Las Vegas ???

Author
eagle6894
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
2012/01/11 15:39:22 (permalink)

Las Vegas ???

We will be flying into LAX and driving over to Vegas for a fee days for our wedding and we enjoy Roadfood places. Any help with the drive from LA(go to LA alot so no help there please) to Vegas and surrounding area will have a rental car and plan on driving to the Hoover Dam for sure.

22 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/11 16:22:35 (permalink)
    Congratulations!
    Suggest you use the search function provided on this site and enter Las Vegas. There's been TONS of places listed in various threads in here. There are 300 threads listed with reference to Las Vegas. Take your pick. There's enough to fill up a year of Roadfood Dining including places between LAX and Las Vegas. 
    eagle6894
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/11 16:34:04 (permalink)
    Thanks ASS!! I do know that but figured I might get some up to date stuff!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/11 16:39:43 (permalink)
    eagle6894
    Thanks ASS!! I do know that but figured I might get some up to date stuff!!

I was not trying to be a Smart Ass. I was merely suggesting that the search function can provide you with all the info you need including updated info. Most people don't realize how much info is in the archives of this site.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/11 16:54:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme,

If you read carefully, he did not call you a SMARTass!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/11 17:03:05 (permalink)
    I did send the individual a email and told the person to behave and use appropiate language or this indiviual would be cut loose.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tedsrfs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/11 22:32:25 (permalink)
    Thanks Sundancer.   That's more generous than this person deserves.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 08:35:32 (permalink)
    I think this exchange is kind of refreshing.
    There are many of us who do enjoy refreshed discussions about popular areas.
    I cringe when I see a heading for Orlando, Vegas and places like that ... it seems that the second post is always predictable.

Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 11:46:08 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Congratulations!
    Suggest you use the search function provided on this site and enter Las Vegas. There's been TONS of places listed in various threads in here. There are 300 threads listed with reference to Las Vegas. Take your pick. There's enough to fill up a year of Roadfood Dining including places between LAX and Las Vegas. 

I cringe when I see a heading for Orlando, Vegas and places like that ... it seems that the second post is always predictable. 

I did send the individual a email and told the person to behave and use appropiate language or this indiviual would be cut loose.  Did you send any other emails?

Its almost like they lurk around all day waiting to snipe the guy asking for new pertinent information. That guy will most likely never post again. Put another notch on the roadfood headboard. Thread killed!...Russ

Personally I thought eagle was just about right. He has been a member for four years. Decides to get some info on a trip to Vegas and on his first roll he gets craps. IMO eagle is in the right.
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2012/01/12 11:49:24
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 11:57:25 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson

Foodbme

Congratulations!

I did send the individual a email and told the person to behave and use appropiate language or this indiviual would be cut loose.  Did you send any other emails?

Its almost like they lurk around all day waiting to snipe the guy asking for new pertinent information. That guy will most likely never post again. Put another notch on the roadfood headboard. Thread killed!...Russ

Personally I thought eagle was just about right. He has been a member for four years. Decides to get some info on a trip to Vegas and on his first roll he gets craps. IMO eagle is in the right.

He didn't say he was looking for "New Pertinent information". He didn't indicate he had looked at other previous postings. I saw he only had 41 posts so I thought maybe he wasn't aware of all the info he could get by doing a search. I wasn't lurking and jumping on him, I was offering him a simple solution on how to get the info he was looking for.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/01/12 11:58:49
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 12:15:58 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Congratulations!

You actually congratulated him and the went to the effort and put 300 threads listed in bold? And you didn't think he might take it that way? If you searched and found out there was 300 threads why din't you go the extra mile and post a couple of the good ones? Or maybe add some of your personal favorites in the area. I took it the same way as eagle and it seems wheregreggeats did also....Russ
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 12:50:17 (permalink)
    Eagle ...
    My standard recs are: Hash House (not the Hash House a gogo) ... I'm talking about the nice family-run place in a strip center on Decatur.
    And Don Jose's for Mexican, up by the Stratosphere.
    There is a calzone place in some strip mall on the other side of town ... it gets many raves ... I found it VERY salty.

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 12:52:15 (permalink)
    Also, I wonder if there are any places reviewed along that highway to Vegas ... You will find some decent places in CA before you head out, like Farmer Brothers (?) and others reviewed here
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 13:11:59 (permalink)
    I second Wheregreggeats recommendation of  Don Jose's.

Also can't forget the Golden Steer- Old School Vegas steakhouse that's about a mile off the strip.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 13:31:28 (permalink)
    We really liked:

Mamacita’s Mexican & Cuban Resaurant – 611 E. Fremont St. (702)474-7033
    (across from El Cortez)

LUV-IT CUSTARD  (walking distance of Strat.)      (702) 384-6452
    505 E. Oakey Blvd.    

