Least/ most favorite Christmas song

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3475
Re:Least/ most favorite Christmas song 2011/12/30 12:13:47 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Vince Macek

The Chipmunks'  "Christmas Don't Be Late" is hilarious slowed down where the trio's voices are normal speed and Dave sounds demonic (and I'm sure every kid back in the day found this out).

Can that even be done these days with consumer-level stereo equipment?  I suppose a variable-speed reel-to-reel tape machine could be used to create the effect.

Brad

Sure it can! I own a turntable. Vinyl is making a pretty big comeback.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5025
Re:Least/ most favorite Christmas song 2011/12/30 14:43:17 (permalink)
True, but finding some of the older releases (like The Chipmunks) on new vinyl might be difficult and a CD might be the only alternative.

I should get my Technics turntable back into operating condition.

Brad
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3475
Re:Least/ most favorite Christmas song 2011/12/30 15:01:09 (permalink)
You know, it never occurred to me that everyone doesn't have a copy of it from when they were a kid. You're absolutely right!
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Least/ most favorite Christmas song 2011/12/30 19:16:36 (permalink)
I'm curious as how you achieved this. I'm assuming that you're working with audio files and not physical media if you downloaded it. While I know it can be done digitally such as in transcription software or audio editing software suites, but I haven't seen that feature in general media playback software that I've used.

Stepping down a record player speed or open reel tape recorder wouldn't achieve the effect properly. Furthermore, it's not only Dave's voice, but the music too, that would be slowed down to sound very slow if the chipmunks were to fall into proper speed if it were possible to get the chipmunks sounding normal.

In older studio machines to get that rate of change, that effect had to be done by taking control over the primary capstan motor with a variable frequency oscillator amplified to working voltage for an ac synchronous motor or latter DC controlled phase locked pulse width modulated motors to achieve a proper voice color. That wasn't a common feature found in audio recording studios unless it was audio for film and the transport had to be locked up and resolved to another source.

Chipmunk voices would be a relatively smaller change in speed then the standard geometric progression of speeds available on open reels. IIRC, a 100% change in linear spead represented an octave change.  Even the smaller change between 45 rpm and 33rpm on a turntable may have been too much.

Vince Macek

I try to find new songs for my Christmas library online, and this year discovered a bunch of standards recorded by the tribute band 'The Fab 4', all worked around Beatles songs. Very cleverly crafted, and when I had them on in the background, it took my guests a little time to register what was going on.

The Chipmunks'  "Christmas Don't Be Late" is hilarious slowed down where the trio's voices are normal speed and Dave sounds demonic (and I'm sure every kid back in the day found this out).

Probably my favorite Christmas album is Leroy Anderson's - starting with 'Sleigh Ride' of course, followed by a full orchestral 'Christmas Festival', then three suites of carols - for brass choir, string orchestra, and woodwind ensemble. This one gets played through the Twelfth Day of Christmas.

Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
Re:Least/ most favorite Christmas song 2012/01/01 23:29:18 (permalink)
DawnT

I'm curious as how you achieved this. I'm assuming that you're working with audio files and not physical media if you downloaded it. While I know it can be done digitally such as in transcription software or audio editing software suites, but I haven't seen that feature in general media playback software that I've used.

Who, me? I just downloaded someone's slowed-down recording off YouTube, and here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8a-kjazBug
. You're right, the instrumentation and Dave's voice are both draggy. When I was a kid, we'd play the record at 16 rpm (you know, I've never even seen a 16 rpm record.)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1