The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Lane cake

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Lane cake Mon, 06/16/08 12:17 PM (permalink)
I read about Lane Cake in an old Oprah magazine. Says its from Alabama. Looks delicious. Who knows of it? Is it Lane like Mr/Mrs. Lane? layers like lanes? what?

Bonzmoose

• Total Posts: 44
    RE: Lane cake Mon, 06/16/08 1:08 PM (permalink)
    This may answer your questions. Hope it helps.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-lane-cake.htm

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
      RE: Lane cake Mon, 06/16/08 3:05 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the info.
      I'm interested in any other comments. From a Yankee, I'm amazed by all these Suthin' thangs (chess pie, red velvet cake, etc)

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
        RE: Lane cake Mon, 06/16/08 4:11 PM (permalink)
        I make one of these every year for my daddys birthday. It's his favorite cake. The recipe I use does not use a fluffy frosting on the outside because I don't like it. The frosting is the same as the filling. I also do not use alcohol, I use white grape juice instead. Yes, it adds a different taste but I feed the cake to children and folks who never imbibe alcohol like my mamaw and daddy.

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/recipes/laneck.htm That's very similar to mine.

Mama sometimes make just one layer and top it with the filling and we'd have it on picnics. Along with hummingbird cake, coconut cake, and pig pickin cake, a lane cake was served without the fluffy frosting at dinner on the grounds. With the fluffy frosting it was a christmas cake with lots of cherries on top. (I always scraped the icing off lol, I really liked the filling)

Who was Emma Rylander Lane?

"This is cake season, as Valentine’s Day approaches, and for the past few days, I’ve been immersed in 19th-century sweetness. The folks at Auburn University asked me to write about an iconic Southern cake for The Encyclopedia of Alabama, so I’ve been reacquainting myself, of late, with the work of Emma Rylander Lane, who died in 1904. Mrs. Lane wasn’t a self-promoter. She had to be convinced that her cake creation should bear her last name. More here http://www.wets.org/index.cgi?BISKIT=2671553143&CONTEXT=cat&cat=10152

The cake is mentioned in To Kill A Mockingbird. I'll have to go back and re-read. I never noticed that.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com