LockedLes Halles????

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 08:23:22 (permalink)
It's sad that some people here are immature enough to turn a discussion about a particular restaurant and "what is roadfood" into an ad hominem attack. I disagreed with positions, but never belittled anyone. Too bad some others were too petty to do the same.
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 08:37:22 (permalink)
Anthony Bourdain's "Les Halles" cookbook is the only cookbook I own, or know of, that drops the "F-Bomb" in a recipe.

I think that right there makes it roadfood.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 10:32:57 (permalink)
I visited the Washington, DC outpost of Les Halles some time ago, and had the "Choucroute Garnie," which consisted of smoked pork loin, white veal sausage, smoked pork breast, a frankfurter, boiled potatoes, and sauerkraut slow cooked in Alsatian beer and wine, with a glass of Merlot. Fabulous.

As for whether it qualifies as Roadfood, I wonder if the fact that the New York outlet is associated with Anthony Boudrain has something to do with its inclusion here. Perhaps the involvement of such a talented chef justifies its inclusion.

I don't think that high cost should disqualify a place from Roadfood consideration. Several posters have already pointed out that the Sterns' definition of "Roadfood" states that it is ALMOST always informal and inexpensive. There are a number of places around DC that serve excellent local crabcakes and seafood that are expensive (like Crisfield's, which is reviewed by the Sterns, and Jerry's Seafood in Seabrook, MD), yet I would contend that they are "Roadfood"-type places because they are locally-owned and operated and serve food that is regional in nature.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7681
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 10:41:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

I would contend that they are "Roadfood"-type places because they are locally-owned and operated and serve food that is regional in nature.

You hit the nail right on the head
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 17:27:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

As for whether it qualifies as Roadfood, I wonder if the fact that the New York outlet is associated with Anthony Boudrain has something to do with its inclusion here. Perhaps the involvement of such a talented chef justifies its inclusion.

In what manner is Anthony Bourdain involved with the restaurant Les Halles?
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2392
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 17:36:31 (permalink)
He was the Executive Chef at the Park Avenue location for a number of years, but has had little, if nothing to do with the day-to-day since Kitchen Confidential took off, if memory serves me correctly.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 17:41:24 (permalink)
He was the Executice Chef of Les Halles (Park Ave. NYC) for many years. Anthony is currently a "Chef-at-Large" (currently not in active practice of running the daily operations of the restaurant) at Les Halles. An honorary title, and continues a business relationship with Les Halles.
JoeEats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 18:00:52 (permalink)
Scott, this may not be the ad hominem attack you say you received. But, your criticism started out as particularly vitriolic and stayed that way. Three question marks and three exclamation points were a little much. It is food after all.
quote:
Originally posted by Scott_R

re: Les Halles - New York, NY
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4207

Les Halles as *Roadfood*??? You've got to be kidding me!!! "Yes, I'll have the Coq au Vin for $21.50. No, make it the Confit de canard with pommes salardaise for $16.00."

Whatever happened to Roadfood being "sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive"????
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Les Halles???? 2008/08/22 18:29:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JoeEats

Scott, this may not be the ad hominem attack you say you received. But, your criticism started out as particularly vitriolic and stayed that way. Three question marks and three exclamation points were a little much. It is food after all.

You're joking, I hope. "Vitriolic"? I spoke about a restaurant, not about a person. "Three question marks and three exclamation points" makes something vitriolic? I in no way even disparaged the restaurant--the entire content of my objections was, "it's not road food."

Show me any statement I made that could reasonably, objectively, be considered "particularly vitriolic."

And even so, I'm floored by the irony of your last statement. Yes, it is food, after all. And I was discussing *food*, not attacking people. No matter how strong my feelings about whether Les Halles might (or might not) have been, attacks on me as an individual were not called for. If someone can't argue the point, factually and logically, they shouldn't join in the discussion. Attacking a party to the discussion doesn't address the issue raised.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before someone invokes Godwin's Law.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1