Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR

Author
killerkelly7
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/06/21 10:15:58 (permalink)

Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR

I am doing a road trip from Las Vegas to Portland next week and am trying to find a few cool places to stop along the way.  Any ideas?

6 Replies Related Threads

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR 2010/06/21 10:26:57 (permalink)

Welcome to Roadfood!  But this topic should really be posted in the "Where Should I Eat" forum.

Try searching within that forum as well as the "Trip Reports" forum.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR 2010/06/21 13:15:49 (permalink)
    First of all, Welcome to the Roadfood website. I moved your thread to the forum that we hope will draw the most responses for you.

Good luck finding a 'cool route' between Vegas and Portland at this time of year!! I have done the drive many times in all seasons, and this is probably the least comfortable.  That Said, here are a couple of thoughts about routes to use.

1. The easern slope of the Sierras is higher and therefore probably a bit cooler than the desert valleys of Nevada. Use US 95 to the US 6 junc. at Coaldale NV. Take US 6 into California the 120 to its crossing of US 395. It may add a few miles, but it is quite scenic and much cooler.  A couple of decent cafes in TONOPAH (Home of the Muckers) Nevada !

2. Then go north on US 395. It stays in the mountains all the way into Oregon, except for the urban area around Carson City and Reno. Use US 20 west from the Burns,OR area to Corvallis and you are close to home .

3. Our last ride down US 93 from Idaho to vegas in 2004 was outstanding...Empty roads for miles and miles, but little to attract the eye or the tummy anywhere. Plus it was February so it was in the 20's not the 100's as it is today. Nice ride, but not a summer fun time.

4. US 95 from Reno to Idaho is also very empty, but adds quite a few miles to your trip.

Food,  My one big suggestion is to be sure to visit LOUIS BASQUE CORNER in Reno. Doing a search for Basque food  on this site will give more possibilities, but Louis's in Reno is an institution and well worth a visit. This is NOT light-snack food. Basques like their meals to be 'filling' and these are.  But for the end of a day's ride this is a great dinner to enjoy.

Hope this helps.
    AL
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR 2010/06/21 13:39:16 (permalink)
    What route are you taking?

Are you going through Boise Idaho? If so, I have several suggestions.

Regarding Reno, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Mayor Al.
    I was just in Reno last summer, although Louis Basque Corner was ok, the Santa Fe Hotel, which actually has been around longer than Louis' was much better... If you have time, do check both places out.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6748/santa-fe-hotel

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR 2010/06/21 15:26:15 (permalink)
    I yield to WJ's suggestion. His visit to both places is much more recent than mine and therefore probably more accurate.

Dale did you find anything on the US 95 ride north from Reno into Idaho???Neither did we!
    AL
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR 2010/06/21 16:08:20 (permalink)
    if you are coming across to the west side of the Cascades, I have several suggestions from Redding North to Portland.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Las Vegas, NV to Portland, OR 2010/06/21 17:54:55 (permalink)
    mayor al

I yield to WJ's suggestion. His visit to both places is much more recent than mine and therefore probably more accurate.

Dale did you find anything on the US 95 ride north from Reno into Idaho???Neither did we!
    AL

Al,

I believe I took US 95 to Winnemucca and then I80 west to Reno. The only oasis during the entire drive was The Martin Hotel in WInnemucca, other than that I was convinced that I was going to be abducted by little green men.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1