Lebanon Bologna

Author
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
2005/01/05 18:24:32 (permalink)

Lebanon Bologna

A friend is from Philadelphia, and gave us a flyer from Weaver's of Lebanon. We bought Lebanon bologna, Baum's sweet bologna and a slab of bacon. Haven't tried the sweet bologna yet, but love the other products.

How do YOU prepare Lebanon bologna? It's fully cooked, and we're making more sandwiches tonight. What do YOU use to make such sandwiches? Suggestions for the sweet bologna?

Thanks!

29 Replies Related Threads

gottatravel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/05 18:34:22 (permalink)
    No need to "prepare" lebanon bologna or sweet bologna,just enjoy. Treat it like any other lunch meat. I like to butter some bread, add some good horseradish mustard and the bologna, perhaps a slice of your choice of cheese and enjoy. Try some home style potato chips (fried in lard) on the side with a dill pickle strip.
    If you bought your lebanon or sweet bologna unsliced, cut into cubes and eat with sharp cheese and a good pretzel.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/05 19:15:22 (permalink)
    What gottatravel said. Lebanon bologna is one of those Roadfoods that can't be compared to anything else, like a beef on weck or a Hot Brown.

I like to spread the sweet bologna with cream cheese (some people do Miracle whip or mayo), add gherkin pickles cut in half lengthwise, roll it up and then cut in slices about 3/4" thick.

With your regular or sweet Lebanon bologna, since the 1950's, an appetizer in our area has been to mix cream cheese with a little sweet pickle relish, spread on a slice of Lebanon, then add another slice with more cream cheese, until you have a stack of 5 or more slices, begining and ending with the bologna. Then you cut through the whole thing into 8 wedges. Toothpick spearing is optional.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/05 19:17:42 (permalink)
    I'm with gottatravel on this, especially with Sweet Lebanon bologna. It's heavenly cut, in small slices or chunks, and some cubes of your favorite cheese. If you can mix up some soft pretzels, or have some hot, chewy, buttered bread, it's a divine meal. Also good fried in slices and drizzled with a horseradish infused honey mustard.
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 07:21:51 (permalink)
    Ruby is right about the bologna, cream cheese and pickles, this is a fairly common item in the Pa dutch country wherever there is a cold cut buffet table (usually drop-ins, funeral lunches, that type of thing ).
    I eat a sweet Lebanon bologna sandwich a couple times a week, generally with swiss-cheese and honey mustard or horseradish mustard. I find the swiss stands up better to the strong taste of the bologna than does a mild cheese like american or provalone. Cheddar clashes to much with the sweetness of the bologna.
    my sweet and regular Lebanon bolognas of choice are Kutztown brand, made in Myerstown Pa and available at supermarkets and delis throughout south central and eastern Pa.
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 08:08:28 (permalink)
    The answer to the much asksed question How do they celebrate New Years Eve in Lebanon Pa[i[url]htttp:www.thewgalchannel.com/holidays/2711857/detail.html[/url][url][/url]
    In case you were dying to know.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 09:02:03 (permalink)
    That is TOO funny.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 09:25:29 (permalink)
    Lebanon (prononunced Leb-nin) bologna (the non-sweet kind) is also delicious fried. My mom also used it to make bologna gravy (like creamed chipped beef, but with pieces of fried Lebanon bologna instead of the beef).

And I confess to liking my Lebanon bologna with peanut butter upon occassion. " />

Hubby likes his Lebanon bologna with horsereadish cheddar.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 09:29:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brookquarry

The answer to the much asksed question How do they celebrate New Years Eve in Lebanon Pa[i[url]htttp:www.thewgalchannel.com/holidays/2711857/detail.html[/url][url][/url]
    In case you were dying to know.

Lordy!!! I had no idea they did that! Now THAT is a Roadfood way to ring in the New Year!

Did anybody see the related links for the above article?

