Lemon Custard Ice Cream

Author
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
2003/10/10 14:17:10 (permalink)

Lemon Custard Ice Cream

I have always been a chocoholic when buying ice cream. The one exception that I would make as a child was for Lemon Custard Ice Cream. I haven’t had any in years. I’m not sure if this was a Southern thing or not?

Anybody know any good places to buy old fashioned Lemon Custard Ice Cream?

23 Replies Related Threads

Suelou
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2003/11/15 15:59:12 (permalink)
    No, but I have a great recipe so that you can make your own.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Custard Ice Cream

Recipe By :posted by woodsl
    Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Ice Cream/Frozen Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 quart milk
    4 large eggs -- beaten
    1 cup lemon juice
    3 cups whipping cream

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan and gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool two minutes. Blend a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan. Cook one minute; do not let the mixture boil. Transfer to a large bowl. Add lemon juice. Chill until cool. Blend in the cream. Freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. If I recall, this makes a little over a half gallon. If you have a gallon capacity freezer, I won't recommend doubling the recipe, I think that would be too much. Perhaps one and one/half times the recipe.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 252 Calories; 16g Fat (54.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 93mg Cholesterol; 75mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Delicious with a good lemon taste and creamy. I added zest of one lemon and next time will chill the liquid before processing.

Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2003/11/17 13:49:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipe. It's interesting, as I don't ever recall seeing an ice cream recipe with flour in it. I'll have to try it.

One used to be able to buy Lemon Custard ice cream at soda fountains in drugstores in Georgia years ago. The last time I recall buying it was at a Baskin-Robbins at a mall. I checked the Baskin-Robbins web site and found they still have it listed as one of their flavors. But they show it as a "Regional Flavor," which likely means the South. It is one of their oldest flavors and was sold when they first began in 1945.

One other thing I noticed on their web site that I thought was interesting is that Baskin-Robbins shows Chocolate Almond ice cream as a "Regional Flavor." I would have thought Chocolate Almond ice cream would be a national flavor.
    bksleva
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/02/08 09:59:58 (permalink)
    You can get lemon custard ice cream at The Custard Cup located at 2507 North Vermilion Street in Danville, IL. They also have a store located near the University of Illinois sports complex in Champaign, IL but I don't know the address of that one. The stores are seasonal and the Danville store opens sometime around Easter through about the middle of October. The Champaign store usually opens a little earlier and stays open a little later in the year than the Danville store. They always have vanilla, chocolate, and lemon custard and also have a different special featured flavor each week. My children like to get a scoop of lemon with a scoop of chocolate on top. The Custard Cup also has a sundae topping called cold fudge that is out of this world. If you go to The Custard Cup be prepared to stand in line.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/02/16 09:49:18 (permalink)
    The Cow Palace in Shelbyville,In use to have this flavor fairly often. It was one of my favorites. They owned a dairy in town (Compton's) and opened the shop to sell their ice cream. I understand they closed their dairy in recent years but the Cow Palace is still open but they must buy their ice cream someplace else. So I don't know if lemon custard is still on the menu. This was way before frozen custards were a familiar thing in centrtal Indiana.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/02/16 10:28:33 (permalink)
    The flour may be for texture---but then this is just a semieducated guess and we all know a LITTLE knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7066
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/02/16 10:30:18 (permalink)
    Seems like the flour is a safety net. When you make ice cream you start out with eggs, sugar and milk/cream and make a creme Anglaise which if you cook too long you will end up with sweetened scrambled eggs . The addition of the small amount of flour will allow the most novice ice cream maker cook it a little toooooo long without ruining it. Also, it is lemon CUSTARD ice cream (custard always contains flour).
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7066
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/02/16 10:57:27 (permalink)
    Thanks. I attended class that day.
    cccowboy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/07/24 17:39:37 (permalink)
    hi!!! i share your love of lemon custard ice cream,and i too had not had any in many a year until recently,when i found it at a local shop near my home in nc,but upon doing a search online,i see that baskin-robbins has lemon custard ice cream. robert
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashley Wilkes

I have always been a chocoholic when buying ice cream. The one exception that I would make as a child was for Lemon Custard Ice Cream. I haven’t had any in years. I’m not sure if this was a Southern thing or not?

Anybody know any good places to buy old fashioned Lemon Custard Ice Cream?

brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/07/24 20:03:10 (permalink)
    I recall that Howard Johnson's (anybody remember that brand?) made a wonderful lemon custard ice cream (to my pre-adolescent palate). For me, it was always a tough decision between lemon custard, mint chocolate chip and peppermint stick. I don't know whether Howard Johnson ice cream had southern antecedents; it was certainly all over the east coast during my youth.

