Laurel Highlands, PA

Author
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
2009/10/14 20:39:31 (permalink)

Laurel Highlands, PA

We're planning a day trip through the Laurel Highlands this weekend to see fall leaves. Any restaurants in the area we should particularly note?

A Roadfood search suggests Ruby and Ketchy's in Morgantown, WV, which is not too far out of the way, but a not exactly the area we'd hoped to linger in.

Mosca recently mentioned Carbone's, in Crabtree, which looks splendid, but is also out of the center of the Laurel Highlands.

I know of a really excellent gourmet french restaurant in Hopwood: Chez Gerard. But that's much more expensive than we're looking for on this trip.

Any Roadfood squarely within the Laurel Highlands we should seek out?

8 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/15 08:21:27 (permalink)
    Ralph-
    Check out Glisan's and/or Lone Star, both located just east of Nemacolin Woodlands Resort on Rte. 40.  I believe their physical addresses are Markleysburg, but they are not in town.  Both specialize in made from scratch country food, but are best known for excellent pies.  Of the two, I thing Glisan's is a little better.  There is another restaurant nearby called Curt's that intrigues me, but I haven't stopped in, yet.

If you make it as far north as Johnstown, make sure to stop in at Coney Island Lunch.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/10/15 08:28:29
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/21 11:43:49 (permalink)
    Ralph-
    Did you make it down to the Laurel Highlands last weekend?  I was curious, since they were possibly calling for some snow.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/21 15:20:50 (permalink)
    Lori, our friend Mike, and I did have a lovely drive through the Laurel Highlands on Sunday. I've meant to post about it, but I've been delayed by some glitches with my pictures.

We got on the road later than intended, about 1:45. We planned to eat a quick lunch en route, but because our route was on the Parkway then the Turnpike, we didn't encounter any restaurants until we got off the Turnpike in Donegal.

In Donegal, we were swayed from fast food by signs for Out of the Fire Cafe. This might be a bit too gourmet to be truly qualified as Roadfood, but we had a lovely meal there. We particularly enjoyed the house-smoked salmon and the smoked gouda mac and cheese.

We drove down along the Laurel Highlands scenic byway. The autumn leaves were absolutely splendid--this is one of the best leaf drives we've had. Unfortunately, many of the best views came at times when it was hard to pull over to take pictures. We did stop briefly in Ohiopyle to walk around and take some pictures.

After following route 381 to its end in West Virginia, we circled around back up to US-40 to go to Glisan's (with a stop at a roadside stand for cherry cider and blackberry-flavored apple cider).

Glisan's was a pleasant place, with a pie cabinet that evoked the buffetbuster in all of us.
    For dinner, I had the country ham sandwich, because I was still fairly full from lunch. I was a little disappointed, because the sandwich was only ham and toast, with no condiments at all. The cup of beef-barley soup I had to accompany it was thick and hearty, but a bit lacking in flavor.

Lori had the ham dinner: ham with pineapple glaze, scalloped potatoes, baked beans. She was happier with her dinner, and very happy with the scalloped potatoes. Her cup of chicken noodle soup was very nice, with thick homemade noodles.

For dessert, we all had pie. Glisan's was clearly a master of meringue--their meringue pies had very tall peaks of perfectly-cooked melt-in-you-mouth meringue. On the other hand, their crust was rather tough. I felt that I made the wrong choice with a double-crust cherry pie (though the filling was good), and Lori's coconut cream pie was much better.

Pictures to come soon, I hope.
    post edited by ralphmelton - 2009/10/21 15:22:07
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/22 14:42:44 (permalink)
    I sorted out some of my picture issues.

The view from the window of the Out of the Fire Cafe:

My So Gouda burger, with the smoked gouda mac and cheese in the back:

Lori's sandwich: house-smoked salmon, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, baby greens:

Autumn leaves from the pedestrian bridge at Ohiopyle:

My beef and barley soup at Glisan's, and Lori's chicken noodle soup:

My country ham sandwich, and Lori's ham dinner:

The pie cabinet at Glisan's. I learned from conversation with the staff that there is a code by which the number and position of the toothpicks indicates what the filling is, but I don't know what that code is.

Pie pie pie.

I feel a little shy about snapping pictures of other people's food, but this was so cute it overcame my inhibitions:

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/22 15:14:20 (permalink)
    Really nice photos Ralph!  I had considered writing a Roadfood review for Glisan's, but other than the pies, the food just isn't good enough.  But they sure do have a way with those cream pies.  That Out of the Fire Cafe sounds like a nice find and I will try it the next time in the area.  Glad the scenery was so beautiful and thanks for the report!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/23 10:00:44 (permalink)
    Very nice  pics and report ralphmelton.

There is a very nice minimum security prison in Laurel highlands.  Um, at least that's what I heard.
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/23 15:01:26 (permalink)
    Wow, those pies look fantastic. I love places that have odd ways of keeping track of things...like the toothpick method they have invented...great stuff!
    catherine s
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Laurel Highlands, PA 2009/10/23 15:28:30 (permalink)
    The pies at Glisan's are 8.75 cream or fruit for the whole pie.  Is there anyplace else that you can get a better pie for the price.  The popovers are awesome.

Luncheon special today Friday is 5.90 (salmon patties or fish)  with sides. 

The food is made on premises by local people.  
    It is enjoyed by folks from all parts of the country and all income levels.
    It is not white table cloth dining nor valet parking

and the price reflects it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1