*Cleona To Drop Giant Pretzel
    *Harrisburg To Drop A Cow

A giant pretzel I can understand, but a cow?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 10:13:12 (permalink)
    Who would have thought?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 10:37:24 (permalink)
    COWS falling from the sky!!!???--are you sure this isnt a Monty Pythin flick
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 11:07:33 (permalink)
    A topic after my own heart! I started ordering from Seltzer's about 2 or 3 years ago, never having tasted the stuff before.. I LOVE it! Especially their sweet, honey, and Baumberger.....wow! I like to get the solid roll, cutting off chunks and eating it straight....
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 13:45:13 (permalink)
    Having been "weaned" on PA Dutch sweet and lebanon bologna, I try to bring several pounds back down South when I visit Lancaster, PA. I prefer the sweet kind and usually get it from Clyde Weaver's. A favorite sandwich is sweet bol. on buttered bread, w/ swiss, mustard and relish or horseradish.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 14:13:41 (permalink)
    Didn't like it when I first tried it, now I am hooked.
    Brought some back years ago from PA Dutch country.
    Have only eaten Seltzer's-never had Baum's or Weaver's.
    Here in New England, I have been lucky enough to buy it over the counter sliced at the deli in the WalMart Super Center in Amherst,NH.
    Usually just make a sandwich with mustard and cheese.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/06 16:10:33 (permalink)
    Last night we toasted potato bread, and added tomato, mustard and mayo. Oops, we forgot the Jarlsberg! We had avocadoes that were very ripe, so I made guacamole also. It sounds like a weird combination, but it worked.

Our Philly-born friend who gave us the Weaver's pamphlet buys their dried beef for his creamed chipped beef. So I see the bologna could work for that too, and I can hardly wait to try it. I've had a taste for SOS lately! Thanks for your other suggestions. I bought chubs, as I "inherited" a Krups slicer, so it would last longer.

Lebanon bologna at Walmart in Amhearst NH? That explains why my partner, who lived in Nashua NH until he was 49, knew about it.

Okay, I see that Seltzer is another approved source. Let's hope their website works better than Weaver's. Thanks again!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/09 04:52:26 (permalink)
    I like my sweet bologna with either a hot mustard or a honey mustard and then rolled up and eaten just like that. Also I like to add it to a smoked turkey breast sandwich.

Funny that this comes up today, I had a diaster with some pork chops and we had Lebanon bologna to go with our rice-a-roni and black eyed peas for dinner.

MikeS.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/09 07:50:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Last night we toasted potato bread, and added tomato, mustard and mayo. Oops, we forgot the Jarlsberg! We had avocadoes that were very ripe, so I made guacamole also. It sounds like a weird combination, but it worked.

Our Philly-born friend who gave us the Weaver's pamphlet buys their dried beef for his creamed chipped beef. So I see the bologna could work for that too, and I can hardly wait to try it. I've had a taste for SOS lately! Thanks for your other suggestions. I bought chubs, as I "inherited" a Krups slicer, so it would last longer.

Lebanon bologna at Walmart in Amhearst NH? That explains why my partner, who lived in Nashua NH until he was 49, knew about it.

Okay, I see that Seltzer is another approved source. Let's hope their website works better than Weaver's. Thanks again!

That sounds like a good combination for a sandwich. The creaminess of the avocado would be great with lebanon bologna. I'm going to try it.

Though not as well-known as Weaver's, most of the mom and pop grocery stores still sell Alderfer's, sliced to order from the meat case. Their free cookbook has some creative recipes for lebanon bologna, dried beef, bacon, and their other products. The Alderfer website isn't too easy to navigate but here's a link.
    http://www.alderfermeats.com/products.html
    Kimdredspirit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/16 22:19:03 (permalink)
    I'm from Central PA, and the way we prepare lebanon bologna is to take about 4-5 pieces of the lunchmeat and make a sandwich with white bread..but the catch is to throw a handful of potato chips in the sandwich and kind of smoosh it up a bit..so it is crunchy...U can either butter the bread or use mustard or ketchup to your liking...Another thing to do is to take piece of bologna and spread it with cream cheese then roll up and put a toothpick in it to hold it together...refrigerate it until hardened ( a couple of hours)...then slice it pinwheel fashion...nice on crackers for appetizers.
    Boss 302
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/01/30 16:15:30 (permalink)
    Also a very good bologna from the Lebanon area is from Hi-way Meat Market near Myerstown. They make it in their own smoke house.
    One time I went to get some meat, and the lady in front of me bought 4 bolognas to send to her son in the service over in Iraq. When I asked her if they were still good to eat when they got there, she said that they will keep for a month or so with no refrigeration. I know they are starting to ship their meat to other states. If anyone needs their phone number I can look it up for you.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/03/31 16:54:45 (permalink)
    Yesterday I bought a frozen pizza for dinner last night. There I was, standing in line, thinking, "I always add stuff to the pizza. I forgot to pick up some more pepperoni. No, I'm too tired to leave the line and go get it."

