The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Late Fall Early Spring Get together

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Sun, 02/7/10 1:56 PM (permalink)
JRPfeff
I threatened Bobbi with this place.  I don't think I have ever eaten there, but my parents ate there every day after my dad retired.  Might be worth a scouting trip by one of the Brad_ Olson clones.  Definitely RoadFood.

They have quiche!!!!! I am in.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
    Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Sun, 02/7/10 2:45 PM (permalink)
    JRPfeff

We need Brad along on this one, since it is his home base.

Roadfooder Pancho is being awfully quiet...

Small-town and rural taverns are my home base.  I'm not hoity-toity enough for Madison.

JRPfeff

I threatened Bobbi with this place.  I don't think I have ever eaten there, but my parents ate there every day after my dad retired.  Might be worth a scouting trip by one of the Brad_ Olson clones.  Definitely RoadFood.

Papa Bear's BBQ is just west of there on Cottage Grove Road, although I've never eaten there and haven't been in the area for a long time, so I don't even know if it's still open.  Maybe some Saturday I might take a spin up that way to see what's going on.

And not too far from there is Papa Coronofoulos on Buckeye Road.  I hear the people in the Chicago area are desperate for good hot dogs so a stop here might be seen as a godsend.

Brad

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
      Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Sun, 02/7/10 3:16 PM (permalink)
      Brad_Olson

And not too far from there is Papa Coronofoulos on Buckeye Road.  I hear the people in the Chicago area are desperate for good hot dogs so a stop here might be seen as a godsend.

Brad

Thank goodness
      you found this place Brad.  We Flatlanders are totally Hot Dog deprived!  How soon can we visit this place?  And can we get ketchup on our dogs?

Buddy

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 603
        Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Mon, 02/8/10 9:56 AM (permalink)
        Just a reality check from us suburbanites...
        How long a drive to Madison?
        is this a day or overnight jaunt...?

ScreamingChicken

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Mon, 02/8/10 10:23 AM (permalink)
          From Deerfield it's probably 2-1/2 to 3 hours.  Generally I-90 is the better route between Madison and Chicagoland although I see that you're closer to I-94, but if you have the time US-14 isn't a bad drive once you get past the Traffic Hell known as Crystal Lake.

Regardless of whether this turns out to be a Saturday or Sunday shindig there's enough to see and do in Madison to make an overnight stay worthwhile.

Brad
          <message edited by Brad_Olson on Mon, 02/8/10 10:26 AM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
            Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Mon, 02/8/10 10:49 AM (permalink)
            It is a 5 hour drive from the west side of Minneapolis. We made that trip numerous times when our daughter went to the University of Wisconsin Madison.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Mon, 02/8/10 12:10 PM (permalink)
              I was stumbling around the Web and came across this blog:

http://www.madisonatoz.com/

I admire their determination!

Brad

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Mon, 02/8/10 1:26 PM (permalink)
                irisarbor

Just a reality check from us suburbanites...
                How long a drive to Madison?
                is this a day or overnight jaunt...?

iris, we've made the drive in about 2 1/2 hours.  With an early start and an extra cup of coffee before heading back home, Madison is easily a one day turn around, although I agree with Brad, there's enough there to make it an overnight.

I-90 is the most direct route.  I-94 will also get you there with fewer tolls and, although it doesn't look like it on a map, perhaps a few minutes shaved off the travel time.  Route 12 is a pleasant rural drive, but will take you forever and a day to get there.

If we go (probably will if it's a Sunday excursion), we will do it as a one day round trip.

Buddy

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                  Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Wed, 02/10/10 5:54 PM (permalink)
                  Brad_Olson

I was stumbling around the Web and came across this blog:

http://www.madisonatoz.com/

I admire their determination!

Brad

After going to the great blog Brad linked to above, I knew we had to get JM & Nichole to join us for our May Eat & Greet in Madison.

MadisonAtoZ.com

What is it?
                  They say Madison has the most restaurants per capita of any city in the U.S. JM likes lists and Nichole likes to eat, so we decided to eat at (nearly) every restaurant in Madison in alphabetical order.

Here's our method: from Isthmus' (a local free weekly) "Eats" list, we print the list of restaurants beginning with the next letter, and go to each place in order, one time.

How Roadfoodie is that?  I contacted them by e-mail with an invitation to join our Eat & Greet and received an enthusiastic response.

