The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant"

Boop333

• Total Posts: 97
Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Sun, 06/14/09 9:34 PM (permalink)
We did a motorcycle road trip from Hanson, KY through Evansville, IN, Grandview, Troy, Tell City, Cannelton, through the Hoosier National Forest,  Derby, Dexter and on to Leavenworth, IN.  We stopped at a beautiful place to eat called "The Overlook." I have to say this was one of the most beautiful rides I have been on!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Sun, 06/14/09 10:53 PM (permalink)

Thanks for your comments on the "The Overlook" in Leavenworth.  it is indeed a beautiful location. We have been disappointed by the food at the restaurant there several times...Not "BAD" but not much better than airline quality dinners. Stick with the sandwiches and you will do ok.  The view is outstanding,  but I would bring a picnic lunch with me and use the outdoor tables rather than order dinner inside.

Next time you do that ride try "The Wall" drive-in It's that little Hamburger stand just east of the Channelton Bridge over the Ohio (on the Indiana side). It has been in the Stern's Roadfood Books for many years.

Boop333

Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Sun, 06/14/09 11:44 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the tip, we'll stop there next time around!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Sun, 06/14/09 11:55 PM (permalink)
        On all our trips to Owensboro for BBQ we cross the river at that Bridge (Channelton) so we see the 'Burger stand ' Frequently! 

Lots of MC riders out of the Louisville area come thru Lanesville on IN-62 on the eastern end of the ride you made. Hog's Tavern in the little village of Lanesville is a popular stop for those folks. It sure doesn't have the view that you get at the Overlook though!!

Don't forget that this week is the the W C Handy Blues Festival in Henderson KY. Lots of free music each night from Wed thru the weekend, in the park by the river.

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
          Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Mon, 06/15/09 10:39 AM (permalink)
          I've gone to the Overlook restaurant many times over the past 35 years, and not once have I had a memorable meal there.  But the view is why I continue to go there--not for the food, which is very average.

One of the most scenic drives I can think of is the one on Indiana 66 from Tell City to Corydon (or vice-versa).  At times the road skirts right along the edge of the Ohio river.  And the Overlook restaurant is in the dead center of that drive.

<message edited by Louis on Mon, 06/15/09 10:42 AM>

AaronM

• Total Posts: 196
            Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Mon, 06/15/09 2:37 PM (permalink)
            I've lived in Indiana 19 years (West Lafayette, Bloomington, Indianapolis) and never even heard of Leavenworth, IN before. Looks beautiful.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Mon, 06/15/09 3:33 PM (permalink)
              Arron

I will say that the hills (we call'em Knobs) along the Ohio River certainly are 'different' than the flat farmlands of most of the Hoosier State.

If you stop in Corydon and walk the historic square area in that town (1st capitol of the State) then head west on State Hiway 62 and 66, Leavenworth is the next small town to the west...about 12 miles or so SW. Only a few buildings and shops, but it sits on a tall 'Bluff' overlooking the River and the view in both directions (due to a big curve in the River) is spectacular.

If you are ever in the Southern end of the state try to take the time for a ride along those roads. It will be worth your time.  There are some decent places to eat in Corydon !! BTW Corydon is about 20 miles west of I-65 just off I-64, so you can freeway-ride to Corydon before getting off on the country roads.
              <message edited by mayor al on Mon, 06/15/09 3:35 PM>

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Mon, 06/15/09 10:33 PM (permalink)
                That is a gorgeous view over the river Boop!

Sunrise Chef

• Total Posts: 3
                  Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Tue, 06/16/09 12:47 PM (permalink)
                  We have made the motorcycle ride from Evansville In. to Corydon many times as well, one of the nicest rides around.  Of course we stop at the Overlook and are disappointed everytime, but we keep going back for the view.  If nothing else stop in for a piece of pie.

