Leonard's Pit Barbeque

Author
WVCitySlicker
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
2008/05/27 01:07:40 (permalink)

Leonard's Pit Barbeque

I recently saw a segment on www.foodnetwork.com about Leonard's Pit Barbeque in Memphis, TN. Has anyone out there ever eaten at Leonard's and would anyone out there happen to have the BBQ sauce recipe they'd like to share.

5 Replies Related Threads

BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Leonard's Pit Barbeque 2008/05/27 20:32:56 (permalink)
    I Googled this so I have no knowledge of it's authenticity.

The Groveland Hotel
    and Restaurant
    Groveland, California
    Heritage Recipe
    Barbecue Sauce

This group of recipes creates an incredible menu of Southern Barbecue as it was prepared several generations ago. It was passed down to me from my Aunt Dora Simmons (we're all from Memphis, TN), who had received it from her family. This is the same Barbecue as it was prepared by Leonard's Barbecue on Old Highway 51 South in Memphis. As a former schoolmate and neighbor of Elvis Presley, we enjoyed this type of food often. ... Peggy Mosley

Ingredients
    7 cups chopped onions
    1 gallon catsup
    1/2 gallon water
    2 cups chili powder
    4 Tablespoons dry mustard (1/4 cup)
    20 ounces Worcestershire sauce (2-1/2 cups)
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
    1 gallon red wine vinegar
    4 pounds dark brown sugar
    2.7 cups paprika
    12 bay leaves
    2 cups red crushed pepper

Combine all ingredients in large container. Bring to a boil and turn off immediately. Do not cook after boiling point! The sauce will be very thin. Cool and put into containers with tight-fitting lids. Store for 30 days to age. When ready for use, leave open only what will be used. Once sauce is opened to the air, it will thicken immediately.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Leonard's Pit Barbeque 2008/05/27 20:43:34 (permalink)
    I have eaten at Leonard's many times over the last 35 years. The original location was in South Memphis and was fanatastic. The new location, 20 years old, is not nearly as good. They serve the food buffet style and it is good but a far cry from the original. I would not count it in the top 5 barbeque places in Memphis. I much prefer the Cozy Corner, Interstate, Neely's, over Leonards.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Leonard's Pit Barbeque 2008/05/27 20:44:29 (permalink)
    I just watched that episode you are referring to, it was on Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives.

On a side note, Guy loves eveything he tries. I wonder if after he leaves some of these places he says that was on the money... like a penny, LOL

Dennis in Cary
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    RE: Leonard's Pit Barbeque 2008/05/27 20:47:37 (permalink)
    I haven't been to Leonard's since 2000, but I really liked the place. Terrific old fashioned sign out front. But still not in the same class of the best Memphis bbq parlors like Cozy Corner.
    swirsk53
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Leonard's Pit Barbeque 2008/05/29 17:39:13 (permalink)
    Leonard's is good for lunch buffet and when you are out in the east memphis area. I have been told that Leonard's ( probably the original) was one of the favorites of Elvis.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1