The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls

Rowsdower98

• Total Posts: 132
Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Tue, 09/12/06 8:29 PM (permalink)
Wasn't sure where to put this, but they have three locations which I guess makes Lambert's a chain.
Anyone ever been to Lambert's?
They have the best entrees ever. Deep fried pork chops, hog jowls, fried chicken. The mashed taters are amazing. You get unlimited sides; fried okra, fried taters, macarroni and tomaters, black eyed peas. Oh, and they throw big hot, fluffy yeast rolls at you from across the room. That's right, you heard me. They throw rolls. Lambert's is well worth the 70 mile drive for me. I always leave full after eating way too much.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
    RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Tue, 09/12/06 8:35 PM (permalink)
    Mention of throwing rolls made me google them..
    Lo and behold.....
    It looks like a fun time when you go there..
    Here is the link if anyones intersted..

http://www.throwedrolls.com/about_lamberts.html
    I especially like the mention of the "pass arounds"..

seafarer john

RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Tue, 09/12/06 9:31 PM (permalink)
      If you are passing thru that part of Missouri Lambert's is a must stop for any Roadfooder. But once is enough for a lot of us - the place is fun, it's raucus , it's noisy, and the roll throwing is certainly unique, and the syrup is delicious, but the food is , at best, only OK.

Cheers, John

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
        RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Tue, 09/12/06 11:08 PM (permalink)
        Make sure you bring cash though as they don't take plastic (they will however take a check)

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
          RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 7:27 AM (permalink)
          We try to visit the original in Foley, AL every year. We arrive about 5:00 PM and the place is not as loud or too crowded. The food is always good, portions huge, excellent variety, and the rolls are fresh and "throwed." We enjoy it.

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
            RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 9:26 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Oneiron339

We try to visit the original in Foley, AL every year. We arrive about 5:00 PM and the place is not as loud or too crowded. The food is always good, portions huge, excellent variety, and the rolls are fresh and "throwed." We enjoy it.

One,
            They started in Sikeston, MO. They just built a new place there so they are not in their original location. The one in Ozark, MO and Foley, AL are newer additions to the chain.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
              RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 10:41 AM (permalink)
              Ate at the Lambert's in Foley, AL, and absolutely loved the pass arounds. The fried potatoes and onions were yummy (I had 3 helpings). I ordered a hamburger and it was so big I could only eat half of it and it was very good. Yes it is very much a tourist trap, but a fun place to take kids. I will go again when in the area.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1066
                RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 12:58 PM (permalink)
                We were in Sikeston,Mo once.We couldn't get into Lambert's as it was packed. We did eat at the Pondarosa Steakhouse or Bonanza Steakhouse there instead. It was pretty good actually and had draft rootbeer,yum. We were on our way to Milwaukee to see relatives.

gcw

• Total Posts: 44
                  RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 2:16 PM (permalink)
                  We ate at the Sikeston location a couple of times in the early 90s, when the kids were young. We just happened to be passing through the area at dinnertime. The kids had a blast. That's where we discovered sorghum and now always bring a jar or two home from our trips down south.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 3:23 PM (permalink)
                    I feel the need to chime in here with a contrary opinion. I visited the Sisketon location earlier this summer and, without a doubt, it was the worst food I have ever eaten in a restaurant in my entire life. In my opinion, the "food" is an absolute afterthought at Lambert's. They certainly have a very successful business, but I think it's due to the low prices and ridiculous amount of food they serve (including the pass arounds), and the raucous atmosphere. I thought the hot rolls were decent enough, but they didn't come close to making up for the atrocious food from the menu. Seriously, every single thing we ordered was awful. Really, really awful.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                      RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 4:23 PM (permalink)
                      What are "pass arounds"? I realize they're food items, but why do they refer to them so? And who's passing them around?

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                        RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 4:56 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by enginecapt

What are "pass arounds"? I realize they're food items, but why do they refer to them so? And who's passing them around?

The wait staff goes through the dining area with big bowls of side dishes and asks each diner if they'd like some of what they are carrying - no charge to the diner, and it is a nice added-treat.

Scott C

• Total Posts: 47
                          RE: Lambert's Cafe and Throwed Rolls Wed, 09/13/06 5:22 PM (permalink)
                          I enjoyed my trip to Lambert's in Sikeston a couple of years ago. I was later told that they experimented with another concept called the Front Page Cafe here in Evansville a few years back. We ate there a few times, but were not aware of the connection.

Thanks
                          Scott C
                          Evansville IN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com