LockedLes Halles????

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 11:54:27 (permalink)
There used to be dozens of them. In some ways it was practically the city cuisine at one time. Most have closed, even one of the last survivors, Rene Pujol.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 11:55:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

quote:
Originally posted by WarToad

So I ate at

http://goodfoodnicedrinks.com/ten/?page_id=5

last night for my birthday.

Little hole in the wall place in downtown (ie: all three blocks) of Minot, North Dakota. (helooOOoo flatlands USA) Had the Elk loin. $26. Roadfood? Local wild game, simply grilled, mashed potatos and veggies on the side. Straight forward plate dinner. Classic midwest wild game dinner. Simply cooked, and cooked perfectly.

Does price then exclude what can be roadfood?

By the definitions given on the Roadfood homepage, and in the books, yes--or, at least, greatly restricting it. Even beyond that, I think there's something implicit in the very word, roadfood, that seems to compel the interpretation. 10 Main North may have really good food, but why call it roadfood?

I looked at the menu- can't get any more roadfood than that.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1860
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 12:00:06 (permalink)
quote:
By the definitions given on the Roadfood homepage, and in the books, yes--or, at least, greatly restricting it. Even beyond that, I think there's something implicit in the very word, roadfood, that seems to compel the interpretation. 10 Main North may have really good food, but why call it roadfood?

Local ingredients cooked simply. Isn't that the essense of Roadfood outside of pricing? If the Elk loin dinner plate was $10 would it be roadfood? But $26 excludes the very same meal? Price seems arbitrary if it's simply good food made well.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 12:02:08 (permalink)
quote:

(renfrew: I always give a snort of laughter when I see Luger's on the list)

If that's the case, you might as well throw all of the midwestern Steakhouses off the list too....

It's funny how many consider my opinion to be rigid and closed minded yet not to slight Scott R, because I know for a fact that many on the forum feel the same way he does, but it seems that my opinion compared to others is actually the most "broad" when it comes to the definition of roadfood.
russ2304
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 12:25:49 (permalink)
Sounds like some one needs a bottle (Romani-Conti) and a nappie.Been goin' to Les Halles in NYC for years--Bourdain still ran it and worked the line, before he gained his fame and fortune as a grand author and TV personality when I first started going it is an amazing place of not quite rustic but nonetheless as close to Bistro as one gets in USA.
Never disappoints and consistent for over 20 years---not a bad record.
Roadfood---yes---as I have to get on the road and drive 60 plus miles to get there---pricey --yes but then again so is a 6 buck hot dog at Disney.
This web site is great and so informative in it's breadth and depth in all areas of things culinary and related.
If Scott R is so upset with the semantics of the whole thing perhaps he should hang up his apron and move on to another venue.
Hang in there Roadfooders and keep all the great info coming---I will try and do my part too.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 12:34:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by russ2304
If Scott R is so upset with the semantics of the whole thing perhaps he should hang up his apron and move on to another venue.

As I did not attack you--or anyone else--personally, I would appreciate it if you extended the same courtesy
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 12:40:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WarToad
Local ingredients cooked simply. Isn't that the essense of Roadfood outside of pricing? If the Elk loin dinner plate was $10 would it be roadfood? But $26 excludes the very same meal? Price seems arbitrary if it's simply good food made well.

*Is* that Roadfood? Perhaps, a big component at least. Again, I'm not going by my own personal vision of how things are, but by a definition reiterated over and over, on the front page of this very site, and in the Roadfood books. Though there are aspects to "local ingredients cooked simply" that fit in the spirit, how would that apply to Les Halles, then? How many different things are we shoehorning into what is called Roadfood--specifically, things outside of what we are repeatedly given here and in the books?
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 12:57:28 (permalink)
Scott_R, I wouldn't get too hung up on the various "definitions" of Roadfood that Jane and Michael Stern have put out there. Those definitions are more guidelines then hard and fast rules. Their books are littered with suggestions that don't seem to fit those definitions.

Edit: I might add that there are many people who would think that the Turkish and Caribbean restaurants you added for Long Island don't qualify as Roadfood either. It's our broad view of Roadfood, particularly with respect to user-submitted reviews, that got those restaurants posted.
tonemonster2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 13:01:23 (permalink)
I work about a block from this location and I used to go there all the time. They have gone way down hill IMHO, especially for lunch. My last meal there was on Bastille Day. Never again. For 12 bucks the croque monsieur was two pieces of ham slapped between two huge pieces of bread and half fried. Frites soggy. Salad thrown together.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 13:25:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

If that's the case, you might as well throw all of the midwestern Steakhouses off the list too....

