Latest Poll: Pancakes

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 08:18:00 (permalink)
Maple syrup has fewer calories and a higher concentration of minerals than honey (including manganese, zinc, calcium, potassium, etc.), includes vitamins (B2, B5, B6, niacin, biotin and folic acid), amino acids, the same calcium content as whole milk without the health concerns, and only 40 calories per tablespoon (60 calories for corn syrup).  Additionally, it's not cloyingly sweet and is acceptable for vegans.  I've had several physicians strongly recommend it over other forms of syrup and refined sugar.  However, it’s understandable that one may or may not like the flavor.  That’s ultimately a matter of preference.  Personally, you can just call me Maple-Breath (“But ya doesn't has to call me Johnson!”). 
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/02/09 08:27:08
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 09:08:05 (permalink)
Maple syrup has 50 calories per tablespoon, not 40.  Yes, maple syrup has B2, but honey has almost four times as much B2.  Honey also has almost twice the B5, and 12 times the B6, twice the phosphorous, and some B9 and C, which isn't in maple syrup.

Comparing the nutritional profile of maple syrup versus honey ... we use them in small quantities, and neither has a lot of nutrients compared to their calories.  I don't think it's reasonable to tout one over the other based on health concerns (unless one has an allergy or something).  I use more maple syrup than honey because I love the taste.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6324
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 09:25:18 (permalink)

Aunt Jemima Regular Pancake Syrup: 32 grams sugar in 60 ml
Hungry Jack Original Pancake Syrup: 31 grams sugar in 60 ml
Log Cabin Original: 33 grams per 60 ml
Maple Grove Farms Medium Amber Maple Syrup: 46 grams sugar in 60 ml

Their website says 38 grams for Medium Amber Maple Syrup and 53 grams for pure organic grade A Maple Syrup and they list only pure maple syrup as the ingredient for both. I'm not sure why so much difference between the two. So I suppose all the other additives make up the difference in Log Cabin with 31-32 grams, etc. But that is nitpicking. In the end no matter how well you digest and process sucrose, fructose, glucose; sugar is sugar and nothing but an empty calorie. I also know from observation people will add a lot more pure maple syrup to a pancake because of the thin consistency soaking in. I almost cringe when they do knowing how much labor goes into making it. I dole it out carefully and have the other stuff on hand for those that fall for the thick gooey look. I'm down to my last jar and tapping and sugaring is still more than a month away.

Try pure maple syrup on a baked sweet potato. Just two teaspoons (more calories than the potato). That's what I did last night.
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 09:48:47 (permalink)
Maple syrup and sweet potatoes are wonderful together!

I think the relatively low amount of sugar in pancake syrup is because they use mostly regular corn syrup (like what you get in a bottle of Karo).  They also use HFCS, which is sweeter, but you'll see in the ingredient list that corn syrup is the primary ingredient (which accounts for its thickness).  Regular corn syrup has a lower sugar content than maple syrup, but a similar calorie content.  I don't fully understand how it works but I think the remaining calories in corn syrup is due to a high polysaccharide content.  Corn syrup is made from corn starch, and all the calories come from carbohydrates, so if it isn't coming from sugars it's coming from starches, right?  My limited understanding of this subject says that carbs are either mono- or di-saccharides (sugars), or polysaccharides (starch).
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 09:57:07 (permalink)
Sugar of any kind is technically a carbohydrate. Like I said, I think it is nitpicking and definitely a guilty pleasure to use. Any of them in moderation is not going to harm you but you do have to realize your body can only consume so many calories and each sugar calorie is going to take away and substitute for some more nutritive calorie.
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 10:00:06 (permalink)
Oh, that Maple Grove Farms thing: look more closely and you'll see that it's 38 grams of sugar in a 50 ml serving, not 60 ml.  And their 53 grams for the organic can't be right, because it also says 200 calories, and 53 grams of sugar has more than 200 calories.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 11:03:36 (permalink)
To put it in perspective, If you are a diabetic, don't want to become one, or have high levels of blood sugar, stay away from any hi glycemic sweetener. Trust me, I love honey and pure maple syrup. But I use them very sparingly. When I make my delicious pancakes, (with various whole grains) I mix my pure maple syrup with a good sugar free brand (Maple Grove Farms) that actually contains real maple flavor and is sweetened with Splenda. 0 calories and only 11 carbs per tablespoon. Sure beats Log Cabin.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 11:16:21 (permalink)
Correction to my above post:
According to the "Maple Grove Farms Maple Flavor Sugar Free Syrup" nutrition facts label, 1/4 cup contains:
30 calories
110 mg. Sodium.
11 grams carbs.
10 grams Sorbitol.
0 sugars.

post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/02/09 11:19:03
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 11:47:59 (permalink)
Davydd
What I said. Maple syrup is nothing but sugar and water. Pancake syrup is nothing but sugar and water and additives. Given equal volume, say a teaspoon, I am pretty sure pure Maple syrup just has a higher water content being much more thinner liquid unless the pancake syrups are just artificially doctored with thickeners. Corn syrup is much cheaper than Maple syrup so I would see no why they would use less. Nevertheless, sugar is sugar. I can't compare definitively because my jars of homemade Maple syrup have no labels.

