Left Over Hot Dogs

Author
NY Hot Dogz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2010/06/06 02:22:49 (permalink)

Left Over Hot Dogs

Hey guys,
i know the best situation is not to have any dogs left over at the end of the day, but what do you guys do if you have some left? (other than eat them lol)

how long is it ok to have the dog in the water before they start turning brown and looking awful?

thanks!

Jeff

28 Replies Related Threads

localnet
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1064
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/06 04:12:13 (permalink)
    I forget who said it, but they make a beenie weenie mix and sell it the next day. It sounds like a good idea if you have some good tasting beans.

Mike
    DadsDogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/06 07:33:58 (permalink)
    localnet

I forget who said it, but they make a beenie weenie mix and sell it the next day. It sounds like a good idea if you have some good tasting beans.

Mike

I could be mistaken but I think it was stubby. 

There's only 2 types of dogs I have, sold and unsold.  I usually will find someone close to where I set-up to give the few unsold ones to.  Since I move around different days of the week the people vary.  If you have a couple left you can give them to the person who watches your cart while you go to the restroom or helps you with a little set-up, etc., etc.   DD
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/06 08:00:55 (permalink)
    Do everyone a favor and feed them to your family, your customers don't really want them reserved in any way, shape, or form......Chef BillyB
    DadsDogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/07 02:33:00 (permalink)
    BillyB

Do everyone a favor and feed them to your family, your customers don't really want them reserved in any way, shape, or form......Chef BillyB

I only serve them once(not reserved) Billy and they are fresh from the steamer...I only serve quality food, whether I sell it or give it away.   DD
    franksrocks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 255
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/07 04:16:59 (permalink)
    I usually save them for beanie weenie.  Only problem is that people only really want it in the winter.

I was watching the show "Future Foods" and they took cooked Bratwurst, ground it up with spices and onion, and then made new Bratwurst out of them.  People tried them and said they were just as good as fresh Bratwurst.  Haven't tried it with hot dogs, but I assume it might be possible.  Sure would save me some money. 
    localnet
    • Total Posts : 1064
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/07 07:06:15 (permalink)
    If they are cooked and held properly, the beenie weenie idea is a good one. Now I would never serve yesterdays dog directly to a customer and try to pass it off as fresh, that is just gross in my book. But if you can safely reuse as ingredients in another dish, why not? Just don't make the dog the main ingredient and of course date mark.

Mike
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/07 07:46:18 (permalink)
    Some dog vendors (upstate NY) grind them up and they become the basis for their chile sauce that they use on their dogs. Not a bad way for an old dog to go......
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/07 10:14:44 (permalink)
    Don't you think left over hot dog is an oxymoron?
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/07 19:12:21 (permalink)
    Depends on the hot dog, are they skinless or natural casing, what type of casing?
    NY Hot Dogz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/08 01:40:16 (permalink)
    Sabrett natural Casing
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/08 19:07:22 (permalink)
    Few hours tops, but that is me.  Some vendors leave dogs in the water all day, people still eat them too!

Hold your dogs in a pan with a false bottom, fill the bottom of the pan just up to the false bottom with dog water.  Tune the heat so it holds the pan at 160-165 degrees F.
    MikeinRI
    • Total Posts : 1127
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/08 19:28:07 (permalink)
    This has been discussed here before. One good idea that was repeated was to grind em up and put into chili. (Too much bother for me. I'm old and tired. Trying to do less, not more)
    Another good idea was to give them to someone that helps you out. You're gonna get a feel for when to not throw any more in. If it's slowing down and you're a half hour to an hour from packing up you may only want a half dozen in there.
    Today, for example, I started packing up with 4 in the pan (and 6 meatballs...2 subs) Before I was done packing I sold the 2 subs and 3 dogs. Tossed the last dog. It was funky cause the heat had been off for a half hour. Turned away only one sale today cause I was just about leaving. I've said this before and I don't know if it happens alot to others but, every day without fail, I lose sales in the AM (I'm on site at 9) cause they're not ready, and in the afternoon cause I'm closed. (I start packing up most days 4:30)

