Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There.

Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1352
2014/05/21 12:55:46 (permalink)

Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There.

WSJ article about the politics of customers who shop and eat at different places.  Not earth-shattering, but kind of fun to check out.

http://blogs.wsj.com/wash...nservatives-eat-there/

22 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 14:05:23 (permalink)
    Independents eat at Burger King? Hmmmm.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1016
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 14:37:14 (permalink)
    The disclaimer at the beginning of the article seems really important, especially for the grocery stores.  Many of the grocery chains are located in limited regions.  I couldn't go to a Piggly Wiggly, Bi-Lo, Kroger or  Ralph's (to name a few)  in Minnesota even if I wanted to (and I did used to enjoy shopping at Piggly Wiggly in the Carolinas many years ago, and always go to Kroger when I am in Kentucky).  The regional distribution of these businesses necessarily means that people in red or blue states may not have the choice of eating or shopping at some of these places.

I thought it was interesting that Olive Garden, of all places, was almost evenly split liberal/conseratives.  Proving, I guess, that bad taste knows no political boundaries.

WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 15:00:19 (permalink)
    rumaki
    I thought it was interesting that Olive Garden, of all places, was almost evenly split liberal/conseratives.  Proving, I guess, that bad taste knows no political boundaries. 

LOL!!  I've been roped into Olive Garden twice in two years now.  I just dread going there.  Once was for business and I couldn't get out, the second was elderly family who wanted to meet there.  Ah well.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4005
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 18:46:51 (permalink)
    I guess it depends on where the establishment is located.  The clientele of the many Whole Foods in the Metroplex are overwhelmingly conservative; they are, however, liberal with their own money.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 19:06:03 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    I guess it depends on where the establishment is located.  The clientele of the many Whole Foods in the Metroplex are overwhelmingly conservative; they are, however, liberal with their own money.

The article states that it is the Liberals who shop at Whole Foods, (And Trader Joe's), not the Conservatives
    Could it be a case of Conservatives posing as Liberals for devious reasons????????
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3448
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 19:22:23 (permalink)
    You know what leaps out at me from that list? Not liberal vs. conservative. Money vs. no money. People with money, regardless of their political persuasion, tend to shop at/eat at high-end places. People with no money, regardless of their political persuasion, tend to gravitate toward cheaper places. The ones that are about evenly split for the most part are about in the middle of the price range. What's even funnier is the ones that are expensive chain places for no good reason, like P.F. Chang's. Conservatives don't go there because they know it's crap, while liberals go there to treat themselves.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2014/05/21 19:24:08
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 19:33:23 (permalink)
    WarToad
    rumaki

LOL!!  I've been roped into Olive Garden twice in two years now.  I just dread going there.  Once was for business and I couldn't get out, the second was elderly family who wanted to meet there.  Ah well.

I've seen many Roadfooders on here bashing Olive Garden &  it's sister company Red Lobster. My Bride likes both of them so we go there. EVERY TIME we've been there the places are full and people are waiting to get in. OG also does a big carry out business. If they're so bad, how do you explain their popularity??????????
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/05/21 19:54:28
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 19:42:38 (permalink)
    Once again, the Libertarians get hosed!

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 19:44:33 (permalink)
    I think that Olive Garden is popular because many people feel safe eating with the masses and that they do not really understand or know good Italian food. The blah bread sticks and their very average "all you can eat salad" makes it very appealing to many.

As to Red Lobster,  I have no idea.  I can get absolutely wonderful seafood at great seafood restaurants for just a couple of dollars more......................must be their biscuits that gets all of their customers coming back for more!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 20:23:08 (permalink)
    Around here, Red Lobster is popular because it is easily half the price of good seafood. When you live somewhere fish has to be shipped in daily, paying $100+ for two people for a seafood dinner (not including drinks) is not uncommon. Go to Red Lobster instead, and you can feed four people with drinks for the same amount. Is it as good? Absolutely not. Is it affordable? Absolutely.
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 20:34:08 (permalink)
    I suspect the same is true of many chains. I live in a university town where there really is only a handful of independent restaurants and really no roadfood options that I know of. Due to physical limitations, I can not drive safely in nearby big cities where there may be absolutely terrific restaurants. So I settle for a chain that tastes good to me on the few occasions, I eat out. My trouble is I eat out so seldom that I have trouble remembering the chains which are truly crummy. So unless the food made me ill, I sometimes find myself back where I don't want to be. If someone else is driving and I can afford it, YOU BET I'm willing to go to a good place. Another problem is that there are so many yummy foods I just can not eat anymore. I just love this website and you all's postings because I can live and eat vicariously all I want.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/21 21:26:43 (permalink)
    felix4067

Around here, Red Lobster is popular because it is easily half the price of good seafood. When you live somewhere fish has to be shipped in daily, paying $100+ for two people for a seafood dinner (not including drinks) is not uncommon. Go to Red Lobster instead, and you can feed four people with drinks for the same amount. Is it as good? Absolutely not. Is it affordable? Absolutely.

