The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Last Meal

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 10:11 AM (permalink)
A friend of mine recently told me about a website that lists the final meal requests of inmates on Texas's death row. Although I thought this to be extremely morbid, I looked it up and found it quite interesting. The politics of capital punishment aside, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread asking roadfooders what their request would be. Assume any establishment in the country, or the world for that matter, could fill your order. Pick as many as you like. I myself am still trying to come up with mine, but I'll get there eventually. Have fun!!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 10:58 AM (permalink)
    that is an interesting website. It seemed like the number one choice was cheeseburgers.

I suppose if I had to make the choice, assuming I could eat, I would opt for my ultimate comfort meal:

meatloaf
    mashed potatoes with gravy
    fresh green beans with new potatoes
    cornbread
    blackberry cobbler
    ice tea

Lone Star

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 10:59 AM (permalink)
      btw, here is the link to the website:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/finalmeals.htm

Dipstick

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 11:14 AM (permalink)
        I must admit, one's ability to consume anything would probably be limited. Thankfully this is just an imaginary scenario for all of us. I hope!

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
          RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 11:44 AM (permalink)
          It sounds like many of them were trying to kill themselves by overeating.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
            RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 12:24 PM (permalink)
            After just reading "The Client" by John Grisham, I really find it hard to answer, BUT, I think it would have to been surf/turf/baked potato with butter sour cream, and a tall sweet tea. Brought in from the outside of course. I wouldn't want any prison "chef" near it!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3557
              RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 12:38 PM (permalink)
              Seems we have visited this subject before. For a close look at the last results see this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=757&SearchTerms=last,meal

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 12:40 PM (permalink)
                I might opt for a bunch of food I hate, just to make my imminent demise not seem so bad...

But, assuming I wanted to enjoy myself:

* A big plate of spaghetti and tomato sauce
                * A piece of steak
                * Italian bread and butter
                * A variety of cheeses, including chedder
                * A variety of chocolate, pies and donuts for dessert
                * Welch's grape soda.

I hope they're not putting me in the chair, because the resulting explosion might take out a few additional people.

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
                  RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 1:03 PM (permalink)
                  Easily a seafood and BBQ fest! Start out with 2-3 dozen Little Neck Clams Ice Cold on the Half-Shell followed Maryland Blue Claw Crabs perfectly steamed in copious amounts of beer and Old Bay. After the appetizers are done a huge rack of dry rub BBQ Baby-Backs, Corn on the cob and good ole Southern Biscuits. During this entire final gastronomic feat Oyster and Pepper Vodka Shooters and large amounts of my favorite pale lager! Dessert would consist of premium roast coffees with liberal shots of Sambuca and Amaretto liquers.

Rusty246

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 1:10 PM (permalink)
                    May I ask what oyster and pepper vodka shooters are? Sorry, I don't get out much anymore!

Craig328

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 1:16 PM (permalink)
                      Fresh ice cold chucked Oyster served in a small brandy sifter with a shot (or two) of chilled Absolute Pepper Vodka and dash of lemon, cocktail or hot sauce. A must try!

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
                        RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 1:25 PM (permalink)
                        Has anyone noticed that the ads on this thread are for Gorillas and Dads? What does this say about people condemned on capital charges

My last meal would be as follows

West Indies Salad (with claw meat, not lump)
                        Butter Lettuce, grapefruit and Avacado Salad from Joes in Livonia, LA
                        Charbroiled Oysters from Dragos in Metairie, LA
                        Trout Bacquet from Eddie's on Law St. in New Orleans
                        My Mama's Squash Casserole
                        Pecan Pie from Lea's in Lecompte, LA
                        Peach Cobbler made by me
                        Strong, unsweetened ice tea
                        Community Dark Roast w/whole cream from Mauthe's Dairy in Folsom, LA

With all of the caffeine, they may have to up the juice in order to put me down

Hopefully, when I get caught I will be "Angola Bound" (apologies to the Neville Bros.) because otherwise I might have some trouble with this menu.

Dipstick

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 1:45 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by EdSails

Seems we have visited this subject before. For a close look at the last results see this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=757&SearchTerms=last,meal

Yes indeed, this subject was visited previously.Could of swore I checked the archives. Sorry about that. It still is interesting though. Food for thought, so to speak!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3557
                            RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 1:53 PM (permalink)
                            Yeah.................now if I could only do something like "Groundhog Day" where I could have my favorite last meal every day!

Rusty246

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 2:00 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Craig328

Fresh ice cold chucked Oyster served in a small brandy sifter with a shot (or two) of chilled Absolute Pepper Vodka and dash of lemon, cocktail or hot sauce. A must try!

I'm in love..........I will try that, and SOON!

Craig328

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                There's a variation that I used last Labor Day and will repeat for Christmas taking Fresh Chucked Oysters and allowing them to marinate for at least 60 minutes in a container of Pepper Vodka. Clean the oyster shells and return the marinated (now drunk) Oysters back to their shells for presentation. Prepare the reassembled oysters with lemon and a dash of cocktail sauce. Right before serving take some more pepper vodka and drizzle it over the shells. Serve Ice Cold; like a rich man's Jell-O shots! Amazing.