More recently, I have had lemon custard from Blue Bell. They are out of Texas, so that qualifies as southern or southwestern depending upon which part of the state they started.

Perhaps somebody else has further light to shed on this rare but most delicious flavor.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/07/24 21:47:06 (permalink)
    Ron's Dariette in Fort Dodge, IA has killer lemon custard.
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/07/26 16:46:10 (permalink)
    I recently found a place in Georgia that serves Midwestern-style frozen custard. This custard has egg yolks and has a certain percentage of butterfat that is different from ice cream. They have to make it several times a day to ensure it tastes right.

But that’s not what I remember. The lemon custard I remember was a flavor of ice cream. I remember getting it at the Varsity in Atlanta when I was young. I have no idea whether or not it had egg yolks?
    danfling
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/10/07 11:27:56 (permalink)
    Lemon custard was also my father's favorite flavor.

We used to get it at the store, but I do not remember what brand it was. This was in Mississippi.

My father loved lemon cake, lemon cookies, or anything flavored with lemon.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2004/10/07 18:12:54 (permalink)
    My Dad always got a Lemon milkshake when we went to the Dairy Queen.It sounded odd to me,but when I finally tried it it became one of my favorites too.
    But this totally freaked my Ma out.It was her fervent belief that you never have milk with lemon or orange or lime,because it would certainly "curdle your stomach".I never knew what that meant,and she could never actually define it,but needless to say for most of my young life it sounded scary enough to prohibit me from doing so.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2007/06/07 15:37:33 (permalink)
    Baskin Robbins makes this and although i'm not a fan of lemon flavored treats, it was REALLY good!
    AggieNATL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2008/04/08 23:47:29 (permalink)
    The Varsity in ATL has pretty decent lemon custard ice cream...
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2008/04/11 09:11:30 (permalink)
    I remember this being a favorite flavor of "Mellow Buttercup Ice Milk" and my favorite on my first of many diets!

Cathy, "Diet is DIE with a T"
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2008/04/11 09:27:12 (permalink)
    Turkey Hill has a "Southern Lemon Pie" ice cream out there. Seeing that, I had to try it. Decent lemon flavor ice cream, with a marshmallow swirls and 'cake-ie' bits.
    Not bad, but I don't know if I'd buy that big container again!
    potterpan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2011/09/02 19:48:36 (permalink)
    Lemon Custard Ice Cream has always been my favorite but, oh, so hard to find!  High's in Washington, D.C. always had it....way back in the 70s!  Good grief...how hard should it be?  I don't worry about curdling.  That's their problem!  I want ice cream manufacturers to figure that out!   
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2011/09/02 20:22:30 (permalink)
    I've been ordering lemon custard ice cream for nearly 40 years at Baskin Robbins stores, and it's delicious.  I never thought of it as particularly Southern, but it's certainly listed as one of their regional flavors.  Who knew.

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/IceCream/regionalflavors.aspx
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/09/02 20:31:43
    webean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2011/09/12 13:14:23 (permalink)
    In Lincoln Nebraska....CL Dairy Sweet on Coddington and Pioneer Blvd serves lemon custard during the summer season.
    The University Dairy Store on the East Campus makes lemon custard also ....but do not think it is available all of the time.
    Both are quite good and fresh.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2011/09/12 16:43:33 (permalink)
    The lemon custard flavor at Baskin Robbins has been only available regionally for the last few decades.  When I was growing up in Southern California, it was a standard option at BR, but disappeared sometime in the 1970s.  However, when I visit BR stores in the midwest or south, the lemon custard is usually available.  Go figure.

(I have a good friend who LOVES lemon custard ice cream, and looks for it in every BR we visit, so I'm sensitized to this issue!)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    Re:Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2011/09/13 04:29:02 (permalink)
    My favorite flavor from BR is Pink Grapefruit Ice. A seasonal offering, I haven't seen it in the East for 20 years.

We have found Lemon Gelato at Freddies Pizza & Deli in Berwyn, IL to be a wonderful lemony treat.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Lemon Custard Ice Cream 2011/09/13 07:07:44 (permalink)
    Last time I checked, we still had Lemon Custard ice cream at the local Mayberry's here in Burlington - the location is right across the street from the City Park and our historic carousel. I get this flavor on occasion, but I'm usually disappointed with the lack of lemon flavor. I need to see if the local homemade Smitty's offers a lemon ice cream.

However, I still yearn for the Lemon Icebox Pie ice cream that I could get at the Greensboro gelato/epresso vendor in the local movie theatre years ago. That was my most favorite ice cream of all time. My friend and I would leave w/o purchasing anything if they were out of our favorite.
    post edited by tcrouzer - 2011/09/13 08:20:41
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1