Lenten Fish Frys

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/13 10:04:42 (permalink)

I went to one church fish fry last week and forgot the camera. Two pieces of catfish, french fries, hushpuppies and tea.
There were some home made desserts @$.75 ea.  There was a banana pudding and apple spice cake that I added to the meal.

Yesterday I passed another church that was holding their fry, and I pulled in. They had a generous portion of some whitefish that seemed lighter in flavor and texture than catfish, maybe tilapia. The hushpuppies were fine and the rice was Uncle Ben's Pilaf.....
I was surprised that the canned beans were of the sweet style as opposed to ranch.

There were no portion cups, so I have tartar sauce scattered over the filets.  Though there was a cocktail sauce, the red sauce is actually a BBQ sauce.  It seemed odd, maybe for the hushpuppies. In the back is the included dessert with my choice of a pecan caramel spice cake.

mark

battra
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/26 17:42:02 (permalink)
bill voss

battra

About half of the places use fish out of a box and half use hand battered fish...(guess which ones are better!)

Now, what about beer and the like?  Here in St. Louis, we're practically owned by Anheuser Busch, at least we used to be, so we have bars in everythign. (St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, don't forget your Bud Light. Six Flags, get a Jack and Coke! High school hockey game, get a pitcher! Zoo...can't see monkeys without a Bud Select can you?)

So, a big part of the Fish Frys for me, is what beer they have.  Of course AB/InBev products are standard here, but what local brews they have like Schlafly...a great, GREAT local beer...could be an awesome national if they cared to...

Hey Battra, You need to be a patriotic Missourian and drink Boulevard, now the biggest MISSOURI
brewer. :)

To be honest with you, I'm not sure that I've ever had a Boulevard beer...that I remember...I'm sure I've had them at beer fests...but there I get too drunk and forget. ;)

Bill...you're obviously not from around here...there are two parts of Missouri, Missouri and St. Louis.

I'm from St. Louis. :)

battra
Cheeseburger
Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/26 17:44:53 (permalink)
bill voss

Niagara

Growing up Catholic in Western New York, we always had fish fries on fridays, especially during Lent. All the taverns had good ones on fridays, and also the Delis/local grocers had take-out - you could smell it down the block.

Here in Kansas, they are clueless about fish fries. My parish started one last year on fridays for lent, and it was nasty - soggy Mrs. Pauls fish sticks and frozen fries. I really miss these. Ususlly just make fish at home on fridays in lent.

You need to check back in more often. :)
http://lthforum.com/kc/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=555
KC is much more Catholic than Topeka. St. Agnes is the church of my neighborhood,
complete with 8 lane bowling alley, bar with dodger & nehi soda, and shuffleboard coin game.
At least in my 1963 memories.

I totally went to one of those here in STL a couple weeks ago!!!

http://battra13.blogspot.com/2010/03/fish-fryday-2010-4-epiphany-of-our-lord.html

ONDAY, MARCH 15, 2010 Fish Fryday 2010 #4: Epiphany Of Our Lord Church And Bowling Alley

Well, here we are, another Fish Fryday has come and gone and I'm ready to give you the goods on another Fish Fry I attended in South St. Louis City.  I mentioned last week that there wouldn't be a Fish Fryday Post this week, but luckily my lovely wife worked it out to where we were able to make it.

This week, we went to Epiphany Church and Bowling Alley in Lindenwood Park, St. Louis.  Have you ever seen a Church with a bowling alley in it?  I certainly had not, but at least I know of another place to bowl in the City now.

IF Yrill (1)
Tower Pub (1)

battra
Cheeseburger
Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/26 17:47:40 (permalink)
I totally forgot all about this thread!!!!!

Welp, tonight's the last fish fry of the season, and we're headed out right after I get home.  We're going to a Catholic Church, natch, right by our house.

In our neighborhood in St. Louis.

Little sad about the Fish Frydays ending for 2010, but there's always 2011.

battra
Cheeseburger
Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/30 09:39:59 (permalink)
[font="'trebuchet ms', trebuchet, verdana, sans-serif"] Another fish fry has come and gone, and with it, the last Lenten Fish Fry of 2010.  Well, here's where I went:
Fish Fryday 2010 #6: Saint Pius V
This past Friday, the wife and I went out on my Fish Fry hunt.  Even though the in laws were out of town, I was still hungry for some fish.  This week, we chose to go to a very highly regarded fish fry that's actually in one of the Grand South Grand neighborhoods, Saint Pius V in Tower Grove East.

Here's a little background, last year, during Lent I was going to stop by here and get some fish to take home.  My wife was sick and I was picking up some dinner for myself.  My blood sugar was low, and I was cranky.  After nearly getting into about three wrecks in the parking lot, and rushing through the rain trying to find the door to the fish fry, I was in an even worse mood.  Then I find the door and the place is just packed.  The line's out the door, and hungry as I am, I just wasn't going to stand in line when I could just go home and eat something right way. 

When I saw this sign, I have to admit, that I thought it said "Slinger Hall" and that would have been just too cool.

This is where the line starts.  I had a bit of trepidation as we walked to the door.  Thinking about what happened last time and that I just plain didn't want to wait in line all night...

So we entered the door, I was very happy to see that the very long line I had encountered last year was not there today.  Let me also say, last year highway forty was still closed and often times I didn't get home until nearly 6pm.  This day, I left work a bit early and with 40 being open, I get home much faster. 

Took a look at the menu.  Pretty decent pricing, especially for being one of the most highly regarded fish frys in the area.

So, we moved through the line very quickly.  When we went to pay, it only ended up costing eight dollars and fifty cents.  My wife never eats the fish, so she just got a pair of sides to go with her nothing. 

After paying our tab, we headed into the kitchen where they were serving fish at a pretty good clip.  Aside from a couple folks who had no idea what to do with themselves in terms of their ordering, we stepped right up.

See the rest: http://battra13.blogspot.com/2010/03/fish-fryday-2010-6-saint-pius-v.html

I

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1