Lancaster, PA

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
doug_ua
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
2008/07/03 09:31:59 (permalink)

Lancaster, PA

Heading down to Lancaster for a trip to Dutch Wonderland - we heard that it is better than Hershey Park for toddlers! Where should we eat? Dinner the first night (after the park), and breakfast and possibly lunch before we head back home!

41 Replies Related Threads

angel92
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/04 07:56:54 (permalink)
    Avoid the buffet style restaurants in that area. They're horribly overpriced tourist traps.

If you drive east on Route 30 you'll pass a huge golf course. The first road you'll come to is Witmer Road. Turn left on Witmer Road and stay on that road until you come to Route 340. Make a right onto Route 340. Not far down the road you find the Smoketown Diner. It's been awhile since I've been out that way, but the food used to be excellent there.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/04 08:30:36 (permalink)
    My quilting friends and I go to Lancaster every year and we have found some great places to eat:

~ the Brasserie, Lincoln Hwy, closer to town for Prime Rib, steaks, seafood, chicken

~ Good 'n Plenty, Smoketown, family style, fried chicken, ham loaf, Amish-style menu

~ Revere Tavern, Rt. 30 East of Lancaster in Paradise, pork, seafood, fine dining

~ Symposium, Centerville Rd., Greek, Mediterranean, live music

~ Diener's, Rt. 30 East of Lancaster, chicken & dumplings, Amish-style menu, not fancy, good value
    angel92
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/04 09:04:43 (permalink)
    Dienner's has terrific food and their prices are pretty reasonable. I wouldn't consider The Brasserie or Symposium to be "roadfood" -- they're more upscale places, not exactly kid-friendly IMO.
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/04 12:15:27 (permalink)
    If you are there on Tuesdays, Friday or Saturday, be sure and visit the Central Market in downtown. There's a lot of great food vendors, where you get everything from Amish to Middle Eastern.
    WhoopiePie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/16 09:09:51 (permalink)
    As a local, I will second Good 'N Plenty (along Rt. 896 between Rt. 30 & 340). It is the best Pennsylvania Dutch style restaurant in the area, in my opinion. Dienner's isn't bad either, but they tend to close early.

Central Market is also good. I am a regular shopper there. Charming architecture and good food...but not a tremendous amount of ready-to-eat foods.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/16 09:23:20 (permalink)
    I have been in downtown Lancaster many times and I always visited the market on the days they were open. I understand that it is among the oldest markets in the USA that is still open. I believe it was in this same building in 1730 but rebuilt in the 1800's????

I have attached a list of the vendors FYI.

I always enjoyed the market.

http://server1.fandm.edu/departments/tdf/MarketSite/FSet.html
    http://www.cityoflancasterpa.com/lancastercity/cwp/browse.asp?c=42768

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Robearjr
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/16 19:42:28 (permalink)
    I find the Central Market to have a decent selection of prepared foods. Granted, it is not the lunch spot that Lexington Market in Baltimore and Reading Market in Philly are; however, you can get sandwiches, chicken, soups, salads and the like in Lancaster. The real problem at the Central Market is the lack of seating.
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/19 08:03:46 (permalink)
    The buffet at Willow Valley is pretty good. We have been there several times, for breakfast and dinner. The food is really good. They also have an excellent bakery.