Don't be putting any ideas in peoples heads now.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 13:53:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle
Edit: I might add that there are many people who would think that the Turkish and Caribbean restaurants you added for Long Island don't qualify as Roadfood either. It's our broad view of Roadfood, particularly with respect to user-submitted reviews, that got those restaurants posted.

You have twice mentioned the Turkish and Caribbean places, but not once mentioned why they might not be considered Roadfood.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 14:17:50 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

You have twice mentioned the Turkish and Caribbean places, but not once mentioned why they might not be considered Roadfood.

I grew up on Long Island and visit frequently. I personally would not go out of my way to eat at a Turkish or Caribean place on Long Island-I don't find anything specifically indigenous or regional about it- but that's my opinion. On the other hand, I would consider (and will be actually in two weeks) a Middle Eastern (not specifically Turkish)
restaurant in Detroit due to the large middle eastern population there and would also consider a Caribbean Restaurant in South Florida too- but again- that's just me.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 14:21:33 (permalink)
If you're going to make price a consideration, then there is no roadfood on Manhattan at all.
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 14:29:33 (permalink)
Because many people think Roadfood is limited to food with a specific connection to the area. In other words, it's not enough for a place to be inexpensive, locally owned, and good. It also has to be something unique and special to its region. So what would qualify as Roadfood on Long Island, using that definition? I'm not sure, but it sure ain't Turkish or Caribbean food. I'm just saying - I don't particularly agree with that thinking (if I did I wouldn't have posted your reviews!).

We have these debates from time to time on Roadfood (is a great little Thai place in Wyoming Roadfood)? People have different views of what Roadfood means to them, and when they see evidence that their view isn't universal, they say the Roadfood concept is getting watered down.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 14:31:34 (permalink)
This site accomodates lots of different types of dining spots and all sorts of cuisines. I like that. Especially if your mate is not crazy about typical roadfood type joints.

The best part of this site IMHO is you can pick and choose what you are intersted in...there's something for everyone. And, because that's the case, we get some great posters who have varied knowledge. We can all learn from each other.

My favorite forum is actually the one that's non-food related.

Is that a hanger steak in the photo? Actually, it doesn't look like a great piece of meat to me I'm guessing it is because a NY Strip, which is what I'd love with those steak frites, would be very $$$$. Anyone know?

I have had a hanger steak once in Camden, Maine of all places. It was good, but I like the texture and taste of a NY strip best. This piece of meat in the photo didn't look like the hanger steak I had. Maybe they just cut it differently
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 14:33:29 (permalink)
If I can throw my two cents in here.

First, I think both reviews are well written and informative. When I travel I enjoy searching out good hot dogs, pizza, Q, etc. But mostly for lunch. Come dinner time I would like to find a unique place with regional or ethnic food prepared from fresh ingredients. I also like a good, scratch that, very good glass of wine. I'm glad that I can get recommendations for both types of places on one website. Man does not live by burgers alone.

And bring on the Turkish, Caribbean, Spanish or whatever. It's all good.
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:03:43 (permalink)
quote:

I just pulled the 2005 ed. of "Roadfood" off my bookshelf.
"With few exceptions, Roadfood is cheap. That's because it is the people's food. As much as we might appreciate a dress-up dinner cooked by a master chef who should rightfully be called a gastronomic artist, Roadfood is based on the proposition that America's truly great meals are sleeves-up fare, no reservations required."

But I don't think Les Halles is either. It's certainly not cheap, and since when does rustic French express the soul of Manhattan? (or Miami, or DC, two of its other locations).

For steak houses in DC it is very cheap.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:16:56 (permalink)
People who frequent this board, love appreciate, and experience casual & informal places all the time and share opinions, cute stories and fantastic dining experiences.

These same folks go on vacation, celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, go on dates, ect.

Would it be fair to tell anyone Yes, we want to hear every last detail about that hot dog, cole slaw and cup of coffee you enjoy.. BUT we do not want you to share your opinion and experiences, if you find yourself celebrating a special meal, out or away?

If someone is excited about going to Vegas, and wants to surprise the love of their life with a quiet romantic dinner for 2 shall they only be allowed to hear about the $.99 foot long hot dog or all you can eat buffet? No.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1565
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:17:19 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Aside from making making a big to do about nothing, don't you have anything else to interest you? Get back in the basement and organize your comic book collection.

GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:21:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps
Aside from making making a big to do about nothing, don't you have anything else to interest you? Get back in the basement and organize your comic book collection.

