Latin American Tamales

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/12/20 12:10:14 (permalink)

Latin American Tamales

I passed my favorite Sucelt Coffee Shop in NYC today and noticed a sign on their tamales:
Venzuelan tamales
Colombian tamales
Panamanian tamamles
Pueto Rican tamales

I didn't have time to stop, but I was wondeing how these differ from Mexican. Does anyone know about such variants?

6 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Latin American Tamales 2006/12/20 12:45:49 (permalink)

Add to that my request from another thread in which the Southern (USA) Tamales were mentioned. I would like to know if there is any difference (other than name) between Mexican and Mississippi Tamales!

Someone out there must know the answer to this.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Latin American Tamales 2006/12/20 12:59:35 (permalink)
    By what I have tasted and seen, mostly from different people from Central and South America hear at work. It's just a variation of the same basic food. The difference in the regional verieties is the stuffing and what they are wraped in. I've noticed that Mexican tamales are most always pork, chicken or cheese wrapped in corn husks while the others were a mixture of meat and vegetables or even some fruit wrapped in bannana leaves, both with a corn masa exterior. The only constant was that they were both steamed. That is just from personal observation. Southern tamales I would have no idea.

You got me curious about Southern/Mississippi Tamales so I went looking for information. As near as I can tell they were brought to Mississippi by the Texan migrant workers and picked up by southern field hands. The only difference I could find was that they were made with corn meal instead of masa which gives them a courser texture.

joe
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Latin American Tamales 2006/12/20 14:33:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Add to that my request from another thread in which the Southern (USA) Tamales were mentioned. I would like to know if there is any difference (other than name) between Mexican and Mississippi Tamales!

I posted a website that tells the story of Southern (AKA Mississippi) Tamales.
    www.tamaletrail.com

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Latin American Tamales 2006/12/20 15:00:33 (permalink)

Thanks, I must have missed the other post. I love the SFA Oral Histories. The one they did on Whole-Hog BBQ in western Tennessee is how we came in contact with Dennis Hays and his BBQ Stand in Lexington,TN. What a great find that has turned into!!
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Latin American Tamales 2006/12/20 15:01:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I posted a website that tells the story of Southern (AKA Mississippi) Tamales.
    www.tamaletrail.com

That is a nice site thanks. But what the heck is fried Rotel???
    It's at the Home Town Restaurant in Inverness, Ms..

joe
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Latin American Tamales 2006/12/20 20:44:00 (permalink)
    The Southern Food Alliance always has some interesting stories and I certainly enjoyed reading about the tamale trail. I have traveled that route many times and I have always failed to make the appropiate stops.

I am sure Fred Sauceman would have some good comments on this area.

I have traveled through Cleveland and Clarksville many times. I wish I had taken the time to enjoy it more.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1