I read somewhere a while back that any hot dog turns to a pencil eraser after 45 minutes in water. I serve Nathans and I think that it's true. And that's simmering, not boiling. I had to serve Old Neighborhood a few times when I couldn't get Nathans and they seemed to hold better.
    Dogs hold longest steamed vs. water. But if you're that concerned about how long they're sitting, you need a new spot.
    Good luck
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/08 21:00:22 (permalink)
    I really have to wonder what the local HD inspector would say about using leftover dogs to make chili with?  Some of the guys have trouble with the chili itself in the first place.  Many don't like the self-made and only want vendors using the canned ones.
    muffin336
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 07:21:24 (permalink)
    Where I'm located is a little different that I have people in the parking lot hanging out working on their 4X4's and trail rigs, when I 'm ready to leave I yell out I'm leaving and last call, if that doesn't work I yell half price dogs and that always sells the drinks and snacks to go with the half price dogs!
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 08:06:48 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

I really have to wonder what the local HD inspector would say about using leftover dogs to make chili with?  Some of the guys have trouble with the chili itself in the first place.  Many don't like the self-made and only want vendors using the canned ones.

Lorna, what's wrong with chopping up tasteless hot dogs and putting them in tasteless canned chili ????????  I agree, I don't think the HD would want any leftover foods used the next day. In my business there are many ways of using leftovers, Chopping up Hot dogs have never been one of them, unless your making dog food. ...............Chef BillyB
    lornaschinske
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 10:50:22 (permalink)
    BillyB
    Lorna, what's wrong with chopping up tasteless hot dogs and putting them in tasteless canned chili ????????  I agree, I don't think the HD would want any leftover foods used the next day. In my business there are many ways of using leftovers, Chopping up Hot dogs have never been one of them, unless your making dog food. ...............Chef BillyB

So if you agree, what's with the question?  As for tasteless chili, mine's not tasteless... guess that's why I'm not a chef??  I'm really not into leftovers, either mine or someone else's. I certainly wouldn't serve a customer leftovers.  We usually only have a few leftover dogs and sausages (yesterday it was 2 dogs & 1 sausage... BBQ sold out... I will heat the sausage on the grill for lunch today and toss the dogs to the dog... makes her feel special). It's just a strange as so many HD's are on the food, I find it hard to believe that many will allow the reuse of previously cooked food to be re-served. I know the Corpus HD was very much against it.

BTW, You've been awfully cranky lately.... summer heat getting to you already or have you been dealing with too many customers who are... challenged?

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 12:12:31 (permalink)
    Lorna, You can make your own chili, can't you ??????????? I don't agree with adding the dogs to the Chili either, it won't do anything for it. The HD Cart is a one trick pony, don't mess around with the one trick..................... As for being Cranky, I though one Btl of wine would mellow me out, I guess I'll have to step it up a bit. ........I see your back in NM ?????  Chef BillyB
    lornaschinske
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 16:19:13 (permalink)
    BillyB

Lorna, You can make your own chili, can't you ??????????? ....I see your back in NM ?????  Chef BillyB

No, I have use canned (Hormel) chili and "fix" it with my own odd blend of spices (I'm on my third or fourth revision).  I must be doing something right because everyone raves about it... even the guy who informed David that he hated  the "Hormel crap that other hot dog carts use" but we had really good chili    As for NM, yep we're back... starved out of Corpus, who'd of thunk it!  We make more in one day in this tiny town than we did in Corpus.   We made more in our first 2 days back here (Monday and Tuesday) than we did in our best month in Corpus!  Needless to say, we won't go back to Corpus.  We'll try a smaller town farther inland.  We like smaller towns anyway.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2010/06/09 16:21:27
    RAINY DAY HOT DOG
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 16:50:10 (permalink)
    MikeinRI

This has been discussed here before. One good idea that was repeated was to grind em up and put into chili. (Too much bother for me. I'm old and tired. Trying to do less, not more)
    Another good idea was to give them to someone that helps you out. You're gonna get a feel for when to not throw any more in. If it's slowing down and you're a half hour to an hour from packing up you may only want a half dozen in there.
    Today, for example, I started packing up with 4 in the pan (and 6 meatballs...2 subs) Before I was done packing I sold the 2 subs and 3 dogs. Tossed the last dog. It was funky cause the heat had been off for a half hour. Turned away only one sale today cause I was just about leaving. I've said this before and I don't know if it happens alot to others but, every day without fail, I lose sales in the AM (I'm on site at 9) cause they're not ready, and in the afternoon cause I'm closed. (I start packing up most days 4:30)

