Lenten Fish Frys

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
battra
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
2010/02/04 09:50:32 (permalink)

Lenten Fish Frys

I live in St. Louis, MO and we're a VERY Catholic town.  Starting this tomorrow, the Lenten Fish Frys are beginning...and I couldn't be more excited...as a  few of the folks in other forums know, I run the 13 blog, that's primarily about slingers, a St. Louis Chili breakfast dish and dive bars.

I decided this year that I was going to cover Lenten Fish Frys as well, and I'm going to be overly nice to the folks as I know.

Here we get a lot of jack and cod, some baked salmon and such.  Lots of shrimp.  Meatless spaghetti and mac and cheese.

What are the fish frys like in your neck of the woods?
post edited by battra - 2010/02/04 12:02:16

34 Replies Related Threads

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 11:10:31 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood Battra! Catfish fillets rolled in a spicy batter and fried in peanut oil mostly here in Texas. Crappie is also known to show up. Sand bass or strippers are sometimes used. Whatever gets caught gets cooked. Hush puppies are the main side dish.
    Joe
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 894
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 12:34:53 (permalink)
    Every volunteer fire department and Catholic church in the Pittsburgh area seems to have a Lenten Fish Fry. I'm not sure what type of fish is common for Lenten Fish Fries here. It's quite mild, with a mild batter as well.

It is very typical for a fish sandwich here to be a massive amount of fish, far out of proportion to the bun. Some examples:
    Donatelli's Italian Grocery in Bloomfield advertises a one-pound fish sandwich that will leave me feeling full after two different meals.
    Armand's Fish nearby offers an almost-as-massive portion of fish, but on a significantly smaller bun.
    And the Wilkins Township VFD #3, where we go for a nearby fish fry, considers a sandwich to be two foot-long pieces of fried fish and a hamburger bun. (We have learned from experience that the right order for us is one sandwich and an extra bun. We break each filet in half and stack the pieces to get two sandwiches that are thick by our standards.)

Besides fish, fish fries might have fried shrimp, or perhaps deviled crabs in a silver-cardboard imitation of a shell.

For side dishes, french fries and coleslaw are ubiquitous, and mac and cheese and haluski are common. Pierogies are a possibility.
    None of this has much seasoning at all, except for the butter for the haluski and pierogies. (For some reason, I am under the persistent misapprehension that haluski is seasoned and flavorful. I cannot recall ever having any haluski with much flavor, but I keep ordering it and being surprised at how mild it is.)
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 13:02:14 (permalink)
    When you live in the Milwaukee area, like I do, EVERY Friday is Fish Fry Friday, all year long.

Most churches offer at least a monthly fish fry. 

It's not something reserved for Lenten season around here, but the local church fry's are more crowded during this season.

The biggie is the Lenten SMELT Fry....sounds gross...is kind of gross..but they're plentiful on Lake Michigan.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 13:25:31 (permalink)
    ALLGOOD
    The biggie is the Lenten SMELT Fry....sounds gross...is kind of gross..but they're plentiful on Lake Michigan.

Smelts are popular here in the far West Chicago region at the Greek church festivals in spring. Not gross at all! They're fried!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18433
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 14:02:46 (permalink)
    I don't know of any around Central Ohio. I'd guess that it you want fried fish around here you'd have to go to Long John Silver's or Captain D's.
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 14:20:33 (permalink)
    Haddock and Cod mostly up here in upstate NY
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1091
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 14:26:39 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I don't know of any around Central Ohio. I'd guess that it you want fried fish around here you'd have to go to Long John Silver's or Captain D's.

There are actually several.  Below is a link to last year's list.  My wife and I have been going to the one at St. Michael's for the last 4 or 5 years.  It's ok.  I think it's just pre-battered frozen fish and fries but it is a pretty good deal and kind of fun to go on a Friday night.

http://www.colsdioc.org/Offices/TheCatholicTimes/2009fishfryguide/tabid/1262/Default.aspx
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18433
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 15:32:32 (permalink)
    hatteras04

Michael Hoffman

There are actually several.  Below is a link to last year's list.  My wife and I have been going to the one at St. Michael's for the last 4 or 5 years.  It's ok.  I think it's just pre-battered frozen fish and fries but it is a pretty good deal and kind of fun to go on a Friday night.

http://www.colsdioc.org/Offices/TheCatholicTimes/2009fishfryguide/tabid/1262/Default.aspx

Oh, I didn't even consider the various churches for fish frys.  I was thinking in terms of the ones put on by clubs and organizations such as the VFW, etc.
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 15:46:16 (permalink)
    ralphmelton (For some reason, I am under the persistent misapprehension that haluski is seasoned and flavorful. I cannot recall ever having any haluski with much flavor, but I keep ordering it and being surprised at how mild it is.)

