will then be turned into fresh fruit dacquiri's!

Does that mean they throw them in a blender & add alcohol? What a good idea!

I think I'll go back and get some ices.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/08/26 22:43:42 (permalink)
    Yep, the flavors are so bright that they make an outstanding blended drink.
    girlbuffalo1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/10/01 16:31:11 (permalink)
    We have a La Michoacana here in Lafayette IN however I thought it was an independant stand. I really liked the ice cream--I hear they make it on the premises and use really good sugar as opposed to corn syrup ect--
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/10/01 21:52:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by girlbuffalo1

We have a La Michoacana here in Lafayette IN however I thought it was an independant stand. I really liked the ice cream--I hear they make it on the premises and use really good sugar as opposed to corn syrup ect--

Interesting....please ask if they are actually affiliated with the chain from Mexico! ((or is it some generic name?)
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/10/05 10:10:43 (permalink)
    There are a couple of places in San Antonio that serves mexican fruitbars,cups of fruit,etc.One is I think on West Avenue,and the other over by Walzem. You can buy around here mexican icecream from Mexico at H.E.B.and Walmart.it is commerically made in plants just like here in the US. It isn't bad,has a lot of fruit in it.Around here,H.E.B. sells it's own brand of Mango Icecream,and Dreyer's also is selling here Mango Icecream,limited edition.
    I need to go to H.E.B. for a few things,so I think I might buy a quart of the mango to try it.They have their own brand of fruit bars,which are very good.
    For those not from Texas H.E.B. is even listed in Wicklepedia on the web,or just google H.E.B.
    Yes. the mexican ice cream,helados and the fruit bars,paletas are different becuase they use not only flavours like lime and strawberry but tamarind and guava and other tropical fruits.
    I personally prefer american ice cream for taste,though the mexican icecream I have had wasn't bad.I love the fruit bars like watermelon and cantaloupe,and even buy the auga fresca drink mixes as well.These are drinks made from fruit.
    They had some at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens,Garden Jazz Party,along with free sandwiches,etc.they had a jazz band and cds you could buy as well as gardening books.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: La Michoacana? Tepotzotlan? 2007/10/06 20:47:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HollyDolly

I personally prefer american ice cream for taste,though the mexican icecream I have had wasn't bad.I love the fruit bars like watermelon and cantaloupe,and even buy the auga fresca drink mixes as well.These are drinks made from fruit.

Even though there are those fruit flavors, the consistency of the ice cream didn't seem as smooth as US. (Or at least those "super premium" US types). Even tho I'm adventurous, I'm not planning to try much more Mexican ice creams, in spite of a gazillion flavors.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1