The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area

Birdhunter

• Total Posts: 94
Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Sat, 03/10/07 9:15 AM (permalink)
Am I thinking wrong about lake perch in this area or do I
have to be closer to the Great Lakes
Be staying a week in Lake George.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Sat, 03/10/07 10:06 AM (permalink)
    Fishing is great in Lake George.Bass,atlantic salmon,pike,trout,perch and sunfish...

seafarer john

RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Sat, 03/10/07 2:11 PM (permalink)
      I dont think any of the lake fish are fished commercially- and sports fish are not allowed to be sold in restaurants in New York State.

Cheers, John

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Sat, 03/10/07 4:26 PM (permalink)
        I have never seen Lake Perch offered on a restaurant menu outside of the WESTERN Great Lakes proximity. I haven't stayed in the Lake George area for over 30 years, but don't remember seeing it on a menu in Upstate New York (including the Lake Ontario area) either.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
          RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Sat, 03/10/07 4:31 PM (permalink)
          So Al, do you consider Lake Erie one of the Western Great Lakes?

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
            RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Sun, 03/11/07 3:08 AM (permalink)
            I grew up in Dunkirk, N.Y which is south of Buffalo, on Lake Erie. I went to college in Oswego, N.Y on Lake Ontario. (When I first got to Oswego my room mate from Long Island asked me if Buffalo was in the mid-west. Believe me it's not.) We had Lake Perch all the time. Growing up in a predominantly Roman Catholic community we had Fish Frys every Friday. This was generally Lake Perch. My cousin's husband actually had a fishing boat that would go out every morning. (I decided to go to college).

I digress. My first wife was born and raised in Glens Falls, N.Y. Her family had a summer house in Warrenton,N.Y. and she worked in several restaurants in Lake George. I have not been up there in five years but I do not recall ever seeing Lake Perch on a menu. Google "Lake George, NY Resaurants" and you will be provided with several menus but I did not see any Lake Perch. However, get a local newspaper on Wednesday or Thursday and look for ads for the local fire houses, American Legions, VFW, Churchs and the like having "Friday Fish Frys". You may find what you are looking for.

BB

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Lake Perch dinner in the Lake George, N,Y.. area Mon, 03/12/07 10:00 PM (permalink)
              BB,
              I stand corrected about the Lake Ontario area. My faded memories of Grad School at Oswego State apparently didn't prove true for the Lake Perch. It still holds true for the fabled winter storms though!! I really don't remember the Lake Perch on menus there...but I was not one to spend a lot of time or money in a restaurant in those days. It was a 50 mile commute each way to grad. classes after teaching all day...so I didn't pay much attention to anything that didn't come out of a drive-thru window.

Michael, If I had been accurate in my comment on Lake Ontario, I would have made Lake Erie a 'Western' lake just to make my point. However, since I was wrong once, I will delete the whole concept and then not be wrong again!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com