Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
2007/09/19 22:11:05 (permalink)

Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I

First let me start of by saying that this trip was more about the food than anything else (besides baseball) Sight seeing was kept at a minimum because that is what happens when you have less than a day to explore each city. Besides I've already been to these places before.

Thursday August 30

I flew to Pittsburgh from Rhode Island via Southwest. After arriving in Pittsburgh at around 11am, I rented a car and drove immediately to Charleston WV. The weather was hazy and muggy and a cold front was expected to go through bringing possible t-storms to Charleston in the late afternoon, followed by excellent weather for the rest of the trip. My first stop was Tomaro's in Clarksburgh WV. I've had pepperoni rolls before in Pittsburgh, they usually came from bakeries and the dough was soft and fresh. Tomaro's Pepperoni Roll is no different, however the pepperoni sticks inside the dough are truly on steroids and explode with flavor as you bite into them.

Considering I only had a couple of atkins protein bars for breakfast, I was still hungry after the pepperoni roll. I always wanted to try a slaw dog so it was off to Ritzy Lunch just a few blocks down. I ordered the special- two slaw dogs with meat sauce, fries come with the special. The fries were nothing notable and I just picked at them, the mellow tasting tasting meat sauce harmonized well with the slaw. Mustard and raw onions complete the deal.

After lunch I continued on my journey down to Charleston WV and checked into the Holiday Inn Civic Center. Around 5pm I headed to The Farm Table in South Charleston. I found out about this place by chance on the internet as an alternative to Southern Kitchen. By this time the skys were getting dark and it looked like a storm was a brewin. I'm glad I got to the restaurant when I did because the skys opened shortly after I got there and it was pouring/thundering and lightening. The Farm table is a family restaurant in the roadfood tradition. Bigger and newer than Southern Kitchen with a larger menu. I noticed the huge display of pies in the Glass Case as I walked to my table. I ordered the Boned in Country Ham with Red Eye Gravy, it comes with Biscuits or Corn Bread and Two Sides. I chose Corn Bread, Pinto Beans and Kale Greens as well as a glass of unsweetened iced tea (yes we're in sweet tea territory). To my surprise the meal came, and a little tub of raw onions (for the beans) and vinegar (for the kale greens) were included as well. The salty slabs of Ham drenched in eye twitching red eye gravy was delicious. The hunk of warm cornbread obviously homemade was also delicious and so were the pinto beans and greens. After dinner I couldn't decide between the Peanut Butter Pie or the Blackberry Cobbler, the waitress assured me they were both good but that the Blackberry cobber just came out of the oven. I ordered mine a'la mode and this was truly a sweet ending to a great meal.
Southern Kitchen is good, but The Farm Table really took the cake "no pun intended"

Here are a couple of snippets from The Farm Table's Menu

I left the restaurant shortly before 6pm and although the storm passed through, it was still raining. By the time I got back to my hotel, it was slightly drizzling and by the time I was ready to to walk the mile and a half to the ballpark it stopped raining altogether. I arrived at the ballpark at around 6:45pm for a 7:05 game. Apparently it was only $3 to get into the ballpark and they were running $1 beer specials (I only had 2) The West Virginia Power play at a brand new park- only a couple years old. Like Camden Yards in Baltimore and Petco Field in San Diego, Appalachian Power Park has an old warehouse that anchors the park, in fact the entire structure encircling the park almost has a "minimalist" feel with the warehouse basically taking center stage. The West Virginia Power hosted the Lexington Legends that night. For most of the game, West Virginia was ahead but Pitching fell apart around the 7th inning and Lexington won. After the game before walking back to my hotel, I headed on over to the Regatta Festival- a big carnival on Kanawha Blvd along the river. I just walked through through it before heading back to my hotel to check in for the night

Friday August 31

I started out the morning at Southern Kitchenfor another round of country ham and red eye gravy, this time with biscuits and a couple of eggs over medium. The country ham and red eye gravy was good but didn't quite have "the edge" I experienced the night before at the farm table. The Biscuits were warm, fresh, leaden and delicious as always, just the way I like them.

After breakfast I took a stroll down Capitol avenue and grabbed a half decent cup of coffee at Capitol Roasters. I then walked over to Towne Center Mall and strolled around inside the mall.
After checking out of my hotel, I was on my way to Columbus Ohio. Shortly after leaving Charleston, I got a call from Michael Hoffmanwho was supposed to join me for the Columbus Clippers game that evening, unfortunately he advised that due to unforseen circumstances he would be unable to make it.

