The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 12:27 AM (permalink)
 I love that picture of the "Lawry's cut" prime rib dinner posted today on the restaurant of the day.
Lawry's restaurant has been our, "celebration destination" restaurant of choice for many, many years. We are very fortunate to have a Lawry's branch in Dallas. And, fortunate for Lawry's, that Dallas folks have taken Lawry's to their hearts and, stomachs. They are always packed it seems.
For many years, we enjoyed going to Lawry's for Thanksgiving. Neither my (then) wife or her mother cared very much for turkey so Lawry's was the obvious choice.
A tip on which cut to order: I discovered I preferred the "English cut", which is, 3 thin slices that provide the tenderest pieces of prime rib. A thin slice of meat being more tender than cutting through a thick piece and having to chew through all that meat. Those thinner slices almost melt in your mouth.

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
    Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 1:32 AM (permalink)
    I don't think I've ever seen any restaurant that serves Yorkshire pudding.  A roast beef tradition in my family going back to my great great grandmother. The plate at Lawry's looks awesome.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
      Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 2:39 AM (permalink)

===A tip on which cut to order: I discovered I preferred the "English cut", which is, 3 thin slices that provide the tenderest pieces of prime rib. A thin slice of meat being more tender than cutting through a thick piece and having to chew through all that meat. Those thinner slices almost melt in your mouth.===

A great suggestion for those who like to talk and eat.  Thin slices are the way to go. Trust me, as the evening goes towards the end of the night in a kitchen, we will knick little thin slices. No time to sit or chew...

mark

plb

Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 9:20 AM (permalink)
        Lawry's is Roadfood?

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
          Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 9:29 AM (permalink)
          I'd like to try this place someday....not a big prime rib fan, but I bet theirs is awesome.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
            Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 9:49 AM (permalink)
            I had no idea there wasmore than one Lawry's. I'd been to the one in California, but that was so  long ago they actually served PRIME rib.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 10:44 AM (permalink)
              I have eaten at Lawrys in Chicago twice-fantastic experience!!!The food was awesome, service was impeccable, and I enjoyed every minute.As far as being Roadfood-yeah I think it is....

Twinwillow

Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 1:28 PM (permalink)
                KonaErnie

I don't think I've ever seen any restaurant that serves Yorkshire pudding.  A roast beef tradition in my family going back to my great great grandmother. The plate at Lawry's looks awesome.

Yes, their Yorkshire pudding is, sinfully good, As is, their mashed potatoes, their creamed spinach, their........ 

Twinwillow

Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 1:40 PM (permalink)
                  stlouisguy

I'd like to try this place someday....not a big prime rib fan, but I bet theirs is awesome.

It's the best I've ever had-anywhere! 

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 1:48 PM (permalink)
                    We used to get a chuckle out of the 'Beef Bowl', a dinner served a couple of days before the Rose Bowl Game each year, where Lawry's hosts the two teams in what has become an eating contest for some of the players on each side. every year the local TV news covers the event with lots of footage of very large football players consumming huge slabs of Prime Rib.

Twinwillow

Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 1:59 PM (permalink)
                      Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We used to get a chuckle out of the 'Beef Bowl', a dinner served a couple of days before the Rose Bowl Game each year, where Lawry's hosts the two teams in what has become an eating contest for some of the players on each side. every year the local TV news covers the event with lots of footage of very large football players consumming huge slabs of Prime Rib.

Al, the same is done here in Dallas before the annual UT-OU game. Lawry's has a special, extra thick cut of, bone-in prime rib it serves the players. Probably weighing in, at least two 2 pounds each.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Today's restaurant of the day. Sat, 01/3/09 2:08 PM (permalink)
                        The Chicago location is still doing a solid business even with the economic slowdown being experienced by other restaurants.  We tried twice over the holidays to get in and both times were told they were completwely booked for the evening. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com