Leidy's pork roll

Author
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 847
2008/09/11 20:47:22 (permalink)

Leidy's pork roll

I have usually been satisfied with Leidy's pork products, and sometimes happily surprised. They are available in Redners Markets in Southern Chester County , PA, and Cecil County Md, where I work. I had tge opportunity to try their version of pork roll last week and found it to be great. It has a distinctive texture and flavor that sets it apart from the usual regional product which, I should note, I do not disparage. but, if you have access to it, give it a try. Ut incorporates bacon, which adds a great deal to the flavor

8 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/11 22:07:18 (permalink)
    I wrote about about a 30 line essay about Leidy's and Redner's Markets. Before composing my essay, I must have made a typo in my login (I did not log into the site first, just hit the "Reply" button. Well, my essay got blown away.

To summarize, I have bought the Leidy's pork roll at a Redner's Warehouse Market in Middletown, NY, and found it to be very tasty. A different style of pork roll from the Trenton-style (Taylor, Case, Loeffler.) Restaurant Depot sells Leidy's excellent bacon (both in 1 pound Cryovac packages and restaurant bulk packs) in the NYC area. Leidy's hams are also very good and show up from time-to-time in NYC supermarkets, as well as being almost always available at Redner's.

brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/13 06:08:45 (permalink)
    I worked helping out on thanksgiving soup line for VOA in columbus many years back. We were serving a sit down full turkey meal(tickets were given out by churches and local shelters. We learned from previous years that we would have a ton of hungry homeless hanging around the are waiting for an 11 am start the the dinners. They got a ton of FDA commodities for the in house program Along w/the govt cheese, kilk, eggs,estc the recieved pullman sized tins or FDA approved govt tinned pork/ It was like an extra oily spam. If you grilled it all the gelitan binder would melt and it litterally fell apart! on a sandwich on a hot day you had a really juicy sandwich with pieces of loose gellatioous, chewy meat-kinda (gross). I digressed. We served sadwiches of it with coffee to give them a little brealfast.
    My question is the tinned meat anything like pork roll?
    britt
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/13 21:28:26 (permalink)
    I was in Redners market in Elkton, MD today and got 2 pounds of this for $3.28 a pound, which is good value for low shrinkage breakfast meat, which, as i previously noted, has a great flavor.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/14 03:21:33 (permalink)
    britt, no. Pork roll is a formed seasoned product w/o a lot of fat. kinda like a salami but lighter in color and flavor. I've had taylor's and another brand and I liked both.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/14 07:36:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike. I did some back checking here and even found some pics. it does look like a fatty of color salami.
    Thanks
    brittt
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6239
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/14 07:47:47 (permalink)
    Phildelmar,
    You say it has a different taste from the two classic brands,Taylor and Case...in what way...does it clearly taste like what we would say is "pork Roll" in a blind taste test...or does it taste like something different????
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/14 08:03:50 (permalink)
    The texture is softer, less dense. The flavor is less salty. The addition of chopped bacon adds to the experience. It is eeasily distinguishable. As I said, I like the Taylor and Case products, but this is an interesting variation
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6239
    RE: Leidy's pork roll 2008/09/14 08:43:23 (permalink)
    Yes,it does sound different...I'd like to try it...but with different ingredients I wonder if it's fair to call it "pork roll"?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1