http://www.willowvalley.com
    PJinNH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/19 20:51:24 (permalink)
    Shady Maple Smorgasbord in East Eart is the BEST! Worth the short drive from Lancaster!
    [url]
    http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord[/url]
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6349
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/19 21:24:02 (permalink)
    Without a doubt...DEINER'S on rt. 30!!!! It's run by mennonite and Amish...you eat an all you can eat feast for about $9.00!!!!! Superb food...lots and lots of desserts to choose from.....we eat there every time we go to the area 4-6 times a year...it's just a few milesa up rt 30 from Dutch Wonderland...which is wonderful for little kids! Check the Strausburg railroad...Thomas the tank may be there for rides!!!! All the other places are farther away from Dutch Wonderland and much more commercial and over priced!!!Save gas and enjoy much better food...and they're kid friendly!!!!
    Robearjr
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/20 00:55:00 (permalink)
    wow, that is a lot of exclamation points for Amish food. I didn't realize it was possible to get that excited over shoefly pie, chow chow and slippery pot pie. I mean, it's not like we're talking about BBQ!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/20 10:40:21 (permalink)
    Ha....No this is a real find. A buffet RUN by Amish and Mennonites, COOKED by Amish and Menonnites, and for the most part even SERVED by Amish and Mennonites...The roast chicken and the pot roast are to die for,,,so many other selections to choose from...ham etc...it's a feast at a miniscule price...and shoefly pie, as great as it is...is way down on the list of cakes,pies and other desserts they offer.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/20 10:53:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Without a doubt...DEINER'S on rt. 30!!!! It's run by mennonite and Amish...you eat an all you can eat feast for about $9.00!!!!! Superb food...lots and lots of desserts to choose from.....we eat there every time we go to the area 4-6 times a year...

I went to Deiner's a couple of years ago, and maybe I hit it on an off day, but the place was absolutely filthy when I went there. There was food all over the floor, crumbs left on table from last customer, and worst of all in my book, the buffet was very messy. I also found it was typical of most buffets i have been to, quality mattered less than quantity.

The place had come highly recommended, so as I said, it may have been an off day, but I'd recommend a peek around before sitting to eat.

I like Good and Plenty. My kids enjoyed sitting at a table with a bunch of strangers, as the tables seat about 20 people, and you are all "family" for the meal. The food is good and plentiful as the name suggests. I find it to be very basic food, so while it is good, there isn't much that will knock your socks off.

I also liked Jenny's (or is it Jennie's) Diner on Route 30. It is an old style place with a pretty diverse menu. As of a couple of years ago they still allowed smoking, so it could be a bit stuffy, but it wasn't enough to bother me of my family.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/20 11:33:58 (permalink)
    Tony,
    I'll agree, it must have been a bad day...Deiner's originally was also recommended to us by locals, when we asked for a place to eat,other than the tourist traps. Now we've been going to Amish countrty for over 20+ years, and we've hit all the typical places: Plain&Fancy, Good&Plenty,Herhey's(Restaurant),Shady Maple, Millers'Stolfuz's Etc...and we wanted a place a local would go to for good food. Deiner's was the unanimous choice...and in the almost dozen times we've been there,we've never,NEVER experienced what you describe...the fact everyone recommends it so often should give you pause, and let you realize something was wrong that day...The Amish are VERY CLEAN and FRIENDLY people...their homemade food, in no way can be compared to the mass produced food served at Plain&Fancy and Good & plenty. If you ever return to this beautiful area,I urge you to give it another try!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 09:11:10 (permalink)
    Thought I'd correct the spelling of this great place,if anyone goes to the Amish area looking for it...it's "Dienner's"
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 09:12:52 (permalink)
    Oh and I yahoo'd their wensite...reviews too!!!

http://www.dienners.com/
    Robearjr
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 21:52:28 (permalink)
    My brother always visits a truck stop/diner in Lancaster, but I can't remember its name. The portions at this place, however, are huge.

nysharks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 22:21:06 (permalink)
    I would like to second the recommendation for Dienner's. I have only been there for breakfast but love the fact that you can have all the scrapple you can eat. My doctor is not too thrilled.

They do not have a large variety of choices like Old Country Buffet, but the food is good and it is quite reasonable. I do not know what lunch and dinner are like.

I went there on the recommendation of some diners at Good 'N Plenty. The food at Good 'N Plenty was OK at best with most of the diners at the table in agreement. I found out we were all there because most of the Amish-like restaurants close early and this was the only one open at the time (7PM). During the summer, most stay open a little later, but Dienner's still closes pretty early.

Many will probably disagree with me, but I prefer Plain and Fancy over Good 'N Plenty. Mostly because they serve dried sweet corn, a la John Cope's Corn. On my last visit, I had emptied the shelves of a supermarket in Lancaster with boxes of Cope's Corn. http://copescorn.com

I would recommend picking up the various Lancaster publications for coupons to the restaurants. You can also find many on the web at: http://www.padutchcountry.com
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 22:44:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by nysharks

I would like to second the recommendation for Dienner's. I have only been there for breakfast but love the fact that you can have all the scrapple you can eat. My doctor is not too thrilled.