I read somewhere a while back that any hot dog turns to a pencil eraser after 45 minutes in water. I serve Nathans and I think that it's true. And that's simmering, not boiling. I had to serve Old Neighborhood a few times when I couldn't get Nathans and they seemed to hold better.
    Dogs hold longest steamed vs. water. But if you're that concerned about how long they're sitting, you need a new spot.
    Good luck
    [/qutr

try vienna beef, i have had sit for 4 hours (which is what max time was according to the box) looked fine and tasted great.  They do get a little different of a color but very little texture or taste change. I drop in water to temp and then steam for the rest of the time.
    MikeinRI
    • Total Posts : 1127
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 17:11:19 (permalink)
    RAINY DAY HOT DOG

MikeinRI

Good luck
    [/qutr

try vienna beef, i have had sit for 4 hours (which is what max time was according to the box) looked fine and tasted great.  They do get a little different of a color but very little texture or taste change. I drop in water to temp and then steam for the rest of the time.

Vienna was one of the ones I taste tested when deciding what to sell. Not for me thanks. But I don't have a problem with holding dogs too long.
    Sadly, I don't have a dog  :(  to give leftovers to but maybe soon.  :)  To me, that's the only good way to deal with old hot dogs.

Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 18:24:52 (permalink)
    Texas weiner sauce has minced skinless hot dogs.
    RAINY DAY HOT DOG
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 19:04:51 (permalink)
    Man Mike I have one better.....a 6 year old who would give his left arm up if I let him eat hot dogs for every meal.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/09 21:18:04 (permalink)
    I have always tossed everything off the cart. No leftovers, Happy dogs
    Some days one, some days 6.
    post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/06/09 21:25:24
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1311
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/11 17:18:36 (permalink)
    I admit it.

There's a place where I work that has a number of street fairs nearby; I arrange to leave about 20 minutes before the fairs end on those days. I run to stands where I like the food, see if they have a bunch of leftovers, and make an offer. Sometimes they take the deal, usually they don't, but I almost always get SOME good bargains that way.

Unfortunately, with a daily business "end of the day specials" have a way of having customers wait until the end of the day to buy. But it's a thought.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/11 17:52:19 (permalink)
    bartl

I admit it.

There's a place where I work that has a number of street fairs nearby; I arrange to leave about 20 minutes before the fairs end on those days. I run to stands where I like the food, see if they have a bunch of leftovers, and make an offer. Sometimes they take the deal, usually they don't, but I almost always get SOME good bargains that way.

Unfortunately, with a daily business "end of the day specials" have a way of having customers wait until the end of the day to buy. But it's a thought.

I hope you buy Rolaids by the case.
    I have seen whats comes off vendors carts at the end of day. And Barkers "GOING HOME SPECIAL"
    Bloomin Onions 3 for $5.00

Oh, ya I'm there. 

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/06/11 18:00:25
    hbeaman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/11 18:17:43 (permalink)
    I kept waiting for someone to point out that heath codes do not allow but one reheat of cooked foods and that incudes hot dogs

Herman
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/11 18:35:40 (permalink)
    Chop 'em up. Grind 'em up. Add beer. Let 'em sit in the sun for 5-6 days.
    Mush 'em up.
    Great stink bait = delicious fried catfish.

At the end of the day, leftovers should go in the waste receptacle. Not worth the liability.
    B&M restaurant a different story.
    CyberDivan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Left Over Hot Dogs 2010/06/11 20:05:36 (permalink)
    beenie weenie
    NY Hot Dogz

Hey guys,
    i know the best situation is not to have any dogs left over at the end of the day, but what do you guys do if you have some left? (other than eat them lol)

how long is it ok to have the dog in the water before they start turning brown and looking awful?

thanks!

Jeff

I would never use left over hot dogs on my cart.  But I do try to use them up.  Here's my beenie weenie recipe:

2 Large Cans of Pork & Beans
    1 Can of Armor Vegetarian Chili ( this has some really good spices and flavor)
    Sliced left over hot dogs.
    Add favorite hot sauce.

Enjoy.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1