I made it to Columbus in a little under three hours and checked into the Marriot Courtyard Downtown near the Nationwide arena. I walked over to the Brewery District/German Village approximately a mile and a half away and after browsing the Shops in German Village I decided on an early dinner at Schmidt's Sausage Haus. I chose the Buffet which I now regret, I should have gone with one of the individual meals. Basically the Buffet consists of a variety of sausages and wursts along with red cabbage, sauerkraut, german potato salad, an interesting Sausage Stew and oddly enough fried chicken (which I decided not to try). The Sausage Stew had a dark red sweet n sour sauce and was served over something resembling rice but may have been spatzel. I chose a local brew from the Elevator Brewing Company (ironically which was right next door to my hotel) and finished the meal with one of their famous cream puffs.

The Ohio State Capital en route to German Village

Knockwurst, Bahama Mama, Mild Mama, Bratwurst (all sausages) braised red cabbage, german potato salad and roll

Sausage Stew, spatzel? braised red cabbage and sauerkraut

After dinner I walked back to the hotel and then drove to Venerable Cooper Stadium to see the Clippers host the Toledo Mudhens. Although it seems nice that Columbus will have a new Downtown Ballpark in 09, I would have preferred to have seen a renovated Cooper Stadium. The Clippers lost to Toledo that evening. After the game I headed to the Elevator Brewing Company for a night cap before turning in.

Saturday, September 1

After a light breakfast at Cup O' Joe Coffee House, a local mini chain in the Short North District, I drove to Mooresville Indiana just west of Indianapolis to Gray Brothers Cafeteria. When I arrived there around noon, it was just starting to get crowded. I loaded my tray with Bean Salad, Green Beans, Scalloped Potatos, Yeast Roll and Fried Chicken. I looked for Sugar Cream Pie but was told they don't have any any. I thought that was their specialty? Even their website doesn't include sugar cream pie among their wide variety of pies.
It was a choice between Banana Cream or Raisin, so difficult to choose. I went with Banana Cream. The Fried Chicken and its accompaniments were excellent (although I still think Hollyhock hill had a slight edge), however the Banana Cream pie was just outstanding.

After lunch I headed to Indianapolis aka "Naptown" "India-No-Place"
"Brickhouse in the cornfield" naptown it wasn't. In the nearly 20 years and half a dozen times I've been to Indy I've never seen Downtown so vibrant due to the several festivals being held over the holiday weekend and revitalized Canal District. After checking into the Sheraton downtown I walked the canalwalk and toured the free Eiteljorg museum and admired it's Native American Artists, afterwards I drove to The Green Street Pub and Eatery per Davydd's
recommendation for the best Breaded Pork Tenderloin in Indy and I'm glad I did. This sandwich was a masterpiece. Now I know what a real BPT tastes like. Lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and mayo come on the side and I loaded mine up. Even my choice of coleslaw (homemade) was outstanding, probably some of the best coleslaw I ever had!
Thanks Davydd, although I won't be pursuing the BPT outside of Indiana, Iowa and Perhaps Central Illinois, I now know where to find a good one!

After dinner I walked to Victory Field, a new downtown ballpark and home to the Indianapolis Indians- Sold out game! I'm glad I got my ticket earlier that afternoon! Indianapolis lost to the Louisville Bats. After the game I walked over to Meridian Street the entertainment district for downtown Indianapolis. Since I had a couple of beers at the ballpark, I didn't bother to stop anywhere. I then headed back to my hotel for the evening

Part II another time

18 Replies Related Threads

myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/19 22:57:28 (permalink)
    WOW...what a great bunch of meals...wish I made the trip with you, and THANX for the excellent pics!

Terry
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 06:42:59 (permalink)
    Great report and food pics, WJ! Glad you got in all that walking after seeing how great the food looks!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13500
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 06:50:40 (permalink)
    All the food appealed to me. I really like red cabbage. The fried chicken really looked good.

Looks like your dieting took a hit

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 07:43:11 (permalink)
    Very nice report & pics, thank you. Uh, did you see any baseball
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 07:53:04 (permalink)
    WJ-
    Really nice start to your report! And you do take very good photos.

I'm glad you enjoyed Tomaro's and Gray Brothers Cafeteria, two favorties of mine.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 07:58:48 (permalink)
    Great photos and report. Looks like you had some great eats.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8364
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 08:06:45 (permalink)
    Excellent pics and report, WJ-the food looks fabulous!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 09:22:25 (permalink)

Dale,
    As you know I don't follow baseball the way many of the Roadfooder's do, but I must admit the various minor league teams and games give a person a Great Reason to roadtrip!! I do the same thing with the great train-watching locations, but those tend to be rural as opposed to central city locations.

