La Shish Goes Out of Business

Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4230
2008/03/03 14:01:13 (permalink)

La Shish Goes Out of Business

Today's Chicago Tribune has a blurb about the popular Middle Eastern restaurant chain, La Shish, located in the Detroit area, going out of business. The owner, Talal Chahine, was accused of being linked to terrorist organizations overseas. A company spokesman said that once the accusations were made, business fell off by 50%. Federal agents raided Chahine's homes and businesses in 2005 looking for evidence of a $6.5 million tax evasion scheme. Chahine fled to Lebanon at that time.

I post this as information, not as a political statement. Dad and I have eaten many times at La Shish on our trips to Detroit. We have shared meals with friends (pcdiva met us there a couple of years ago) and family (I have a cousin and his family in Plymouth) at La Shish and have always been happy with the food and service.

If in fact Talal Chahine was funneling money to terrorist organizations it would make me sick with anger over having been duped and used in that manner. I would hope that the United States government would prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law, levying the harshest punishment allowable, if he is guilty. However, this administration, in its frighteningly successful attempt at fear mongering, has been wrong more often than it has been right.

So until proven one way or the other, I will reserve judgment on Mr. Chahine. I will only say that if these ties to terrorist organizations are proven false, Detroit has lost a great contribution to its ethnic food scene. If the charges are true, it is a great tragedy and a crime that a cultural uniter like food was used in this shameful manner.

Buddy

6 Replies Related Threads

jreno
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: La Shish Goes Out of Business 2008/03/03 14:22:46 (permalink)
    his wife is already in prison on the same charges
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: La Shish Goes Out of Business 2008/03/03 14:54:53 (permalink)
    Keep in mind that Talal Chahine has never been charged with any crime related to terrorism. He has been charged with tax evasion.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4230
    RE: La Shish Goes Out of Business 2008/03/03 16:20:53 (permalink)
    Absolutely correct. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear in my initial post.

Buddy
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: La Shish Goes Out of Business 2008/03/03 17:48:22 (permalink)
    There are many small markets that use coupons from the major consumer product companies improperly. There are many current investigations showing this money going to terrorist groups.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: La Shish Goes Out of Business 2008/03/03 18:20:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markolenski

There are many small markets that use coupons from the major consumer product companies improperly. There are many current investigations showing this money going to terrorist groups.

That's interesting. Investigations by whom?
    bigcab
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: La Shish Goes Out of Business 2008/03/04 09:49:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markolenski

My first job was at a supermarket (owned by Chaldeans) I remember the owner sitting up in the office all day clipping coupons to send to manufacturers ( no real sale was made ) in order to get the rebate money from the coupon.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1