They do not have a large variety of choices like Old Country Buffet, but the food is good and it is quite reasonable. I do not know what lunch and dinner are like.

I went there on the recommendation of some diners at Good 'N Plenty. The food at Good 'N Plenty was OK at best with most of the diners at the table in agreement. I found out we were all there because most of the Amish-like restaurants close early and this was the only one open at the time (7PM). During the summer, most stay open a little later, but Dienner's still closes pretty early.

Many will probably disagree with me, but I prefer Plain and Fancy over Good 'N Plenty. Mostly because they serve dried sweet corn, a la John Cope's Corn. On my last visit, I had emptied the shelves of a supermarket in Lancaster with boxes of Cope's Corn. http://copescorn.com

I would recommend picking up the various Lancaster publications for coupons to the restaurants. You can also find many on the web at: http://www.padutchcountry.com

I'll agree:Of the two Plain&Fancy is better than Good&Plenty, by far,especially in the lasy year...Plain&Fancy had gone down hill, but they've cleaned up there act...and in the almost 40 years I've been going to Amish Country,P&F Is the BEST it's ever been. It's now owned by the people at Miller's and that still is a great smorgasboard.
    But by far the best place to eat great Amish food is at Dienner's. Yes it does close early...Amish and Mennonite turn in early..and of course they're closed on Sunday.
    Hey,I've never been to the Dienner's breakfast...but I'll bet it's great!!!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 23:02:05 (permalink)
    The only decent food that I have had in that area is what I have eaten at Paul Revere Tavern and Waffle House. I guess that my tastes are differnt but I found those buffets to be quite dreadful. I also went to a couple of diners and the breakfasts were not the least bit good.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/21 23:05:59 (permalink)
    The Waffle House on that corner on Rt.30 is a great stop for us...I always stock up on their sugar free Waffle syrup which they'll sell to me...it's the best sugar free I've ever tasted!!!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/22 07:16:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

My brother always visits a truck stop/diner in Lancaster, but I can't remember its name. The portions at this place, however, are huge.

You didn't say where, but probably Jennie's Diner just east of 897 on Rt. 30.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/22 09:46:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

You didn't say where, but probably Jennie's Diner just east of 897 on Rt. 30.

I agree that this is probably Jennie's. They have a truck parking lot out back that is usually pretty full.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/22 09:48:10 (permalink)
    Yes, almost always full...what's the name of the other diner just down the road from it, also on rt 30??? And how is that
    Oneiron339
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/22 16:04:57 (permalink)
    The Gap Diner is just south of Rte 30 on Rte 41 which is great and has been there forever. Also the Wagon Wheel in Paradise is good. (It was in the movie "Stranded in Paradise.")
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/23 08:52:47 (permalink)
    quote:

The Gap Diner is just south of Rte 30 on Rte 41 which is great and has been there forever. Also the Wagon Wheel in Paradise is good. (It was in the movie "Stranded in Paradise.")

There's a 2nd diner,just down the road on rt30,,,that's the one I remember..
    And what's the movie, "stranded in Paradise"? Couldn't find any info on it. Does it take place in the area?
    Oneiron339
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/23 16:12:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

quote:

There's a 2nd diner,just down the road on rt30,,,that's the one I remember..
    And what's the movie, "stranded in Paradise"? Couldn't find any info on it. Does it take place in the area?

Maybe I got the title wrong, it was the comedy w/ Nicholas Cage, and John Lovitt who were crooks trying to rob the bank in Paradise right before Christmas. Most of it was filmed in New England in a small town however, but had snippets of the real Paradise, PA included.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/23 17:24:54 (permalink)
    I'd like to see it,nonetheless.Anyone out there know the name of this movie???
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: Lancaster, PA 2008/07/23 17:27:53 (permalink)
    Trapped in Paradise.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1