That's the best thing I've read all day!!

There's a Catholic Church out here that does meatless Mexican food...they have the greatest marketing and PR department in the world...they had CNN out doing a story on them last year...

Problem is the food's not that good and they were ill prepared for the wall of folks that showed up after being all over the local and some national media...

Nothing I had from there had anymore seasoning that what came in the box....
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 15:49:22 (permalink)
    kland01s

ALLGOOD

Smelts are popular here in the far West Chicago region at the Greek church festivals in spring. Not gross at all! They're fried!

We don't have anything at all like that.

We don't really have much local fish...buffalo fish is a pretty popular one across the Mississippi in Illinois...but not as much in St. Louis. 

I do wish we had a more St. Louis product when it came to fish.

battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 15:53:04 (permalink)
    About half of the places use fish out of a box and half use hand battered fish...(guess which ones are better!)

Now, what about beer and the like?  Here in St. Louis, we're practically owned by Anheuser Busch, at least we used to be, so we have bars in everythign. (St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, don't forget your Bud Light. Six Flags, get a Jack and Coke! High school hockey game, get a pitcher! Zoo...can't see monkeys without a Bud Select can you?)

So, a big part of the Fish Frys for me, is what beer they have.  Of course AB/InBev products are standard here, but what local brews they have like Schlafly...a great, GREAT local beer...could be an awesome national if they cared to...
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6372
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 16:32:17 (permalink)
    My local American Legion will have an all you can eat fish fry every Friday during lent. The problem with all you can eat is one helping is usually way more than enough at my age. Kind of takes the fun out of taking seconds when the servers walk around with piping hot fried fish. I still take a token piece just for the ceremony of it.
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 16:39:45 (permalink)
    We don't have any all you can eat ones that I know of.  One of the local eateries the wife and I go to a lot does have an all you can eat fish special, but it's horrible...had it once and will never eat it again.
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 16:58:36 (permalink)
    I tell you, people in Milwaukee are so ingrained in doing the Friday fish fry, that it is hard to believe not having a ton of options from the corner tap to the church hall to the most prestigious restaurants around...they all have it, every week... Cod, Perch, Walleye, Haddock...you name it.  And, potato pancakes with applesauce!!!!

The churches even offer their Friday fish fries "to-go".  That should tell you something.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 17:11:24 (permalink)
    "Fish Fries to Go" ... What a great name for a new restaurant!
    Joe
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/04 17:17:33 (permalink)
    All of our churches offer their fish to go.  Personally, I don't like to do that.  I'm no Catholic, but I love just being a part of the scene for a day.  It's like being on vacation...these people go here every week.

Battra sneaks in for fish....
    Tedsrfs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/05 10:01:46 (permalink)
    I used to go to McD's during lent ( yes, I know) when their fish sammies were 49c and quit when they were no longer a dollar special.  It was one of the few times/year I ate fast food so it was a treat.  But really!! the last time I saw them make a fish sandwiche, they took it out of a steam drawer and microwaved it to melt the cheese.   I discovered a mid town Catholic church which offers Lenten fish fries and there is a VFW that is accessible I might try this year.   In previous years there have been local reviews in another forum about which ones might be good or who sponsors them.  Another resource to find who has them is to look on line at your local Catholic diocese bulletin, even if you are not Catholic, because they sometimes include info in their announcements.    I've found it best to go early.   Ted
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/05 10:06:07 (permalink)
    Tonight is our first fish fry of the season!!

Then I'm going to a hockey game for which I'm receiving college credit.

Serious.

:D
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/23 10:09:19 (permalink)
    Of course, the first fish fry was canceled on me...and I did make it to a second one...

Ugh....This was made of fail.

The worst part was that I missed out on free beer.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/26 12:05:04 (permalink)
    Well I just check the website for the Archdiocese of San Antonio,and nary a parish fish fry listed.Bummer. The Corpus Christi diocese has  alisting of every parish having a fish fry.Since the city is on the Gulf of Mexico, that's no surprise.Not sure what they have, i guess redfish, shrimp and other stuff.
    Of course, it seems even though we are about a couple hundred miles from Corpus Christi, and it's about 98 miles or so to Port Lavaca,also on the gulf,you think there would be quite a few seafood restaurants around here in San Antonio,but such really isn't the case.Course i could always go to Fred's Fish Fry, which is a small local chain in town,been here for years.
    I know what your saying about Milwaukee, since i have realtives there,and it has always been that way with fish frys every Friday.
    Guess I'll have to drive down to Texas Pride BBQ.They have fried fish every Friday through spring and summer, plus you can listen to music from some local band too.
    Big_Ted
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/02/28 20:13:43 (permalink)
    Growing up Irish Catholic, Friday fish fries were simply part of the life.  During Lent, mom always fried fish.  Since my family was broke all the time, we only went to fish fries with family members at their houses.   Somebody who had the money for a Fry Daddy or whatever would fry fish everybody caught a few months prior.  Fried walleye, blue gill and catfish.  Sometimes somebody had a few too many and bought some shrimp.  Everybody would get one. 