Rusty246

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                  Well now I'm thinking of how I might bypass shucking them. Only myself and a few select friends will be dining on these incredible sounding morsels. My husband can't stand them so trying to get him to shuck me a few dozen might be a difficult task. I'll come up with something, starting out with a good fresh pint of locally shucked. Hell, maybe I'll buy some of those little jell-o shot cups, add oysters as you have described and pass a tray! We have many oyster roasts a year, once the oysters have slightly broken free, watch out I'll shuck for hours!

Dipstick

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                    After some serious thought and prolonged drooling , I think the creator of this debacle has come up with his last meal request.
                                    - Liver pate
                                    - Lobster Bisque
                                    - Caesar Salad
                                    - Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon with Sauce Bernaise
                                    - Baked potato stuffed with everything but the kitchen sink
                                    - Steamed asparagus
                                    - a quart of Butter-Pecan ice cream

I'd be in Heaven before I even got there. (or maybe...)

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6220
                                      RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 7:07 PM (permalink)
                                      Turn me loose in N'awlins and just let me eat everything in sight, washed down with a couple of Turbo Dogs........sheesh, whadda way to go.

Lone Star

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                        What's a turbo dog?

It could be a description of my bosses's Jack Russell Terrier who "works" with us daily. That dog can spin itself into a frenzy like a top in a twister. He sometimes falls over.

lleechef

RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                          Lone Star, That's exactly what happens when you have consumed one too many Turbo Dogs.......you'll spin in a frenzy then fall over. It's a pretty awesome beer brewed in Abita Springs, LA, and from what I understand, our Raconteur du Jour, noneother than our beloved Mayhaw Man had something to do with the recipe, having been brewmaster at the above forementioned.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
                                            RE: Last Meal Thu, 10/9/03 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by lleechef

Lone Star, That's exactly what happens when you have consumed one too many Turbo Dogs.......you'll spin in a frenzy then fall over. It's a pretty awesome beer brewed in Abita Springs, LA, and from what I understand, our Raconteur du Jour, noneother than our beloved Mayhaw Man had something to do with the recipe, having been brewmaster at the above forementioned.

You know, my friends Geoff and Marcy Larsen run a pretty tight ship themselves up there in Alaska (and Seattle). They started about the same exact time as Abita and we grew together for quite a while. Alaskan Amber is one real pleasure in a world full of overpriced and overrated malt beverages.

Turbodog is best described as a light bodied dark beer that is mot very aggressively hopped, but because of dry hopping (hops added to the fermenter when the beer is cold rather than to the kettle when the beer is hot) it has a nice crisp bitterness in the finish. A nice beer. Great with seafood.

I have nothing to do with the brewery at this point, neither does anyone else who helped start it and run it for years, but I am still proud of my work and do still get some pleasure out of seeing Em wave them around on TV every night. In case anyone ever wonders about that, he started doing that on his own. The promotional deal that runs at the end of the show is something that was worked out later. He really does like the stuff. Last night he boiled some shrimp in beer instead of crab boil and of course, he used Abita Amber. (which, incidentally, is very similar to Alaskan Amber, just a tad more on the malty sweet side.

lleechef

RE: Last Meal Fri, 10/10/03 2:13 AM (permalink)
                                              Mayhaw, when we're not drinkin "swill beer" which I hate, but in cans suitable for the boat or the camper, our beer of choice is Alaskan Amber. But I must admit, I do love a cold Turbo Dog!!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Last Meal Fri, 10/10/03 4:58 AM (permalink)
                                                My last meal would consist of;

At least a dz if not 2 of fresh shucked oysters with fresh lemon juice, a bit of horseradish or cocktail sauce and Tabasco sauce.
                                                A real hand made, with raw egg and fresh garlic croutons Ceaser Salad
                                                A lb of large steamed shrimp done in Old Bay and beer.
                                                A mess of lg sea scallops, both fried and sauteed in garlic and butter.
                                                A filet, med-rare with apple smoked bacon.
                                                And a chocolate souffle and rich coffee for dessert.

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Last Meal Fri, 10/10/03 5:01 AM (permalink)
                                                  As to oyster shooters I learned of these back in July while in Annapolis, Md. I love these! I've only had one with vodka but next time I get to Annapolis you can bet that I'm going to try the pepper vodka oyster shooter! Boy oh boy, I can't wait until 10/27 to get there.

MikeS.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                                    RE: Last Meal Fri, 10/10/03 5:40 AM (permalink)
                                                    Steamed Clams and drawn butter
                                                    Artichoke Hearts stuffed with jumbo lump crabmeat, doused in some freshly prepared hollandaise, some frizzles of grated cheeses on top and broiled
                                                    Filet Mignon stuffed with lump crab, surrounded by bacon and smothered in asti spumante sauce
                                                    Pulled Pork BBQ
                                                    falafel , tabboulleh and hummus with homemade pita
                                                    corn on the cob, fresh sliced 'maters,fried breaded yellow squash
                                                    Duchesse Potatoes-made with whipping cream, butter and a dash of nutmeg
                                                    golden turkey gravy
                                                    fresh baked ciabatta bread with roasted garlic puree and my Mama's feather rolls
                                                    chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

If they're gonna usher me out, they're gonna fatten me up for the killin'

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com