The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Les Halles????

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 69
Scott_R

• Total Posts: 127
Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:29 AM (permalink)
re: Les Halles - New York, NY
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4207

Les Halles as *Roadfood*??? You've got to be kidding me!!! "Yes, I'll have the Coq au Vin for $21.50. No, make it the Confit de canard with pommes salardaise for $16.00."

Whatever happened to Roadfood being "sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive"????

mttbrn

• Total Posts: 9
    RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:39 AM (permalink)
    AGREED!

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
      RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:45 AM (permalink)
      "The page cannot be found"

Edit - page back up

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
        RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:48 AM (permalink)
        "it may not be true Roadfood, but Les Halles is definitely worthy of a visit if you want good French home-cooking at a reasonable price."

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7381
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:50 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Scott_R

<http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4207>

Les Halles as *Roadfood*??? You've got to be kidding me!!! "Yes, I'll have the Coq au Vin for $21.50. No, make it the Confit de canard with pommes salardaise for $16.00."

Whatever happened to Roadfood being "sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive"????

The key is "almost always informal and inespensive"
          You've never been to Joe's Stone Crabs in Miami? Maitre D's and linen cloth tables at $100 a pop. Is it roadfood- absolutely! The Stern's coined the definition of roadfood and if they say it's roadfood then it is.

Scott_R

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:52 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by GNeedles59

"it may not be true Roadfood, but Les Halles is definitely worthy of a visit if you want good French home-cooking at a reasonable price."

"May not be?" It isn't at all. You left out the sentence immediately preceding: "It's very possible for two people to eat here for well under a hundred dollars." Is this a simple restaurant review site, or are the listings for roadfood?

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
              RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:52 AM (permalink)
              It said "almost always." No one is forcing you to open your wallet and go.

WarToad

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:53 AM (permalink)
                Roadfood to me. Love french country. Simple food, cooked well.

Scott_R

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 9:54 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by wanderingjew
                  You've never been to Joe's Stone Crabs in Miami? Maitre D's and linen cloth tables at $100 a pop. Is it roadfood- absolutely! The Stern's coined the definition of roadfood and if they say it's roadfood then it is.

I don't see a listing for Joe's in the Restaurants section for Florida.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                    RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
                    Looks damn decient to me.
                    Great looking piece of fish there and at a resonable price.
                    I'd visit there in a NY minute. Chow Jim

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:11 AM (permalink)
                      quote:

quote:

I don't see a listing for Joe's in the Restaurants section for Florida.

They've been in just about all of the Stern's Roadfood books.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                        RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:22 AM (permalink)
                        You got Luger's and Wolfgangs on here as well, much more expensive than Les Halles. Are they Roadfood?

Hell, half the stuff on on here from NYC is ridiculously expensive due to the location. Go to Barney Greengrass, or Murray's and get some lox for 35 bucks a pound...

I agree, Les Halles is roadfood. Simple preparation of quality rustic food.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:28 AM (permalink)
                          Here is my review of the Fort in Morrison CO
                          [url]www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=5843[/url]

Is it roadfood?? Definetely- This place has also been in several of the Stern's Roadfood books.

Roadfood is not just dives, greasy spoons diners and shacks. Anything that is "regional" or "unique" to a region city or state can be considered roadfood too like I've said hundreds of times before.

Scott_R

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

Is it roadfood?? Definetely- This place has also been in several of the Stern's Roadfood books.

Roadfood is not just dives, greasy spoons diners and shacks. Anything that is "regional" or "unique" to a region city or state can be considered roadfood too like I've said hundreds of times before.

A rustic French restaurant is unique to New York City?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:37 AM (permalink)
                              quote:

quote:

Could be? have you ever been to a "rustic" French Restaurant before? I know I haven't.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                Want good French food, prepared by real French people?

Try ---La Cote Basque--- in Gulfport,(St Petersburg) Florida.
                                Husband and wife run the place, she is the daughter of original owners-
                                good food and 2nd entree @ 1/2 price which makes dinner cheap.

A little more wine, my darling ????

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                                  RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:

quote:

Hot dog joints are not unique to NJ, but we still love posting/debating/recommending them...

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by GNeedles59

quote:

quote:

Hot dog joints are not unique to NJ, but we still love posting/debating/recommending them...

Roadfood doesn't necessarily have to be regional or unique
                                    but regional, indeginous or unique cuisine is almost always roadfood.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                      Scott_R, I'm kind of surprised with the position you're taking here, since you've taken a rather broad view of Roadfood in the past with your reviews of a Turkish and a Caribbean restaurant on Long Island.