You do a great job with your detailed description of the food at each stop, and the photos bring the descriptions to life for us. Thanks for Part One. We look forward to seeing the "Rest of the Story"!!
    GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 12:06:41 (permalink)

I’ll have to add Schmidt’s to my growing list of dining targets for my nine-day Toledo / Ann Arbor / Dayton / Indianapolis / Champaign / Columbus trip, beginning tomorrow, that already includes Green Street Pub and Gray Brothers.

When in Mooresville IN, besides Gray Brothers, I may also add Zydeco’s: http://foodpage.us/42226?showmap=1 http://www.zydecos.net/ .

Here are map links for the restaurants that WJ mentions in his trip review above:

Tomaro’s: http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=12986118

Ritzy Lunch: http://foodpage.us/510145?showmap=1

Farm Table: http://foodpage.us/509342?showmap=1

Southern Kitchen: http://foodpage.us/700182?showmap=1

Schmidt’s Sausage Haus: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Schmidt%27s+Sausage+Haus&btnG=Google+Search

Gray Bros. Cafeteria: http://foodpage.us/42223?showmap=1

Green Street Pub: http://foodpage.us/515036?showmap=1
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 18:36:16 (permalink)
    Sundancer, before I started out on this trip I was 216 lbs, but was actively dieting because my weight hovered for the most part between 221-224 lbs all summer and was just starting to get it to below the 220 range although the trip itself lasted 5 days, I then went directly to New York for work and although not all of my meals would be considered "roadfood" (although no chains were involved) I ate well. I've been back here in Rhode Island since Sunday afternoon and first had the guts to weigh myself tuesday morning and was 224 lbs, I think this morning I was 223 lbs.

John A, believe it or not I got quite a bit of baseball in. I've been consistently taking photos of my baseball experiences on a regular 35 mm camera so I haven't been able to post any of those photos.

GeoNit, you'll enjoy Schmidt's. The buffet was fine, but I was under the impression there would be more than just wursts and sausages, if I had to do it all over I probably would have ordered one of the individual meals most likely either the Sauerbraten or the Weiner Schnitzel. Oh, and thanks for adding those maps!

I'm going to do Part II under a seperate thread.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13500
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 18:41:08 (permalink)
    WJ, I hope you realize that I was just kidding and I admire your adventuresome exploration of great food and what you showed us was very very good. I like the way you do it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 19:03:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

WJ, I hope you realize that I was just kidding and I admire your adventuresome exploration of great food and what you showed us was very very good. I like the way you do it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, I knew you were kidding..

Thanks for the compliment. As you can see from my past and current reports, I'm a strict regionalist, so that means my next big baseball trip scheduled for next May or June will bring me to Kansas City, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico and possibly even Utah, so expect lots of BBQ, Steak,Kraut Burgers (Runza's) Buffalo (and yes that includes the infamous Rocky Mountain Oysters), New Mex, Scones and Navajo Tacos!
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 19:35:22 (permalink)

Man,

MY eye is starting to twitch!

Nice report Dale. Lookin forward to parts 2 through 20.

DD

jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/20 20:09:13 (permalink)
    Man - that Blackberry Cobbler had me wanting to lick my computer screen.

I like the menu at the Farm Table - cottage cheese, macaroni and cheese and sage dressing are listed as vegetables. My kind of place. Now if we could only get them to list "hot fudge sundae" under there too . . .

Great report. Thanks for posting.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/21 09:51:21 (permalink)
    I am just so-so on Schmidt's Sausage House. I enjoy the atmosphere and the cream puffs are quite an attraction. But the German food is below average. Of course, growing on the authentic stuff, I can be difficult to please when it comes to this type of cooking.

When my brother was in Columbus a few months ago, he checked it out and felt the same as I do.

I do like the attractive young lady on the front of their website, though.
    PamF
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/21 14:54:26 (permalink)
    I so want that breaded pork tenderloin sandwich
    andrew61083
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/21 16:44:47 (permalink)
    Wow, I couldn't envy you more if I TRIED! It's a life-long dream of mine to follow the Twins and see a game in every stadium in the country. (obviously I'd have to catch a few non-Twins games to make it happen, but you won't hear me complaining.)

Your pictures are amazing, too. I love your reports.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Labor Day Weekend Baseball Trip 2007 Part I 2007/09/26 12:45:47 (permalink)
    No one has mentioned the pepperoni roll yet, which I thought looked most appetizing. I never realized this was a regional food to this section of West Virginia. That's why I enjoy this site so much: I learn something about regional cuisines all the time.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1