The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Mon, 01/26/09 3:42 PM (permalink)
Dr. Stern,
How do they prepare/cook  the Roast Pork???

MiamiDon

Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Tue, 01/27/09 5:10 AM (permalink)

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
      Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 9:37 AM (permalink)
      I see they make a cheesesteak sandwich, too.  Is that the sandwich voted Best Cheesesteak?  Not according to their website - "Philly Celeb Judges Vote John's Roast Pork Best Philly Cheesesteak"  Confusing....

I never heard of "Top Choice" referring to pork. 

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
        Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 9:52 AM (permalink)
        Baah Ben

I see they make a cheesesteak sandwich, too.  Is that the sandwich voted Best Cheesesteak?  Not according to their website - "Philly Celeb Judges Vote John's Roast Pork Best Philly Cheesesteak"  Confusing....

Good point Baah Ben,

I never heard of pork being rated like beef or lamb.

phlmaestro

Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 10:51 AM (permalink)
          I'm not aware of any rankings of roast pork sandwiches either, but I've heard or read of a number of people referring to John's as having the best over the years. If there ever were a set of rankings to come out, I'd bet that this place would be on top.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
            Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 11:24 AM (permalink)
            I like Tony Luke's Roast Pork Italian a little bit better, but both are wonderful!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
              Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 11:26 AM (permalink)
              Baah Ben

That's because there is no such grade. In fact, the USDA does not grade any pork products.

But, if you really feel a need for Top Choice pork:

http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=77107&idcategory=584

MiamiDon

Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 11:31 AM (permalink)

Looks kind of dry.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                  Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 12:29 PM (permalink)
                  I bet it's moist inside and the bread has sopped up a lot of the juice. The spinach is a great touch and that surely aids the moistness as well. I agree cheese would be overkill.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                    Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 1:07 PM (permalink)
                    I think he might have been referring to the pork bone from the pet food place.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                      Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 1:16 PM (permalink)
                      The roast pork italian (pork, rabe, sharp provolone) I had at Tony Luke's during my trip to Philadelphia a few years back was the second best sandwich I ever ate in my life. (the best was during he same trip - the Mama Mia at Campo's)

(the lighting here was terrible, sorry for the pic quality)

Had I had time during the day, I would have gone to Johns Roast Pork.....but thankfully, Tony Lukes has much longer hours and I was able to hit it around midnight

I will bet based on my reading that the sandwich at John's is even better

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                        • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 1:39 PM (permalink)
                        A few years ago, I think it was Craig Laban (a Philly writer) who did an informal survey and crowned John's the best cheesesteak in Philly.

I've never had the cheesesteak there as when I do make it to John's when they are open, I can't resist the roast pork.  They have a seeded roll that makes the sandwich that much better, and the spinach they use is just as good (IMO) than the rabe you get at Tony Luke's or DiNic's.

One of these days I'll ahve to make a two week-day trip to Philly so I can try the cheesesteak at John's as well as the roast pork (which is absolutely moist, messy and delicious).

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                          Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/28/09 3:43 PM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

I think he might have been referring to the pork bone from the pet food place.
                          Duuuh! Sorry. I didn't even look at the link.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                            Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Wed, 01/26/11 12:31 AM (permalink)
                            Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods just featured John's Pork on tonights show. Got to see how they cooked the pork and made the Cheesesteak Sandwiches. Fantastic looking food! As soon as they get rid of the snow, I'll be there!
                            http://www.johnsroastpork.com/
                            <message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 01/26/11 12:36 AM>

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                              Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Tue, 02/8/11 3:29 PM (permalink)
                              Remember Johns Pork has BOTH traditional cheesesteaks AND
                              BEEF (dipped and held in a-jus same deal with the pork) sandwiches.  Never had one of their cooked/fried cheesesteaks
                              only their wet pork or beef sandwiches.  So Good!

Holly Moore

Re:Latest Restaurant Reviews John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA Tue, 02/8/11 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                Craig Laban's review of cheesesteaks was based on a panel of teenagers. John's builds a very big cheesesteak and a very cheesy cheesesteak. 

A number of places serve great roast pork sandwiches - Tommy Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market is my favorite. There is a new joint, Jake's at 12th and Sansom - also very good.  As is George's Sandwich Shop just south of 9th and Christian. And, of course, John's and Tony Luke's. 

Like NFL football, it's likely an "on-any-given-day" thing.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com