La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre PA

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2982
2004/11/08 23:02:49 (permalink)

La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre PA

First I did a search, and for those of you in Delaware yes this is the same mini-chain that you know of.

La Tolteca is on Mundy Street, near the lower entrance to the Wyoming Valley Mall. The location is definitely second tier compared to the spots grabbed by the Ground Round, Smokey Bones, Olive Garden, Outback, etc, but it's on the same strip, so it's a player.

I went in expecting a Chi-Chi's/Don Pablo type place, but it seems a little less formula. It has more of a local pizzaria feel. And, most of the employees are Hispanic. (A word here: NE PA is a tough place to be any race other than white. Heck, it's a tough place to be white and other than Irish, Italian, or Polish. I've lived here 17 years and I'm an outsider. This is a place where the Irish Catholic church is right across the street from the Polish Catholic church. It's very heartening to see jobs being held by young Hispanics.)

It being lunch, I ordered a combination platter #9, a taco, a burrito, and an enchilada, all beef. The meal came with homemade chips, hot and slightly oily from the fryer, and a thin salsa. The salsa was too thin, almost watery like tomato juice. The chips were chips, a little bit sweet and not salty. As a lunch combo, it came without sides.

The food was pretty decent. The ground beef was nicely seasoned and without any chile powder, the burrito and enchilada were covered with a nice adobo sauce and topped with cheese. The corn shell for the enchilada was soft and a little bit spongy, just right. The portions weren't too much, and weren't too little.

And the bill for this pleasant feast, with a 20 oz iced tea, came to $8.96 including tax but before tip.

Shoot, that's not bad. I'd eat there agsin.

Tom

4 Replies Related Threads

spicerak2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre PA 2006/10/23 04:28:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

First I did a search, and for those of you in Delaware yes this is the same mini-chain that you know of.

La Tolteca is on Mundy Street, near the lower entrance to the Wyoming Valley Mall. The location is definitely second tier compared to the spots grabbed by the Ground Round, Smokey Bones, Olive Garden, Outback, etc, but it's on the same strip, so it's a player.

I went in expecting a Chi-Chi's/Don Pablo type place, but it seems a little less formula. It has more of a local pizzaria feel. And, most of the employees are Hispanic. (A word here: NE PA is a tough place to be any race other than white. Heck, it's a tough place to be white and other than Irish, Italian, or Polish. I've lived here 17 years and I'm an outsider. This is a place where the Irish Catholic church is right across the street from the Polish Catholic church. It's very heartening to see jobs being held by young Hispanics.)

It being lunch, I ordered a combination platter #9, a taco, a burrito, and an enchilada, all beef. The meal came with homemade chips, hot and slightly oily from the fryer, and a thin salsa. The salsa was too thin, almost watery like tomato juice. The chips were chips, a little bit sweet and not salty. As a lunch combo, it came without sides.

The food was pretty decent. The ground beef was nicely seasoned and without any chile powder, the burrito and enchilada were covered with a nice adobo sauce and topped with cheese. The corn shell for the enchilada was soft and a little bit spongy, just right. The portions weren't too much, and weren't too little.

And the bill for this pleasant feast, with a 20 oz iced tea, came to $8.96 including tax but before tip.

Shoot, that's not bad. I'd eat there agsin.

Tom

Thank you for a fair review of this restaurant. I have frequented La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre and enjoyed every meal.

I am very pleased with the salsa, though. The consistency is a mark of good homemade talent, I think, and this restaurant does not skimp on the cilantro...an ingredient notoriously lacking in most of the salsas I have tried.

I must admit to being disappointed with the bar pricing. During one dinner party with a few friends, I considered asking the staff if I could wash my own dishes once I saw the bill for two cocktails. (What did I do...break a window?!) And even if you should forego the alcohol, you will still be charged for each refill of soda.

However, if you find the opportunity to eat there again, invest in the Fajitas For Two: you will have leftovers for a week! The spices and meats taste absolutely delicious! I ask for a dish of guacamole each time I go...in short, they have mastered it. And if you should save room for dessert, I recommend ordering their mexican version of cheescake happiness!

And...like you, not being a part of the "Ethnic Circle" of NE PA, seeing a business in this area that is fully staffed and managed by hispanics is refreshingly welcome.
    Candibutcher
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre PA 2007/11/19 14:12:36 (permalink)
    You are not charged for soda refills. I've been eating there three years.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre PA 2007/11/19 16:24:17 (permalink)
    Hi Candibutcher, thanks for the info.

I've ordered carryout from them a few times, and IMO the quality can be spotty. The last carry-out I got was pretty much ice-cold.

It's still a nice place, but the cold carry-out was a disappointment.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: La Tolteca in Wilkes-Barre PA 2007/11/20 02:24:40 (permalink)
    Si
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1