Lee's Fried Chicken

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/08/03 22:03:25 (permalink)
Lee's has great chicken, especially the spicy. Its about a tie with Popeye's as my favorite fast food chicken joint. Good Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, plus in addition to Sweet Tea, they have Orange, Strawberry, & Grape soda on tap, which is a rarity at most places, sans Jack in the Box.

I'm pretty sure at one point, they were owned by Shoney's, but I think they were spun off at the same time as their Captain D's seafood restuants. I think they are still co-owned with Captain D's. Their buildings are of similar design, but Captain D's are Red, and all the Lee's that I have seen have yellow siding.
charlestace
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/08/08 00:31:07 (permalink)
Lee's has a location in Tulsa at 8th and Sheridan, less than a mile south of I-244 (and about three miles north of I-44, which has no Sheridan Rd. exit).

The food is pretty good although I am not exactly an aficionado of fried chicken.
Farmallcub
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/08/08 02:07:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jdjd1313

I remember Lee's being very popular in Nashville in the mid-late 80's.
Always a hangout for struggling musicians because they seemed to have 2-for-1 coupons in the newspaper every day. Great chicken and sides.
I think back in those days the corporate HQ were in Nashville too.
Unfortunately--almost overnight, they all closed and were replaced mainly by Bojangles, I believe.Some became Popeyes too.
I'm glad to hear there are still some around--I'll be on the lookout on my travels.

The Lees in Nashville all became Mrs Winners. Thay had the Lees chicken for a short time but it was never the same.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/08/08 02:33:01 (permalink)
Lee's in Piqua, OH looked like it is doing fine.....
MicahHibler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/08/08 12:23:55 (permalink)
Stopped by the Lee's in Sandusky this weekend as I was passing through and found it interesting that the KFC that used to be a few stores down is now a Quizno's. There is still a KFC in Sandusky, but, not here and it was a newer building so I don't know. Man do I LOVE those wedges though, have I mentioned that before?
jj1814
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/10/26 17:40:44 (permalink)
I love Lee's. I am originally from the South, and had never heard of it. I moved here to Cincinnati almost 3 years ago.

I stay not too far from the Lee's location in Hartwell. I love the chicken much more than KFC and go out of my way to go to Lee's now (KFC is closer to my house). But I DO like KFC's sides better, although Lee's has good wedges (+1 for the Wedges crew!!). Popeyes has my favorite sides period - biscuit, potatoes&gravy, etc.
Kaileen
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/10/29 20:10:48 (permalink)
I grew up on Lee's Famous Recipe. Every Wednesday, after we got back home from Grandma's hair appointment, we'd walk down to Lee's and get a pint of chicken livers to split. That's one of my favorite childhood memories. As a matter of fact, Lee's in my hometown was so good and so popular that Kentucky Fried went out of business. They reopened many years later, but Lee's still was better.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/11/03 12:16:36 (permalink)
We get the 3 piece dinner at the Lee's in Florence, Kentucky. The chicken is moist and flavorful for chain chicken. Our 20 lb. cat "Louie" is addicted to it. I swear he can smell it from the driveway with the windows closed.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/11/03 14:04:17 (permalink)

First time in years we have a bunch of coupons for Lee's in our weekly grocery flier/throwaway newspaper. Maybe a new marketing person somewhere in the company??
Chris Detroit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/11/05 08:58:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

I love lee;s. When I go to middlesboro,Kentucky I love ataing at the lee;s famous recipie there. The closest one to me is in Plymoth,Michigan ( about 30 Miles south of me) I love thier iced tea. And their chicken is Delicious.

There was one in Canton, MI also. I hope the one in Plymouth is still there. I'm going there this afternoon.
Bauer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/11/15 11:39:25 (permalink)
Hi! I have been a manager at Lee's Famous Recipe in Newark, Ohio for 12 yrs. Some brief history as I know it... Lee's is presently around 40 yrs old. It is true that the store was started by Lee Cummings, who did start off working with Colonel Sanders of what is now KFC. There was some sort of altercation between them, and Cummings went on his own. When I started, the company was owned by Shoney's. Then somewhere around '96, RTM (which runs Mrs. Winners and Arby's) bought us. At which time most franchises became company stores. In 2000 RTM sold Lee's, and I believe, kept Mrs. Winners. The company is presently owned by Lee's Famous Recipe Inc. based out of Flordia.
There are several stores mostly in Tenn. Ky. Oh. and Fl. Most are company stores now, but a few franchises remain, some of which are for sale. Our franchise (owned by Skip Salome Ent.) is now one of very few franchises left, having 3 stores in the area (21st St., 30th St, and a store in Buckeye Lake).
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5213
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/11/28 15:40:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