Hey! as a fan of comic books I resent that remark
I was at Les Halles a few years ago, it was pretty good, the fries were good, excellent even, but that is no reason for me to goto that place. I think people have a bias towards Les Halles because they have a stiffy for Bourdain and everything he does. Thats just my 2cents...
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:27:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

quote:

quote:

Soooo, your anti-Comic Book Collector. What makes you think we have to keep our collections in the basement? We came out of the basement a long time ago.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1860
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:30:10 (permalink)
Well. I know who to write out of my will for the comic books!

Kiss Ghostrider 2099 #1 Platinum edition GOODBYE, mister!

And by the way. Comic books are TOTALLY the roadfood of literature.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:35:28 (permalink)
NO Richie Rich comic books on Roadfood!!

He eats too well!!!
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2462
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:44:47 (permalink)
Hey Ben,

That is a hanger steak. I get it almost every time I go there and it has been excellent every, single, time. Without fail. My girlfriend and I go there every few months and we usually take out of town friends there. I don't go in for the drinks or dessert every time, so I usually end up making out for $20 or less for my meal.

I think WJ said it best: "Roadfood doesn't necessarily have to be regional or unique
but regional, indeginous or unique cuisine is almost always roadfood."

I think the ideal for Roadfood fits the description on the home page, but there definitely is room for exceptions that don't fit neatly into that box.

Originally posted by Baah Ben

This site accomodates lots of different types of dining spots and all sorts of cuisines. I like that. Especially if your mate is not crazy about typical roadfood type joints.

The best part of this site IMHO is you can pick and choose what you are intersted in...there's something for everyone. And, because that's the case, we get some great posters who have varied knowledge. We can all learn from each other.

My favorite forum is actually the one that's non-food related.

Is that a hanger steak in the photo? Actually, it doesn't look like a great piece of meat to me I'm guessing it is because a NY Strip, which is what I'd love with those steak frites, would be very $$$$. Anyone know?

I have had a hanger steak once in Camden, Maine of all places. It was good, but I like the texture and taste of a NY strip best. This piece of meat in the photo didn't look like the hanger steak I had. Maybe they just cut it differently
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 15:45:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

If you're going to make price a consideration, then there is no roadfood on Manhattan at all.

Just as an aside, while that is true as a generality, there are exceptions-- for example, you should check out FRIED DUMPLING on Allen Street just south of Delancey. 5 dumplings for $1, a slice of sesame pancake the size of a large slice of pizza for 75 cents and an egg roll for 50 cents. A huge, hot, delicious meal for $2.25. And the place is dinky and filthy enough to qualify as "real" Roadfood.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 16:36:51 (permalink)
If I were to travel to NYC, I would come to Roadfood and look for places to eat. Taking into account that my traveling companions might not want to search out every blintz and bialy and felafel sandwich, I do think that having a review of Les Halles that mentions it is bot excellent AND informal would make a difference to me.

So... does the usefulness of the review trump the possibility that it might not be roadfood? Or does the fact that I had to travel to NYC make it roadfood?

I don't know, actually. But I am definitely glad that the place got reviewed and posted somewhere I could see it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/20 16:41:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

Hey Ben,

I think WJ said it best: "Roadfood doesn't necessarily have to be regional or unique
but regional, indeginous or unique cuisine is almost always roadfood."

Actually, you can thank The Travelin Man for that quote- I'm just requoting him.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6526
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/21 13:22:56 (permalink)
I just looked at the various reviews for the places listed above. I know each and every person has their own idea of what roadfood is, and those definitions do vary.

I view NYC as a melting pot of cuisines. NYC is a place you can experience many cultures within the same block. Many of these places are run by hard workin, sleeves up folk who want to offer a taste of their homeland to the world.

So to me many of these places could be considered RF. I think NYNM has a very interesting thread about the diverisity of NYC, and then even only a small 3 block section.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29594

Here in the midwest a rustic french, turkish, caribean are out of place. However in NYC these places fit right in with the neighborhood.

So they would be distinct to the "region"/neighborhood, why shouldn't they be considered RF?

Les Halles, Turkish or Caribean located in NYC to me would be considered RF distinct to the "region".

Just my opinion
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 00:12:34 (permalink)
Well said, O King of the Cajuns!

Scott_R - You seem to take things too literally and with an ever so small chip on your shoulder. Maybe it's a NY thing????
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 03:24:53 (permalink)
Don't go dragging the whole state of NY into this one, just because this character lives here.

Leave NJ alone, too.

There are VERY reasonable people who get dragged into the net of generalization & stereotypes just because they live in this area.

Go pick at some other states, for a change. Or, none at all.

If/when most other people say something that makes little sense and/or displays vast ignorance (from other parts of the country or world) it is never an automatic attack on or about their geographical location.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1