My problem (and it's been a good 5 years or more since I've been to a Red Lobster) is the screaming, running around children that made me vow to never go back. Let's face it, anyone can steam a lobster and melt some butter. You go out to have good food and be pampered. Maybe I'm just very unlucky but I never felt pampered at RL. I ate once at Olive Garden and felt my food was similar to Sysco products. We have a local restaurant, That's Amore, run by the son of a now closed white linen Italian restaurant, Antonnino's (he retired). The son saw how busy Olive Garden was so he matched the breadstick AYCE salad bowl idea but serves real Italian dishes made from scratch. Most nights you must wait for a table.
    Turtle66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 03:16:30 (permalink)
    Greymo

I think that Olive Garden is popular because many people feel safe eating with the masses and that they do not really understand or know good Italian food. The blah bread sticks and their very average "all you can eat salad" makes it very appealing to many.

As to Red Lobster,  I have no idea.  I can get absolutely wonderful seafood at great seafood restaurants for just a couple of dollars more......................must be their biscuits that gets all of their customers coming back for more!

I second what Greymo said.............
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 10:52:53 (permalink)
    joerogo

Once again, the Libertarians get hosed!

No, we just do what we want so long as it does not harm others with the same inalienable rights as we.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1588
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 10:55:37 (permalink)
    Reminds me of the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where The Jewish Deli opened across the street from the Palestinian Chicken Place and Larry David and his pals were torn about which place to go to since the food was so good at the Palestinian Chicken Place.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 12:42:22 (permalink)
    Turtle66

Greymo

Both of you live in coastal states...getting seafood for an affordable price is a lot easier for you.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 14:36:43 (permalink)
    felix4067
    Turtle66
    Greymo

Both of you live in coastal states...getting seafood for an affordable price is a lot easier for you.

While you are correct, I've noticed that good seafood has become more readily available in "Inner America" IF you're willing to pay for it.
    Flash Freezing technology has made it possible. Not as good as fresh but acceptable.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 14:50:39 (permalink)
    Foodbme

felix4067
    Turtle66
    Greymo

While you are correct, I've noticed that good seafood has become more readily available in "Inner America" IF you're willing to pay for it.
    Flash Freezing technology has made it possible. Not as good as fresh but acceptable.

Thus why I said, "affordable". I can afford to spring $20-ish for a meal at Red Lobster. Not so much the $50+ it would cost at the good seafood place.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 15:29:16 (permalink)
    Re: Red Lobster. I've tried 3 seafood chain places: Red Lobster, Bonefish Grill, and Legal Seafood (from least expensive to most expensive). Other than the clam chowder, I was singularly unimpressed by Legal Seafood. Bonefish Grill is not much more expensive than Red Lobster, but a LOT better. I have found that, when I am taken to Red Lobster,  the trick to ordering is to get whatever the catch of the day is, and have it as plain as possible (on the wood grilled menu, you ask for it "naked"; not a listed option, but it means no added seasoning). You will get a decent piece of fish at a decent price (well, if you have a coupon). The all-you-can eat shrimp specials used to be a decent buy too; it's kind of hard for a cook by the numbers chain-type place to ruin shrimp.

Bart
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/23 19:10:00 (permalink)
    bartl

The all-you-can eat shrimp specials used to be a decent buy too; it's kind of hard for a cook by the numbers chain-type place to ruin shrimp.

True, if you like 40 count shrimp.  
    (I would have to wear my reading glasses to see the little ba$tards!)
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/25 13:52:52 (permalink)
    OFF TOPIC

MetroplexJim
    True, if you like 40 count shrimp.  
    (I would have to wear my reading glasses to see the little ba$tards!)

I used to keep a bag of frozen cooked salad shrimp (100-150 count) in my freezer; made a very nice garnish.

Bart
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Liberals Eat Here. Conservatives Eat There. 2014/05/25 14:50:04 (permalink)
    What jumped out at me, one of the more liberal chain restaurants is Ruth Chris Steak House - a long time advertiser on The Rush Limbaugh Show.  From his testimonials on air, it always seemed like El Rushbo was packing away the cholesterol there pretty regularly himself.  So much for the power of advertising.

This list also seems to shatter the stereotype of liberals eating healthy and organic.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1