The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

"Levittown on a bun"

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
"Levittown on a bun" Sat, 01/17/04 1:31 AM (permalink)
Good line, Jane. Always a pleasure to see the Sterns appear on documentaries.

Incidentally, were McDonald's burgers ever good? Not just "good in a pinch", but genuinely GOOD...perhaps even roadfood-worthy?

The burgers certainly LOOKED better before Mr. Kroc entered the picture, but I'm far too young to have tasted the real deal.

Anyone?

P.j.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: "Levittown on a bun" Sat, 01/17/04 1:35 AM (permalink)
    I was just becoming a teenager in the Inland Empire then (1955), so my judgement would be clouded by the economics of 15 cent burgers in the eyes of a 13 yr old... They were just dandy !!

Sundancer7

RE: "Levittown on a bun" Sat, 01/17/04 6:16 AM (permalink)
      McDonalds first came to Knoxville in 1960. Since fast food was virtually unknown except for the Blue Circle, I that Mcdonalds were better than wonderful. I could not get enough. The burgers were bigger then and the prices were less. The fries were so good, I would often order a double by themselves. The menu was much much smaller.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
        RE: "Levittown on a bun" Mon, 01/19/04 11:32 AM (permalink)
        Did they used to be good? You bet, I was in high school in Indiana in the late fifties. The burgers were good (and real), the fries were to die for, and the shakes real tasty. Nothing like now, when everything at Micky D's tastes like cardborad!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
          RE: "Levittown on a bun" Mon, 01/19/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
          When I was in high school, a Filet-O-Fish and a seven up could be yours for about a dollar. That was my favorite lunch my junior year.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
            RE: "Levittown on a bun" Mon, 01/19/04 11:40 AM (permalink)
            IMHO, they were always "OK," but never better than the corner grills around town. But, when Burger King opened nearby, that was the fast food revolution. Now I didn't have to scrape the onions and mustard off the burger anymore, I could have it "my way." I don't recall McD's being any better in the old days. I liked BK's char-broiled flavor better. But I have avoided fast-food places for the past 20 years unless an emergency.

fdm813

• Total Posts: 114
              RE: "Levittown on a bun" Mon, 01/19/04 12:17 PM (permalink)
              First visit to a McDonalds was 1964, Tampa Fla. Because there was nothing else like it, I thought it was very good. Really liked the fries. But was surprised when they only offered ketchup for the frys in what was called a "dunk cup", cost 3 cents. No little packets.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                RE: "Levittown on a bun" Tue, 01/20/04 11:10 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Penoose

Good line, Jane. Always a pleasure to see the Sterns appear on documentaries.

Penoose, Can you expand on the appearance you are referring to? A documentary film? A TV production? Something new?

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
                  RE: "Levittown on a bun" Thu, 01/22/04 7:15 PM (permalink)
                  >>Penoose, Can you expand on the appearance you are referring to? A documentary film? A TV production? Something new?<<

I've seen the Sterns (Michael,especially) appear in a number of documentaries. The aforementioned line was uttered by Jane on David Halberstam's "The Fifties" (in reference to McDonald's burgers).

Pretty solid documentary a whole, although far too much attention was paid to Elvis at the expense of other more seminal artists. Certainly, the king's impact on popular culture cannot be overstated, but I would have liked to see at least a cursory look at Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Sun Records, Chess Records, etc.

P.j.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                    RE: "Levittown on a bun" Thu, 01/22/04 7:34 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Penoose

>>Penoose, Can you expand on the appearance you are referring to? A documentary film? A TV production? Something new?<<

I've seen the Sterns (Michael,especially) appear in a number of documentaries. The aforementioned line was uttered by Jane on David Halberstam's "The Fifties" (in reference to McDonald's burgers).

Pretty solid documentary a whole, although far too much attention was paid to Elvis at the expense of other more seminal artists. Certainly, the king's impact on popular culture cannot be overstated, but I would have liked to see at least a cursory look at Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Sun Records, Chess Records, etc.

P.j.

Thanks for answering my query. I read the book, The Fifites, in 1998 and thorougly enjoyed it. I didn't know it had been made into a documentary film. Thought I have 4 of the Stern's books and have read a few others, I've never seen them in film or TV. I just wound up with a nice guide by them given to subscribers of Gourmet magazine.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com