Every time I'm in Rolla MO I pass "Lee's Fried Chicken" (or maybe it's just "Lee's Chicken") but have never stopped in.
Until now. I passed through Rolla over the holiday weekend and since I was by myself I ordered a 3-piece meal with mashed potatoes and green beans. It was hot, tasted fine, and didn't do horrible things to my insides like Hardee's chicken used to. And as a side note, it was 9pm Thanksgiving Eve when I ordered and I think it was closing time, but none of the food tasted like it had been sitting under heat lamps and the girl who filled my order was cheerful and pleasant.

Brad
gizzardlover
Junior Burger
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2005/12/12 21:34:19 (permalink)
We used to have a Lee's near by and I loved their Gizzards and Livers. Closed down here in Michigan. Would love to know how they prepared them Anyone out their that worked for them who would share their ways of preparing them???? Seems that they must have been Pressure Cooked first and then rolled in their spices and then on to the deep fryer. But what spices and their methods... Would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks! Gizzardlover
E_Jones
Junior Burger
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2006/01/27 20:24:22 (permalink)
quote:

The Lee's Recipe chicken in Hamilton & Fairfield is now called Jocko's Chicken & Fish. Have not tried it.

Jocko's is VERY good, and I would put it on a par with any other fast-food fried chicken. The pieces are large and fresh, and the breading/seasoning is flavorful without being overpowering. It complements the flavor of the chicken very well.

I like Lee's, too, and the Wednesday special is a great buy, even though it is now $3.59.
Sari
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/01/01 19:19:22 (permalink)
I know this discussion has been dead for awhile but there were 3 Lee's in CT for many years- I remember going to the one in Torrington as a little girl after KFC left town and didn't come back til the mid 90s.

I worked for the Torrington store in the mid 90s- the other two were in Waterbury and Bloomfield. The torrington store is now a Subway and I recently went to Waterbury to find that store was condemened!

Please someone tell me Bloomfield is still there- if not all we have in CT in KFC and I can't stand their chicken!

Anyone know where the closest Lee's is to CT??
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/01/01 23:20:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sari

I know this discussion has been dead for awhile but there were 3 Lee's in CT for many years- I remember going to the one in Torrington as a little girl after KFC left town and didn't come back til the mid 90s.

I worked for the Torrington store in the mid 90s- the other two were in Waterbury and Bloomfield. The torrington store is now a Subway and I recently went to Waterbury to find that store was condemened!

Please someone tell me Bloomfield is still there- if not all we have in CT in KFC and I can't stand their chicken!

Anyone know where the closest Lee's is to CT??

Have you aver tried Uncle Willy's Barbecue (Waterbury and New Haven) for fried chicken? I had it once and it was INCREDIBLE...they are known for their barbecue and their fried chicken. And they have real hush puppies that were also to die for.
Rex Foga
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/05/29 14:12:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ombuddy

