The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Leidy's pork roll

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
Leidy's pork roll Thu, 09/11/08 8:47 PM (permalink)
I have usually been satisfied with Leidy's pork products, and sometimes happily surprised. They are available in Redners Markets in Southern Chester County , PA, and Cecil County Md, where I work. I had tge opportunity to try their version of pork roll last week and found it to be great. It has a distinctive texture and flavor that sets it apart from the usual regional product which, I should note, I do not disparage. but, if you have access to it, give it a try. Ut incorporates bacon, which adds a great deal to the flavor

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
    RE: Leidy's pork roll Thu, 09/11/08 10:07 PM (permalink)
    I wrote about about a 30 line essay about Leidy's and Redner's Markets. Before composing my essay, I must have made a typo in my login (I did not log into the site first, just hit the "Reply" button. Well, my essay got blown away.

To summarize, I have bought the Leidy's pork roll at a Redner's Warehouse Market in Middletown, NY, and found it to be very tasty. A different style of pork roll from the Trenton-style (Taylor, Case, Loeffler.) Restaurant Depot sells Leidy's excellent bacon (both in 1 pound Cryovac packages and restaurant bulk packs) in the NYC area. Leidy's hams are also very good and show up from time-to-time in NYC supermarkets, as well as being almost always available at Redner's.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
      RE: Leidy's pork roll Sat, 09/13/08 6:08 AM (permalink)
      I worked helping out on thanksgiving soup line for VOA in columbus many years back. We were serving a sit down full turkey meal(tickets were given out by churches and local shelters. We learned from previous years that we would have a ton of hungry homeless hanging around the are waiting for an 11 am start the the dinners. They got a ton of FDA commodities for the in house program Along w/the govt cheese, kilk, eggs,estc the recieved pullman sized tins or FDA approved govt tinned pork/ It was like an extra oily spam. If you grilled it all the gelitan binder would melt and it litterally fell apart! on a sandwich on a hot day you had a really juicy sandwich with pieces of loose gellatioous, chewy meat-kinda (gross). I digressed. We served sadwiches of it with coffee to give them a little brealfast.
      My question is the tinned meat anything like pork roll?
      britt

Phildelmar

RE: Leidy's pork roll Sat, 09/13/08 9:28 PM (permalink)
        I was in Redners market in Elkton, MD today and got 2 pounds of this for $3.28 a pound, which is good value for low shrinkage breakfast meat, which, as i previously noted, has a great flavor.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Leidy's pork roll Sun, 09/14/08 3:21 AM (permalink)
          britt, no. Pork roll is a formed seasoned product w/o a lot of fat. kinda like a salami but lighter in color and flavor. I've had taylor's and another brand and I liked both.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
            RE: Leidy's pork roll Sun, 09/14/08 7:36 AM (permalink)
            Thanks Mike. I did some back checking here and even found some pics. it does look like a fatty of color salami.
            Thanks
            brittt

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
              RE: Leidy's pork roll Sun, 09/14/08 7:47 AM (permalink)
              Phildelmar,
              You say it has a different taste from the two classic brands,Taylor and Case...in what way...does it clearly taste like what we would say is "pork Roll" in a blind taste test...or does it taste like something different????

Phildelmar

RE: Leidy's pork roll Sun, 09/14/08 8:03 AM (permalink)
                The texture is softer, less dense. The flavor is less salty. The addition of chopped bacon adds to the experience. It is eeasily distinguishable. As I said, I like the Taylor and Case products, but this is an interesting variation

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
                  RE: Leidy's pork roll Sun, 09/14/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
                  Yes,it does sound different...I'd like to try it...but with different ingredients I wonder if it's fair to call it "pork roll"?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com