The Moose Club had a fish fry once that was amazing because of all the walleye and perch.  Somebody had gone fishing up in Wisconsin or Minnesota and brought back a lake.  Good times. 

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/01 08:52:52 (permalink)
    Big Ted---------your a funny guy.  But, being irish usually means "funny guy" anyhow.

Here in Florida every Am Legion, VFW, Boy Scout Troop and Little legue team have fish
    frys 52 Fridays a year.  During lent our parish has one too, the Gulf of Mexico will be
    fish-free soon. 
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/01 10:02:03 (permalink)
    battra

About half of the places use fish out of a box and half use hand battered fish...(guess which ones are better!)

Now, what about beer and the like?  Here in St. Louis, we're practically owned by Anheuser Busch, at least we used to be, so we have bars in everythign. (St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, don't forget your Bud Light. Six Flags, get a Jack and Coke! High school hockey game, get a pitcher! Zoo...can't see monkeys without a Bud Select can you?)

So, a big part of the Fish Frys for me, is what beer they have.  Of course AB/InBev products are standard here, but what local brews they have like Schlafly...a great, GREAT local beer...could be an awesome national if they cared to...

Hey Battra, You need to be a patriotic Missourian and drink Boulevard, now the biggest MISSOURI
    brewer. :)
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/01 13:40:35 (permalink)
    The standard up here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin is the Friday Night Fish Fry and the church fish fries as well. The all you can eat is usually Haddock but often most places will offer dinner specials with Walleye and Lake Perch.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/01 14:14:11 (permalink)
    When I moved to Kingman Park in DC, the little catholic church on Oklahoma Ave was the only place in DC that I saw a Lenten Fish Fry. Problem, it was on Fridays from 3-6pm. So it was over before I got home from work. I haven't seen them advertise for one this year, so I'm resigned to going to my usualy fish fry place: Jimmy's Grill at the Maine Avenue Fish Market

Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/03 15:42:18 (permalink)
    Growing up Catholic in Western New York, we always had fish fries on fridays, especially during Lent. All the taverns had good ones on fridays, and also the Delis/local grocers had take-out - you could smell it down the block.

Here in Kansas, they are clueless about fish fries. My parish started one last year on fridays for lent, and it was nasty - soggy Mrs. Pauls fish sticks and frozen fries. I really miss these. Ususlly just make fish at home on fridays in lent.
    jake53005
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/05 15:37:19 (permalink)
    As many others have said here in wisconsin they are a friday ritual year round.  Every bowling alley, bar, restaurant,VFW, american legion post and even many gas stations have them. Usually perch,haddock,cod,walleye, or blue gill.  Beer battered or breaded with rye bread, cole slaw, fries, potato pancakes, or german potato salad.
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/05 16:20:22 (permalink)
    jake53005:

Try out Mibbs and Viv's in Lannon, WI.  One of the BEST in SE WI.  Get there by 5pm or you wait outside the door (although the inside is just a cigarette smoke nightmare).  Perch is king there.  They have a potato salad that is a cross between German and American and I am not kidding when I say it is AWESOME.  They don't have a website, and it took me forever to find their phone number (not listed).  Take the trip to Lannon on a Friday.  Worth it!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Lenten Fish Frys 2010/03/05 16:49:07 (permalink)
    Niagara

Growing up Catholic in Western New York, we always had fish fries on fridays, especially during Lent. All the taverns had good ones on fridays, and also the Delis/local grocers had take-out - you could smell it down the block.

Here in Kansas, they are clueless about fish fries. My parish started one last year on fridays for lent, and it was nasty - soggy Mrs. Pauls fish sticks and frozen fries. I really miss these. Ususlly just make fish at home on fridays in lent.

You need to check back in more often. :)
     http://lthforum.com/kc/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=555
    KC is much more Catholic than Topeka. St. Agnes is the church of my neighborhood,
    complete with 8 lane bowling alley, bar with dodger & nehi soda, and shuffleboard coin game.
    At least in my 1963 memories.
    post edited by bill voss - 2010/03/05 16:51:49
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1