Lee's Fried Chicken in Rolla catered a lunch that I hosted for 100 people. The service was terrific. The food arrived on time, hot and delicious. Lee's offers roasted chicken and will mix roasted and fried. The biscuits are light and fluffy. The red beans and rice side is spicy, with plenty of sausage.
r5700
Junior Burger
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/07/10 15:13:01 (permalink)
I owned 26% in 25 Ohio Famous Recipe Fried Chicken franchises, including Dayton and surrounding areas. When my fatherinlaw died, the other partners stole my interests, including my inlaws.Harold Ohmer and Lee Cummings were the originators and both were Harlan Sanders nephews.Harlan was in our stores constantly and tho was religious had a foul mouth to employees.Most of the recipes were close to the same as KFC, almost exact.It was a good operation and many times the units could be run with just two people, until a rush. I had opened up and we generated many deliveries to NCR factories before delivering was in.I gave the union steward a free dinner and 10% off the entire order.200 dinners fit into a station wagon, and was set for delivery with an added person.At the time we expanded into all parts of the economy and was successful.Dinners were $1.25 per dinner of 3 pcs, m/potatoes w/gravy, cole slaw, 2 biscuits and a packet of honey, salt and pepper, fork, spoon, knife,wetnap and napkin.We sold tons of chicken per store per week.I greww it to the 'best' and was robbed by family, but still retain recipes and am thinking of opening another chain, by the same name, since that name has no longer been used for decades.anyone interested in investing can get me in deerfield beach , fl.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/07/10 18:48:51 (permalink)
Good luck. It sounds like your attorney's and your agreement was not up to snuff. Sorry for your loss.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
alaskan
Junior Burger
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/07/15 14:50:42 (permalink)
I would be interested in setting up a simplified "Famous Recipe" that could be Kiosked, malled or co-branded in a free standing unit.[font=Verdana
ran22d
Junior Burger
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/10/27 18:47:44 (permalink)
We use to own 3 of Lee's in Ohio and the two that are in Ocala, Florida my aunt owns. I love Lee's! Ours were always ranked towards the top in the nation... we did things right, of course there are going to be some out there that aren't as good and aren't ran well but you will always find the very best at the ones in Ocala (I can assure you.)
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/10/28 07:57:34 (permalink)
Hello to three brand new posters.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2007/11/20 05:32:27 (permalink)
I've eaten at three Lee's Famous Recipe chicken places. Sandusky, Ohio, New Philadelphia, Oh and Berea, Ky. I thought they were pretty good. If you like gizzards, I think they still sell them. The sweet tea was excellent too.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/01/10 10:43:40 (permalink)
I bring this thread back to respond to the daily front page review included a Lee's Stand as today's entry!!

It is interesting to read the endorsement of a South Carolina Lee's Stand as being part of a uniques chain, not unlike In N Out in concept. That will drive some of the purists a bit off-track !

We have a Lee's at the Corydon, IN (Exit #105) on I-64 west of Louisville. I rate the chicken above KFC but not as good as Popeye's Spicy!!
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/01/10 10:57:35 (permalink)
Note that this is an ayersian review, not a Michael Stern review.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/01/10 14:06:16 (permalink)
Thank You Bruce, That should pacify the Purist's who translate the 'scriptures' quite literally! I did edit my original comments to reflect your correction. Thanks
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18874
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/01/10 14:55:44 (permalink)
There used to be Lee's around Columbus, but they've been gone for several years.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/01/14 14:26:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I bring this thread back to respond to the daily front page review included a Lee's Stand as today's entry!!

It is interesting to read the endorsement of a South Carolina Lee's Stand as being part of a uniques chain, not unlike In N Out in concept. That will drive some of the purists a bit off-track !

Exactly, Al. But Stern reviewed In-N-Out, so I figured I could get away with Lee's, though I asked Bruce first if he'd post it before I wrote it. He said sure, but be aware that you'll hear about it on the forum!

Having grown up in Rock Hill, frankly I've not had a better potato wedge than at Lee's. Everyone in town agrees, so I thought why not review it? Fellow RFer Nancypalooza stopped and ate there on her way through Rock Hill recently and loved it. I'm just sad to read of all the closings in this thread, plus the store that closed in Hartford, CT near me...
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/11/23 20:53:35 (permalink)
Saw something I haven't seen in 20+ years today in St. Peters, MO - a brand new Lee's Famous Recipe is opening on Mexico Rd. The building is being constructed to look the same as the 20 year old locations around the rest of the St. Louis area.
adm22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Lee's Fried Chicken 2008/12/03 02:01:12 (permalink)
I was going to mention I had seen and stopped at the Lee's in Rolla here. Was unaware that any were still around there were a fair number in central Illinois that vaniished about 20-25 years ago. everyone I knew just calld them Famous Recipe. Was sort of in a rush and wound up getting strips to go a dinner is hard to eat while driving. I talked with the satff and theysaid there were lots of them around in a lot of states many of whihc I have been to but this was the first I have seen in a very long time. They must be well hidden.

Did try the webpage mentioned in this thread and got nothing- seems that it needs a newer version of flash than my computer can handle. I hate it when websites are too fancy for their own good that can drive away customers.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1