I get home and I go rooting around in the fridge for cheese, when, lo and behold, I find the remains of a chub of sweet Lebanon bologna. I also found some provalone and some grated "Mexican" blend cheese. I sliced the sweet bologna in such a way to make half-moon shapes. The 'za came with pepperoni, wee bites of sausage, onion, green pepper and black olives. I added what I found. The sweet bologna was TO DIE FOR on the 'za. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it was just so good. Now I know what to do with it!

Incidentally, I always use a pizza stone. I cracked it in two when I put a frozen apple pie on the stone, but it still works perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Now try it on a pizza!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/04/01 14:33:25 (permalink)
    Lebanon doesnt hang around long here, my youngest daughter(19) persists in making rollups (2slices lebanon one slice cheese) the classic sammich is on white bread with cheese and catsup but its just as good on rye, wheat or pumpernichol(sp) on a recent trip to Publix the counterperson asked why it was called lebanon, I of course didn't have an answer and she went on to explain that she was from Lebanon and they didn't have it there. She tried a slice and was hooked!! She asked how "americans" ate it and after explaining the above she said she was going to share with her family.
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/04/04 21:55:28 (permalink)
    Is Troutman's still selling Lebanon bologna? I can find a Troutman's market on the internet, but no mention of LB.

More years ago than I care to recollect, I lived in Central PA , and took for granted the pretzels, potato chips in huge metal cans, and Lebanon Bologna.

An interesting story about Troutman's... My wife is born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. Because of my fond remembrances of PA food, she located Troutman's on the internet, and called the number. The proprietor (I assume) took her order and said that the bologna would be shipped the next day. My wife asked whether he wanted a credit card. He said, no, he would just send a bill along with the bologna. We live in the Seattle, WA area.

Now, this was amazing to her. To have a business ship a product across country, to someone the store didn't know from Adam, and feel comfortable sending along the bill, was a shopping experience the likes of which she had never experienced.

To me, it was a reminder of a time long ago and a place far away. I remember never locking the doors growing up, and just tossing the keys to the car on the car floor. Your handshake and your word were your bond.

For a moment in time, the fond memories of my childhood came back, as I thought that nostalgic Central PA experience.
    fdoosey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/04/08 21:17:49 (permalink)
    Living in NJ, finding good lebanon bologna is tough - OK, impossible - the only one is some sickly-looking pre-packaged mess. Luckily, I have in-laws out by reading, and when the money's handy, I stop at the most marvelous place on Earth - Dietrich's Meats in Krumsville, PA. They make their own lebanon in assorted flavors (sweet, smoky) and it's all wonderful. They even make a lebanon bologna "football" for parties. If I can't go there, most deli counters out that way serve it up.

I like the idea of putting it on a pizza, I must try that when I get a chance. Can I ask if you used a sweet or smoky bologna?
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/04/09 20:34:33 (permalink)
    Sweet
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/04/10 15:54:44 (permalink)
    Hmmmmm I never had any problem finding it in So.Jersey..
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 864
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/19 10:44:30 (permalink)
    Maybe it's time to open up this thread again, Lebanon bologna always seems to taste better as the weather gets colder.
    Norristown
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/19 14:20:03 (permalink)
    I' ve been reading all the ways people eat Lebanon Bologna. I don't know if this post is in the right place, but I as a child I always had grilled lebanon Bologna sandwiches. If you butter both side of the bread, put it in a sandwich grill with about 4 thin pieces of meat it will come out as a thin sandwich. This is comfort food for me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18957
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/19 14:43:58 (permalink)
    You're in Urbana with Crabill's and you're talking about Lebanon bologna?
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 864
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/19 15:54:58 (permalink)
    I cut some into slivers and laid them across some salmon before grilling it. Very nice addition.
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1053
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/20 17:11:51 (permalink)
    I remember people making pinwheels with lebanon baloney and cream cheese.  Nice taste combination.  But then so is cream cheese and jelly.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1