I also asked N & JM for advice on our stops on May 2.  Here are their thoughts.
                  Now for some recs. We saw these places in your discussion and heartily second them:

Vientiane
                  Chautara
                  Doug's Soul Food
                  Cottage Cafe
                  Papa Bear's BBQ
                  Poppa Coronofoulos

We'll throw these into the ring, as well - though we haven't checked hours of operation:

Corner Store (crouching grocery, hidden curry)
                  Curve (best greasy spoon in town)
                  Greenbush Bar (Italian workingman's fare with a little more style and no pretension)
                  Luckenbooth Restaurant (a bit far afield, in Blark Earth, but great pie and Scottish breakfast)
                  Lucky Seven (divey homestyle Mexican OMG good)
                  Mediterrranean Cafe (cheap, fast, and line out the door most weekdays)
                  Michael's Frozen Custard (small local chain, in 4 rehabbed gas stations)
                  Mickey's Tavern (half off drinks Sunday afternoons if you're playing board games)
                  Nick's Restaurant (legacy downtown bar/diner)
                  Pat O'Malley's Jet Room (apparently we wrote so highly of this place that the local paper picked it up, and wrecked the secret for the regulars)

And here are some we haven't posted on yet, but know are good:
                  Anna's Pizzeria (Sun Prairie but dang good pies)
                  Carnival's (new soft-serve and hot dog place, they win the ballsy award for opening in the middle of winter)
                  The Haze (as fancy as we're going to recommend - lunch $8. Asian fusion BBQ, most value-driven of local culinary star Muramoto's ventures)
                  Smoky Jon's No. 1 BBQ (self-explanatory)

This is a great list to start from (Corner Store - Can you say Dining ala Trunk?), but we can keep looking

I would also like to include at least one stop at a Madison A to Z review location.  N & JM expect to be in the R's by early May and they think Rising Sons Deli is probably the best bet.  We'll keep in touch as the tour gets closer to finalize this stop.

If you haven't yet, go to Madison A to Z and explore. 

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Wed, 02/10/10 7:26 PM (permalink)
                    Yay!  My good taste is confirmed by two people who I don't know.  My life is complete!  So, they like Vientiane and Chautara, any word on Himal Chuli?

Buddy

JRPfeff

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Wed, 02/10/10 8:30 PM (permalink)
                      Buddy,

Their review is here.  This is the punchline.
                      There were some rough spots in our experience, though. We were short on water through most of the meal, which was a challenge given of the spiciness of the dishes. That, and the earlier annoyances, added up - but as Jim reiterated, the food was really good: "There's something to be said for a place whose food can overcome those annoyances."

We wouldn't recommend Himal Chuli as a first-date-type place, or somewhere you'd take a large group, but for simple, fortifying veggie-friendly food that will expand your comfort zone, it hits the spot.
                      Jim

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Wed, 02/10/10 9:43 PM (permalink)
                        Three for three!  Yes!

Buddy

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 164
                          Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Thu, 02/11/10 5:23 PM (permalink)
                          Count me in on this one. Got May 2 on my calendar.

I am really excited about this. I don't know Madison at all, and I love exploring new places and cities. I was in the Capitol Building one time to attend an award ceremony, but didn't spend any time in the city.

Not picky at all about cuisines or locations, I can find lots to eat on any menu or at grocery.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Thu, 02/18/10 9:59 AM (permalink)
                            Apparently Brickhouse BBQ opened last year on Gorham St.  I didn't find a website for the restaurant but found this on a local dining coupon site.

Is it time to change the title of this thread?

Brad
                            <message edited by Brad_Olson on Thu, 02/18/10 10:50 AM>

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 695
                              Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Fri, 02/19/10 11:05 AM (permalink)
                              Brad_Olson

Apparently Brickhouse BBQ opened last year on Gorham St.  I didn't find a website for the restaurant but found this on a local dining coupon site.

Is it time to change the title of this thread?

Brad

I think at least change it to mention the date we picked.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Fri, 02/19/10 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                [This post was marked as helpful]
                                Or start a new thread devoted to this trip.  The original poster's intention was to get general information on our activities.  Now that the thread has morphed into a discussion of a specific trip, it no longer bears relevance to the original question asked.

Brad, Madison is your stomping grounds, take the reins and steer this wagon train into a new thread, dedicated to the trip you want to put together.

Buddy

JRPfeff

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Fri, 02/19/10 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                  I contacted starlady and she will change the name of the thread.

jrp

starlady

• Total Posts: 7
                                    Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Sun, 02/21/10 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                    Jeff, I hope I changed the name of the link correctly.  I am only now somewhat getting the hang of how to work these "links etc."

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Late Fall Early Spring Get together Sun, 02/21/10 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                      starlady,

Unfortunately, your change didn't take hold.  No big deal.  I still think there should be a new, separate thread announcing this trip.  We missed a lot of Contingent members on our last couple of get togethers because of misplaced or mis-titled threads.  Your original intent was to get general information on our activities and I think (I hope) we've satisfied that need.

We look forward to having you join us in our various travels now that you know how to keep track of what we're doing.  Now though, it's time to start a new thread here to discuss the Madison trip on May 2, 2010.  I hope to see you there (both at the thread and on the tour).

Buddy
                                      <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 02/21/10 2:58 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com