If syrup is thicker, it's not necessarily just because of thickeners.  Most Canadian maple syrup is supposed to be boiled down to 66.0 on the Brix scale (measure of sugar content, basically density).  Vermont and  New Hampshire require at least a 66.9 Brix, and while it doesn't sound much different, the results are noticeable.  If I go to Walmart and buy some cheap 100% maple syrup (usually from Canada) and compare it to locally procured 100% pure maple syrup (my own trees, Vermont, etc), the former splashes almost like water, and the latter is noticeably thicker (although not as thick as, say, your typical Aunt Jemima...)
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 13:00:59 (permalink)
All this talk of maple syrup makes me want pancakes NOW, and I dont even like them!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 13:58:45 (permalink)
kaszeta

Davydd
What I said. Maple syrup is nothing but sugar and water. Pancake syrup is nothing but sugar and water and additives. Given equal volume, say a teaspoon, I am pretty sure pure Maple syrup just has a higher water content being much more thinner liquid unless the pancake syrups are just artificially doctored with thickeners. Corn syrup is much cheaper than Maple syrup so I would see no why they would use less. Nevertheless, sugar is sugar. I can't compare definitively because my jars of homemade Maple syrup have no labels.

If syrup is thicker, it's not necessarily just because of thickeners.  Most Canadian maple syrup is supposed to be boiled down to 66.0 on the Brix scale (measure of sugar content, basically density).  Vermont and  New Hampshire require at least a 66.9 Brix, and while it doesn't sound much different, the results are noticeable.  If I go to Walmart and buy some cheap 100% maple syrup (usually from Canada) and compare it to locally procured 100% pure maple syrup (my own trees, Vermont, etc), the former splashes almost like water, and the latter is noticeably thicker (although not as thick as, say, your typical Aunt Jemima...)

Even your 100% pure Maple Syrup at 66.9 Brix does not come anywhere close to Aunt Jemima thickness. There is just a very small window when sap becomes syrup and then flashes over hard sugar. Keep in mind you can call something Maple Syrup in America even if it contains but 51% real Maple syrup. Cracker Barrel restaurants are guilty of that practice and I've known people to gush over their syrup. I doubt many sugarers are cheating. Most all are independents. If anything Walmart may either be selling not 100% or some post processor is cutting it if it is that noticeably thinner. I've never tried Walmart's so am only speculating if it is that different.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 778
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 15:48:18 (permalink)
OK, I'll admit it, no one else will. I use Mrs. Butterworth, also like peanut butter on pancakes. As well as on waffles and french toast.
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 15:58:32 (permalink)
Davydd Keep in mind you can call something Maple Syrup in America even if it contains but 51% real Maple syrup.

I don't believe that is correct.  Federal regs say it must be 100% maple syrup.  Only salt, preservatives, and defoaming agents may be added. 
http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/1..40-maple-sirup-19705560
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/02/09 23:49:18 (permalink)
I love pancakes. They are my favorite out-to-eat breakfast as I don't have the patience to make them here.

Maple syrup, blueberry syrup, raspberry syrup, boysenberry syrup, honey, orange marmalade, apricot syrup, peanut butter, BRING IT ON!!!

Real butter only.

Georgieporgie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/03/01 10:59:49 (permalink)
The best pancakes I ever ate: oatmeal pancakes with mango sauce (a sort of mango honey puree)
I will never crave another pancake... El Banditos brunch here I come!
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/03/01 11:36:13 (permalink)
thin buckwheats with plenty of butter and hot grade a maple syrup but Imake a well in the middle of the pancake and put the butter and syrup there
guiller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/03/02 04:15:55 (permalink)
i like pancakes too.. want to have my for a delicious cakes???
ill send you one. just pm me and by the way this is a family secret but since i felt your desire.. you can have it FOR FREE.. nyahahaha
TFitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
Re:Latest Poll: Pancakes 2011/03/10 17:59:22 (permalink)
I like butter and syrup but my kids like their pancakes/waffles with butter and powdered sugar (10x). It's tough to find a place that serves powdered sugar on the road. A couple of times we have gotten some at Waffle houses in the south you just have to ask for 10x sugar.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1