Lamb Burger

Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
2004/11/30 02:05:26 (permalink)

Lamb Burger

Are there any lamb burger fans out there? Where I used to live, there was a meat market that offered the freshest ground lamb. I would plop it in a bowl, squeeze 4 or 5 fresh garlic clove innards into it, patty them up, salt and pepper, and stick them on the grill. I like my lamb well, yet they still were juicy even at that point of doneness. Put the patties between toasted onion buns with lots of ketchup and a smidgeon of mint jelly and the whole family was in hog heaven.

9 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 09:26:06 (permalink)
    I love 'em too, Capt. I never got to experience lamb much in earlier times, but I can find it pretty consistently these days here in Southern Oregon, raised locally. We have a friend from Turkey who also makes 'em just like that. I've tried mixing lamb and beef together
    too, sometimes using an egg for binder.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1983
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 09:47:39 (permalink)
    It is a steady seller at our local market with 20% beef added. I buy it 2 or 3 times a month.
    Todd
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 11:47:21 (permalink)
    We love lamb burgers. S&P and grill to medium rare. No bun, maybe mint jelly.

I might try the garlic.

Cakes
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 11:58:55 (permalink)
    At the expense of repetition:

Lamburgers à la Grecque with Cilantro-Mint Chutney

Cilantro-Mint Chutney
    1/3 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
    1-1/2 fresh jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
    1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger root
    3/4 cup fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
    1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
    Pinch sugar

Lamburgers
    1 pound lean ground sirloin
    1 pound lean ground lamb
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
    1/3 cup minced, pitted Kalamata olives
    1 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
    6 medium-size pita breads, preferably thicker variety
    1/4 cup fruity olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
    1 teaspoon ground cumin mixed with 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    vegetable oil for brushing on grill rack

Condiments
    Tomato slices
    Thin red onion slices
    Red leaf lettuce

PROCEDURE:
    To make the chutney, combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly. Cover and chill for at least several hours or as long as 24 hours. In a grill with a cover, prepare a medium-hot fire, preferably with natural hardwood charcoal, for direct-heat cooking.
    To make the burgers, combine the sirloin, lamb, garlic, cheese, olives, and salt in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into round patties to fit the pita breads. Brush the patties with the olive oil and then sprinkle with the cumin mixture.
    When the fire is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the grill, cover, and cook until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. With a wide spatula, turn the patties and cook until done to preference. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the pita breads on the outer edge of the grill and turn to toast lightly on both sides.
    Place the patties inside the pita bread pockets and add the chutney. Offer the condiments at the table.
    Serves 6.

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 13:20:47 (permalink)
    That sounds wonderful Grampy. (Brings back memories, that's what I used to call my paternal Grandfather) I especially like the fact that the chutney isn't vinegared, as I can't stand stuff that's redolent of that nasty stuff. I will be trying your recipe out as soon as I locate a place to buy ground lamb.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 14:01:46 (permalink)
    Well when I was in college at Berkeley there used to be a place called Bongo Burger which served lamb burgers. I thought it was great but have no idea whether the lamb burger thing proved as popular as other Berkeley fast food joints such as Top Dog. Does anyone know if Bongo Burger still exists?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4013
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 17:04:32 (permalink)
    I make lamburgers on occasion. I enjoy dusting them with hot curry powder instead of salt and pepper. Cook 'em either on the grill or in my cast-iron grill pan. Nice thick ones, on a sesame bun.....yum.....
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 17:53:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rayme

Well when I was in college at Berkeley there used to be a place called Bongo Burger which served lamb burgers. I thought it was great but have no idea whether the lamb burger thing proved as popular as other Berkeley fast food joints such as Top Dog. Does anyone know if Bongo Burger still exists?

According to my exhaustive research, there's three of 'em, including one about 3 blocks south of the campus on Dwight Way.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Lamb Burger 2004/11/30 22:17:20 (permalink)
    Most of the arab world does a lamb burger, Kofta. of some sorts. Ground lamb, arabic spices, garlic and labna with mint and maybe feta, tucked in a pita. Very delicious. I'm with you Grampy.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1