Lettuce - Fine or Leafy?

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2007/03/06 01:54:30 (permalink)

Lettuce - Fine or Leafy?

I remember back in the day they used to lay down a leafy lettuce on your sub or burger. More and more I'm seeing this fine, run thru a food processor type texture (picture example below). Personally, the fine cut is good for a taco or burrito, but otherwise I feel it creates more of a mess when incorporated into a sub or burger....

Pic stolen from: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4095

18 Replies Related Threads

markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 03:30:45 (permalink)
    When I owned my Seven Eleven I was involved in a study to determine what type of lettuce people preferred on their subs. In speaking to 500 people in New England the majority liked green leaf lettuce on their sandwiches. This was a taste test and the people tried sandwiches made different ways. We always cut fresh lettuce on our meat slicer and shredded it.
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 06:28:43 (permalink)

You are right. The distinctions go farther than that. It needs to be a whole piece of -leaf- not iceberg lettuce for a great sandwich. The reason for using a whole leaf is so the juices of whatever you are eating does not permeate into the bread below and make it too soggy to hold. That is my opinion.
    Iceberg is fine for the basic salad of a Roadfood caliber. None of those fancy mixed greens that even granny never forced you to eat as a kid... Iceberg is great for shredding, but I do not like iceberg leafs as a base for a sandwich.

mark
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 06:34:58 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    On sandwiches, I like leafy, but on subs I like shredded.
    The only problem with shredded lettuce is I'm not sure
    of the quality of the lettuce. I prefer the green part
    of lettuce, while they seem to shred the head of lettuce
    when it is half used and mostly white. I sound picky...
    yeah, even to myself, but I like green lettuce.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8656
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 07:15:33 (permalink)
    I like shredded lettuce on commercially made sandwiches-dont have any particular reason.At home,I like whole leaves of romaine.Go figure!!!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 07:23:17 (permalink)
    I can't remember ever having a hoagie with anything but shredded lettuce
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 09:00:58 (permalink)
    For most sandwiches that one would dress with a combination of mayo/mustard, I like nice leafy green lettuce, however, for sub/hoagie type sandwiches, dressed with oil/vinegar, I like shredded lettuce, to sop up and hold the dressing. I would prefer that it be a rich green lettuce, as well, but most of the time it is shredded white inner leaves of iceburg, which is adequate.

When I was growing up in NJ, halfway between NYC and Philly, most of the local mom and pop Italian deli hoagies had shredded "green" lettuce, whether it was romaine or iceburg, that included rich outer greens, and those hoagies were to die for. I think it was the quality of the meats and cheeses and the oil and vinegar dressing that clung to the shredded lettuce. Yummm.... a taste I will never forget.

Haven't had a great hoagie in years, except at home. Sigh.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 09:42:33 (permalink)
    I've always thought that shredded lettuce was a convenience/economy factor for high-volume sandwich shops. It employs cheap iceberg, uses the white stems people would otherwise consider poor quality, and is quick and easy to handle in a sandwich line. It also seems that in some areas it has an "eating out" image.

I recall travelling in Eastern PA some years ago when I had to provision lunch for my co-workers. After a week, a couple of them said if they had to eat another sandwich with chopped lettuce, I was going to be in big trouble. I asked at the hotel and a couple of sandwich places and they couldn't understand how I would want to buy a sandwich with plain lettuce. After all, you can make that at home. I finally had to get sandwiches without lettuce and go to a supermarket, buy a head of green leaf and some paper towels and ziplocks, and prep leaves in the bathroom.

IMO chopped is fine for a sub shop or tacos. For a good club sandwich, a burger, or any other sandwich I can think of, it better be a nice leaf lettuce.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 10:08:01 (permalink)
    I always ask for no lettuce (or tomato either) on my sandwich of any kind. I feel that lettuce has too strong of a taste that takes away from the other ingedients.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 10:15:16 (permalink)
    There is one variant I haven't had in a while, but really liked. At one deli I used to frequent they would take leaf lettuce, tomatos, and any other veggies and chop them coarsely together before sitting them on top of cold cuts and cheese and sprinkling with oil and vinegar for an Italian sub. It was kind of like a chopped salad mixing with the sandwich ingredients and it worked for me.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 19:50:43 (permalink)
    I definately like my lettuce shredded and I have discovered mayo with pepper added (lotsa pepper). Adds great flavor to all my sandwiches.

I hate to say this but KFC is offering that condiment and I really like it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18862
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 21:09:36 (permalink)
    I grew up eating subs that had no lettuce, and certainly no tomato. They just had the meats, cheese, perhaps roasted peppers, onions, olives, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. That's the way they came in any store I ever knew of. That's how I make them to this day. And that's why I see no reason to buy what they call subs today.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 21:24:02 (permalink)
    Lettuce -- Only multiple multitudes of crisp full leaves for me; devoid of all rust spots and similar "thick & chunky" sections. Thanks!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 22:01:35 (permalink)
    If I am going to have lettuce on a sandwich, I want one crisp dark green leaf of lettuce; that shredded stuff reminds me of cheap chain sandwiches.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/06 23:13:02 (permalink)
    As long as its crisp, I dont care either way.
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/07 00:13:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

You are right. The distinctions go farther than that. It needs to be a whole piece of -leaf- not iceberg lettuce for a great sandwich. The reason for using a whole leaf is so the juices of whatever you are eating does not permeate into the bread below and make it too soggy to hold. That is my opinion.
    Iceberg is fine for the basic salad of a Roadfood caliber. None of those fancy mixed greens that even granny never forced you to eat as a kid... Iceberg is great for shredding, but I do not like iceberg leafs as a base for a sandwich.

mark

I like the crunch of shredded iceberg lettuce as topping on subs/grinders, but you've made a good point that using whole leaf lettuce is better for the construction of the sandwich. All-in-all, as long as the lettuce is fresh and crisp, it doesn't make too much of a difference taste-wise to me.
    mr. sausage
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/07 03:12:32 (permalink)
    olives and roasted peppers? sounds fancy. where'd you grow up?
    by the way, you can order subs without lettuce and tomato. really
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I grew up eating subs that had no lettuce, and certainly no tomato. They just had the meats, cheese, perhaps roasted peppers, onions, olives, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. That's the way they came in any store I ever knew of. That's how I make them to this day. And that's why I see no reason to buy what they call subs today.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18862
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/03/07 10:49:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr. sausage

olives and roasted peppers? sounds fancy. where'd you grow up?
    by the way, you can order subs without lettuce and tomato. really.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

New Haven, Hamden, Bethany, Orange and Milford, Connecticut.
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Lettuce - Fine or Leafy? 2007/06/10 23:41:45 (permalink)
    ive worked in the business for many years and i would shred the lettuce but i blend different kinds even use cabbage its all shreeded together and mixed some subs id use a little carrot how bout shre the onion you could take it verry far im not saying that im the only one that came up with my style but im the only one i know of in my area.....
    try it and see what you can come up with and let is know.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1