AaronM

• Total Posts: 196
                    Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Tue, 06/16/09 1:10 PM (permalink)
                    Mayor Al...my sister lives in Louisville. I visit her a couple times a year. I'll ask her if she has been there. I doubt it, but I check. How far is it from Louisville?

Oh...and do you ever eat at Wick's? I LOVE that place.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                      Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Tue, 06/16/09 1:10 PM (permalink)
                      I'm really curious about this thread. 

My husband and I drove past the Overlook several years ago, but it wasn't open at the time.

Everyone seems to be saying the food is not very good, but those biscuits look tempting.

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                        Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Tue, 06/16/09 1:45 PM (permalink)
                        Nice report Boop.  The views are beautiful.  The food pictures sure look tasty despite people's opinions.  Keep the reports coming.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Tue, 06/16/09 2:46 PM (permalink)
                          As with all restaurant reviews a lot of the attitude is based on "Opinion". As I said earlier, we never have had "Bad" food, but we have yet to have a really good dinner either. Within our selections both the chicken and the fish were definitely pre-breaded-frozen food. While there is nothing wrong with that, you would expect that dinners over $10 (rural America) would not be like airline dinners in taste and presentation.  I often thought that if a church dinner committee from one of the local churches would run the kitchen and let a business run the 'books' a real hit would be in operation !!

We've enjoyed the Burgers and a dessert stop is fine, I just don't take company there for dinner anymore.

Arron- Two ways to go from Louisville, both use I-64 west from the city.
                             1. I-64 west to exit 105 (Corydon) drop south a mile or so to IN-62 westbound and follow it along the Blue River and thru the woods to Leavenworth. 20 miles on the freeway then 12-13 more to the Overlook. (45 min ride from the Ohio River bridge in Louisville/New Albany)

2. I-64 west to exit 92 (Marengo), go south on IN 66 to the junction with IN-62. Left (east) on IN 62 less than a mile to the Overlook. Long term construction on I-64 from exit 105 to exit 92 makes this not as fast as it would seem. We like the two lane road during the week!

The ride west from the Overlook along the Ohio to Tell City is a winderful ride....on Motorcycle or even by car. This time of year it's great!

Try the OATMEAL PIE at Fredericks Cafe on the Square in Corydon for something "different"  We found it to be a real treat...sort of a cross between a 'nutless' Pecan Pie and a Coconut Macaroon.  Magdalena's Cafe, Also on the Square in Corydon is another decent place to enjoy some local cooking !

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
                            Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Tue, 06/16/09 6:54 PM (permalink)
                            I don't know - that bacon cheeseburger looks great, and the views...and you guys are such a NICE couple! I don't know if you are the guy or the girl, Boop (heh), but the female has such beautiful eyes! In fact, you both do! You can tell you're in love. Oh, man, do we need an extended roadtrip.

Boop333

Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Wed, 06/17/09 11:23 AM (permalink)
                              harriet1954

I don't know - that bacon cheeseburger looks great, and the views...and you guys are such a NICE couple! I don't know if you are the guy or the girl, Boop (heh), but the female has such beautiful eyes! In fact, you both do! You can tell you're in love. Oh, man, do we need an extended roadtrip.

I'm the female...hahaha. Thanks for the compliments! You made my day...heck, my week! = ]
                              John (loving hubby) did say the cheeseburger & fries were very good, the chicken I had was good, not the best I've had, but good. I do have to say it was very moist, it tasted like they had smoked it first, then battered and fried it...maybe what I had was some smoked chicken they were trying to use up *dunno* haha. The oatmeal pie was delicious, sort of like a "Derby Pie."

Boop333

Re:Leavenworth, IN. "The Overlook Restaurant" Wed, 06/17/09 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                rumaki
                                I'm really curious about this thread. 
                                My husband and I drove past the Overlook several years ago, but it wasn't open at the time.
                                Everyone seems to be saying the food is not very good, but those biscuits look tempting.

The biscuits were very tasty, they were complimentary and served with strawberry preserves. I will probably try the "Hot Brown" plate next time.  = ]

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com