Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area

Am I thinking wrong about lake perch in this area or do I
have to be closer to the Great Lakes
Be staying a week in Lake George.

6 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8656
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area 2007/03/10 10:06:30 (permalink)
    Fishing is great in Lake George.Bass,atlantic salmon,pike,trout,perch and sunfish...
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area 2007/03/10 14:11:47 (permalink)
    I dont think any of the lake fish are fished commercially- and sports fish are not allowed to be sold in restaurants in New York State.

Cheers, John
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area 2007/03/10 16:26:16 (permalink)
    I have never seen Lake Perch offered on a restaurant menu outside of the WESTERN Great Lakes proximity. I haven't stayed in the Lake George area for over 30 years, but don't remember seeing it on a menu in Upstate New York (including the Lake Ontario area) either.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18866
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area 2007/03/10 16:31:29 (permalink)
    So Al, do you consider Lake Erie one of the Western Great Lakes?
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area 2007/03/11 03:08:59 (permalink)
    I grew up in Dunkirk, N.Y which is south of Buffalo, on Lake Erie. I went to college in Oswego, N.Y on Lake Ontario. (When I first got to Oswego my room mate from Long Island asked me if Buffalo was in the mid-west. Believe me it's not.) We had Lake Perch all the time. Growing up in a predominantly Roman Catholic community we had Fish Frys every Friday. This was generally Lake Perch. My cousin's husband actually had a fishing boat that would go out every morning. (I decided to go to college).

I digress. My first wife was born and raised in Glens Falls, N.Y. Her family had a summer house in Warrenton,N.Y. and she worked in several restaurants in Lake George. I have not been up there in five years but I do not recall ever seeing Lake Perch on a menu. Google "Lake George, NY Resaurants" and you will be provided with several menus but I did not see any Lake Perch. However, get a local newspaper on Wednesday or Thursday and look for ads for the local fire houses, American Legions, VFW, Churchs and the like having "Friday Fish Frys". You may find what you are looking for.

BB
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area 2007/03/12 22:00:00 (permalink)
    BB,
    I stand corrected about the Lake Ontario area. My faded memories of Grad School at Oswego State apparently didn't prove true for the Lake Perch. It still holds true for the fabled winter storms though!! I really don't remember the Lake Perch on menus there...but I was not one to spend a lot of time or money in a restaurant in those days. It was a 50 mile commute each way to grad. classes after teaching all day...so I didn't pay much attention to anything that didn't come out of a drive-thru window.

Michael, If I had been accurate in my comment on Lake Ontario, I would have made Lake Erie a 'Western' lake just to make my point. However, since I was wrong once, I will delete the whole concept and then not be wrong again!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1