Least favorite Fish?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2512
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 08:20:10 (permalink)
I enjoy the Copper River Salmon run $8. 95 lb in the PNW, the Halibut season 1/2 whole Halibut $8.95 lb............This years Halibut was the best I ever had, the large flake fish melted in your mouth............There is nothing like fresh Halibut for the best batter dipped fish for Fish & Chips when we are on the Oregon Coast. ...................pnwc
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 08:20:31 (permalink)
I have one general rule, if it smells fishy, I don't eat it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18874
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 08:55:12 (permalink)
PNWCHEF

I enjoy the Copper River Salmon run $8. 95 lb in the PNW, the Halibut season 1/2 whole Halibut $8.95 lb............This years Halibut was the best I ever had, the large flake fish melted in your mouth............There is nothing like fresh Halibut for the best batter dipped fish for Fish & Chips when we are on the Oregon Coast. ...................pnwc

The only difference I've ever been able to discern between Copper River salmon and any other wild Chinook salmon is the price. Here it sells for Upwards of $28 a pound.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 08:56:59 (permalink)
marzsit

NascarDad
I also don't like the kind of trout that tastes like salmon.  Not sue what it is but got it several times so I stopped buying trout

steelhead. not salmon and not trout....

Steelhead is a sea-run or lake-run rainbow trout.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2512
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 09:22:30 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

The only difference I've ever been able to discern between Copper River salmon and any other wild Chinook salmon is the price. Here it sells for Upwards of $28 a pound.

Michael, I think you better start doing some deep sea fishing on the coast of Ohio......I would get off from working at GE on Boston Ave in BPT, stop and get 3 cases of beer and hook up with two others guys at the Marina near Pleasure beach. We would hit the Bluefish run "Kamikaze style" when you saw the ripple in the water of Blue fish feeding, you trolled into it with 4 polls in the water. They would hit Bam, Bam , Bam, and after bringing in a few of them your arm was ready to fall off. ...........I never found anything wrong with a baked Bluefish after drinking a  case of beer.................We also fried up a lot of Snapper blues, flatfish, and what ever else came off the pier at Pleasure beach...............I'll have to buy you a plate of cheerystone clams, and a cold beer while we sit on the seawall at Loardship some time...............I know you could picture that...........................pnwc
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 15:46:57 (permalink)
Ah, Billy, I'd love to sit on that sea wall with a couple of dozen cherrystones and some beer. As to deep sea fishing off the coast of Ohio, we do fish for walleye and steelhead, as well as some salmon in Lake Erie, but most of my coho and king fishing in the Great Lakes takes place on Lake Michigan, Lake Huron and Lake Ontario.

I can understand why, after a case of beer, you never gound baked bluefish troubling. But don't get me started on those snappers. They'll bite on a piece of cloth if they can see it.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/19 17:05:14 (permalink)
Foodbme

Caught my first, (And last) Bluefish in the "Rip & the Race" off LI, NY. Took it home, baked it, took one bite and threw the rest away!

When I started this topic, I meant Bluefish, not White!

offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/21 04:10:02 (permalink)
Tilapia!?!  No one in Hawaii eats this fish, except maybe a few of the recent Filipino immigrants.  Tilapia was a "rubbish" fish that the sugarcane plantations kept in their water resevoir ponds because they love to hide in the mud.  The Filipinos who eat them put them in a bucket of water and let them swim around until the water turns black (from the mud) and change the water a few times until it clears.
As kids, whenever we didn't catch any fish from the ocean, we would stick bamboo poles in the resevoirs and guaranteed we'd catch tilapia-- just to say we caught something, then throw them back in the pond.  We used scaps of fabric as bait--as they'd bite anything.  
I realize the tilapia served in restaurants is not the same as the resevoir fish (or is it?), but just the mere mention of the word is very repulsive to the locals in Hawaii, especially those of us who grew up in the sugar plantation era.  
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/21 05:14:18 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

copper river salmon has more fat and oil than other wild salmon, so it is highly prized for grilling as it doesn't dry out so easily.

marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/21 05:17:49 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

marzsit

NascarDad
I also don't like the kind of trout that tastes like salmon.  Not sue what it is but got it several times so I stopped buying trout

steelhead. not salmon and not trout....

Steelhead is a sea-run or lake-run rainbow trout.

except that the species that exists out here in puget sound and lake washington doesn't look like a rainbow trout at all.. when they're small they look like any other common brown lake trout, but when they're big they are all silver and look like a small salmon.

claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/24 13:51:56 (permalink)
I usually eat fish when we are out.  I like really good sea bass or swordfish.  My husband & also like tuna as an appetizer, just blackened on both sides served with wasabi.
At home, we have a fish fry when any of the fishermen in the family have been walleye fishing.  Fried walleye(flour, beaten egg,cornmeal),homemade french fries, hushpuppies, coleslaw.  The whole family comes.  I remember in the 1950's my grandmother & grandfather would spend a month in Deland, Deland, FL.  The last week they would clean & filet  & freeze all their catch-bass from the St. John river.  Then they would pack all the fish in ice & travel back to WV in one long day.  The next day was fish fry day witn the same menu that I use today for my fish frys.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Least favorite Fish? 2011/07/25 07:18:48 (permalink)
Bluefish isn't bad if it's been smoked....don't like it any other way. Tilapia, I don't even consider that a fish.

I'll eat or at least try just about anything else that comes out of the water.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1