Scott_R

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                        The Turkish: where you can get a gyro kebab sandwich on home made bread for $7, or a pide for a couple dollars more. Dinner for two for under $20.
                                        The Caribbean: big plate of oxtail, or cod & ackee, all with cabbage, rice & beans, and fried plantain for about $7-$8, Dinner for two, easily under $15.

You see this as comparable to Côte de Porc grillée, sauce moutarde for $20.50, Filet de boeuf béarnaise, $28.50, Pavé de Thon Grillé, sauce Vierge at $22.5?

In what way is my incredulity at Les Halles being "Roadfood" inconsistent with my assertion that a hole-in-the-wall Caribbean place and a converted pizza joint that now serves Turkish are?

There are a lot of places I go to that I would never have considered for inclusion, based on what the homepage describes as roadfood. Maybe the description of "Roadfood" there needs to be changed to "places we like a lot."

(renfrew: I always give a snort of laughter when I see Luger's on the list)

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                          So your issue is just price?

Scott_R

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                            I just pulled the 2005 ed. of "Roadfood" off my bookshelf.
                                            "With few exceptions, Roadfood is cheap. That's because it is the people's food. As much as we might appreciate a dress-up dinner cooked by a master chef who should rightfully be called a gastronomic artist, Roadfood is based on the proposition that America's truly great meals are sleeves-up fare, no reservations required."

If we want to reduce things to the absolute minimum described by the book, we have to pull 90% of the listings, as they hardly would be indigenous to a particular region. Les Halles can hardly be described as "express[ing] the soul of [its] region or neighborhood, primarily by serving wonderful food you won't find elsewhere." But then again, there are few places that fit both (cheap/sleeves-up and expressing the soul of the region/neighborhood).

But I don't think Les Halles is either. It's certainly not cheap, and since when does rustic French express the soul of Manhattan? (or Miami, or DC, two of its other locations).

Scott_R

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                              Price is a biggie. I can't reconcile dropping $100 for dinner for two with the word "Roadfood."

OK, that's with drinks. But $50, if you're careful? I think the definition of Roadfood is slipping.

WarToad

RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                So I ate at

http://goodfoodnicedrinks.com/ten/?page_id=5

last night for my birthday.

Little hole in the wall place in downtown (ie: all three blocks) of Minot, North Dakota. (helooOOoo flatlands USA) Had the Elk loin. $26. Roadfood? Local wild game, simply grilled, mashed potatos and veggies on the side. Straight forward plate dinner. Classic midwest wild game dinner. Simply cooked, and cooked perfectly.

Does price then exclude what can be roadfood?

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                                  RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                                  He better not come up this way to visit a clam shack to sit at a picnick table eat with your fingers type joint.
                                                  He will be clutching his chest saying look out Alice I'm comming.
                                                  Chow Jim

Scott_R

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by WarToad

So I ate at

http://goodfoodnicedrinks.com/ten/?page_id=5

last night for my birthday.

Little hole in the wall place in downtown (ie: all three blocks) of Minot, North Dakota. (helooOOoo flatlands USA) Had the Elk loin. $26. Roadfood? Local wild game, simply grilled, mashed potatos and veggies on the side. Straight forward plate dinner. Classic midwest wild game dinner. Simply cooked, and cooked perfectly.

Does price then exclude what can be roadfood?

By the definitions given on the Roadfood homepage, and in the books, yes--or, at least, greatly restricting it. Even beyond that, I think there's something implicit in the very word, roadfood, that seems to compel the interpretation. 10 Main North may have really good food, but why call it roadfood?

• Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      It's all a matter of perspective. To me, there are few cuisines more emblematic of New York City than French; country French in particular.

Scott_R

• Location: Massapequa, NY
                                                        RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Jimeats

He better not come up this way to visit a clam shack to sit at a picnick table eat with your fingers type joint.
                                                        He will be clutching his chest saying look out Alice I'm comming.
                                                        Chow Jim

"He" who? Who are you talking to?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4207

Of course it's roadfood.

Scott_R

• Location: Massapequa, NY
                                                            RE: Les Halles???? Wed, 08/20/08 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

It's all a matter of perspective. To me, there are few cuisines more emblematic of New York City than French; country French in particular.

But wanderingjew wrote: "Could be? have you ever been to a "rustic" French Restaurant before? I know I haven't," which I took to mean it's not something you can readily find in NYC. So, is it emblematic, or unexpected?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 69

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com