SWISS CAFÉ RESTAURANT  (German)
    3175 E. Tropicana Ave – St.B (in strip mall) (between McLeod / Pecos Rd.)
    (702)435-9338
    Lunch (M-F only: 11:00-2:30PM)  Dinner (M-Sat: 5:00-10:00PM)  Closed on Sundays

THE PEPPERMILL COFFEE SHOP     
    2985 Las Vegas Blvd. (between Stardust – the Riviera – near Circus Cicus)
    Open 24 hours – daily
    (702)735-4177

IN-N-OUT    (not really great, but if you've never been .....)
    4888 Dean Martin Blvd.  (a short drive from New York New York)           
    Sun-Thus: 10:30-1:00AM   F-Sat:10:30-1:30AM

We also had to get a giant 99 cent hot dog at Slots-of-Fun next to Circus Circus.  They may be $2 now.
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 14:04:03 (permalink)
    When I was in Vegas in October I took a client's advice and walked down to the Hash House a go go from my hotel (Paris).  While I would not consider it strictly road food I would highly recommend it.  My client lives in Vegas and told me that Hash House a go go is their go to place in Vegas.  My wife and I had an outstanding breakfast there. 

I really wanted to try the Hash House that was mentioned earlier in this thred but just decided it was easier to walk down the street.

If you do decide to go to Hash House a Go Go I would suggest you try the Sage Fried Chicken Eggs Benedict it is outstanding but I would also suggest you make it a brunch type meal because it is to big to have for breakfast and then hope to eat 3 or 4 hours later.

I might also suggest Battista's Hole in the wall.  It is a long running restaurant that is off the strip by a block or so (behind ballys and Paris) that I wasn't able to make it to but I have heard nothing but good about from locals and frequent Vegas visitors.  This restaurant has been a Vegas staple since the days of the Rat Pack.

Also don't let Foodbme bother you, he has thumped me a couple times as well.  Anytime somebody asks for suggestions that seems to be his standard reply.  It is almost as if he enjoys killing threads.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 14:06:54 (permalink)
    Eagle, are you still tuned in ???
    I hope so.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 14:16:17 (permalink)
    Rocky Enfield

When I was in Vegas in October I took a client's advice and walked down to the Hash House a go go from my hotel (Paris).  While I would not consider it strictly road food I would highly recommend it.  

Why wouldn't you consider it Roadfood ? - I've never been and I'm curious
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 16:27:03 (permalink)
    @wanderingjew A little to flashy maybe and certainy not cheap.  Maybe I am wrong but when I think of roadfood I think more along the line of little independent diners, truckstops, delis, etc where you can get hearty portions at reasonable prices. 
    While I am  not quibbling about the price of my breakfast ($12.95 for the breakfast entree) it is certainly more than I am accustomed to paying for breakfast in Indiana.  The value for the money was certainly there because I had breakfast at 10am in Vegas and didn't eat again until 10pm in Chicago and was not famished at that point so I certainly got a lot of food for the money and the quality and taste was excellent.

I guess one of the great things about roadfood is that it is open to interpetation as to what is and what isn't and it certainly can lead to some lively discussions.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 16:51:57 (permalink)
    Rocky Enfield

@wanderingjew A little to flashy maybe and certainy not cheap.  Maybe I am wrong but when I think of roadfood I think more along the line of little independent diners, truckstops, delis, etc where you can get hearty portions at reasonable prices. 
    While I am  not quibbling about the price of my breakfast ($12.95 for the breakfast entree) it is certainly more than I am accustomed to paying for breakfast in Indiana.  The value for the money was certainly there because I had breakfast at 10am in Vegas and didn't eat again until 10pm in Chicago and was not famished at that point so I certainly got a lot of food for the money and the quality and taste was excellent.

I guess one of the great things about roadfood is that it is open to interpetation as to what is and what isn't and it certainly can lead to some lively discussions.

Rocky, have you ever read the Stern's Pre Website Books? You might be in for a surprise. It's true, roadfood is almost always inexpensive, but the key word is almost, however regionality- food that's unique to a local region
    was more the emphasis, especially in the Pre Website books.

believe it or not the following restaurants are  in fact considered "Roadfood"

http://www.galatoires.com/

http://www.johnnyscafe.com/

http://www.joesstonecrab.com/

http://calrollfactory.com/

post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/01/12 16:53:33
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2455
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/12 16:59:29 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Congratulations!

There is nothing wrong with foodbme's answer to the OP, All the OP had to do is say "Thanks Foodbme, I know about the search, I was looking for updated places" The OP decided to call the person trying to help him an A-S.........That's Bull, he should be the one to apologize......pnwc
    Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/18 12:48:36 (permalink)
    2nd to Battista's Hole In the Wall. There are other places I enjoy on the Strip that aren't really what I would define as Roadfood (mostly because theya re shiny and new and slightly expensive) but they are still good..
    Stripburger
    The Deli in Treasure Island (too lazy to look up the name)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Las Vegas ??? 2012/01/18 13:16:49 (permalink)
    Play27

2nd to Battista's Hole In the Wall. There are other places I enjoy on the Strip that aren't really what I would define as Roadfood (mostly because theya re shiny and new and slightly expensive) but they are still good..
    Stripburger
    The Deli in Treasure Island (too lazy to look up the name)

of course shiny and new and slightly expensive can be considered roadfood-

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1