Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md.

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5463
2009/06/28 23:38:44 (permalink)

Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md.

Has anyone eaten here in the last 6 months? My oldest wants to go here for her 30th b'day. Of course I'll be expected to pay. About 50 bucks per person for AYCE crab legs.

thanks,

13 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/29 08:10:03 (permalink)

Mike: I just sent you a PM re this place which I both
    love and was just there this past winter.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10384
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/29 09:34:18 (permalink)
    MikeS.-
    If you go, please report back how it was.  I am always looking for a good place between Pittsburgh and Baltimore/DC.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/29 09:46:06 (permalink)
    Mike, I know this might be off in left field but here's a thought.  You didnt mention the type of crab legs affered there but I would hope that at that price it might be King Crab as well.

Here in the Dayton area there is a chain of Chinese Buffet(tm).  Not only do they offer the basic steamed snow crab but they have "Vancouver" crab as well.  Thats sections of dungeness crab that have been woked in a hot pepper oil that are sweet, spicy and awesome.  That along with the 80+ other hot and cold land and sea iteams cant be beat for under 12 bux a head/adult.
    One thing I have learned at the chinese buffets.  it seem that at times the crab legs have a reaaly salty/fishy flavor.  Some of the cheaper joints are always this was while others are occassional.  It has even been present in the "Vancouver" at times as well.  Im wondering if its only lower grade commercial product or even worse, impropper handling.

I just had to mention it as the 1st time i tried the dungeness type, they were so awesome I dreamed about them!
    britt

eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/29 14:57:52 (permalink)
    If you haven't already seen it, the website is linked below.

It's been over six months since I've been (went pre-Maryland smoking ban) but it was good then.  We had entrees as I had an Entertainment Book coupon and that excluded AYCE meals.

Everytime I pass it there are lots of cars there so you can be pretty certain it's not just a mass of fried mediocrity. 

The service was quick and attentive, and the platters of AYCE seafoods I saw all looked good, fresh and hot.

Went before  Frederick Keys game and would return to Liberty Road Seafood without hesitation, with or without a game.

http://www.libertyroadseafood.com/
    brittneal
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/29 15:26:55 (permalink)
    Am I reading it wrong?  Do you only get a specific entre' for the AYCE?  All those nice choices would be great at once.  I gather they might be afraid of waste.
    It would be great if they offered the steamers, oysters, shrimp, whole crabs and legs all as an option.
    Im afraid id be frustrated by the choice.
    britt
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/29 15:38:29 (permalink)
    brittneal
    Am I reading it wrong?  Do you only get a specific entre' for the AYCE?  All those nice choices would be great at once.  I gather they might be afraid of waste.
    It would be great if they offered the steamers, oysters, shrimp, whole crabs and legs all as an option.
    Im afraid id be frustrated by the choice.
    britt
    You get any AYCE that costs less than what you order.  If you order the $47 crab legs, you can get anything listed above it on the AYCE menu.

"*All You Can Eat Special includes the item you choose and everything listed above that item. NO FOOD SHARING."

E

post edited by eruby - 2009/06/29 15:40:16
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/30 00:05:23 (permalink)
    Thanks people.
    brittneal
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/06/30 02:47:50 (permalink)
    Whel Id start at the hardshell crabs and work all the seafood back!  Its a shame they cant have any place where you could get a real live crab feast in the Dayton area.  I was in the the VA Domicillary for a few weeks to rest up after my 1st major heart attack.  There was a Bar abd Grill right accross the street in Ft mitchell Ky that offered a low country boil on Thur. for about 9 bux.  That was around 01.  Basic AUCE crawdads, andouille, rep pot, and corn.

I just wasnt up to partake .  Its not that hard to get in on a deal with snow or or King at the dreaded Red lobster at times but anything more "specialized" is a no go.  I was just lamenting the loss of of the local Joes Crab Shack after swearing years back never to go there.  Now they have these nice looking deals and its either down to the river or off to Columbus to partake.
    I really enevy you guts having all the great seafood/
    britt
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/07/02 09:22:44 (permalink)
    I ate there about 2 months ago and got the AYCE blue crabs.   They were among the best AYCE Ive ever had - decent sized, full, cooked right and no "duds" where the insides have mushed out or have a funky taste. 

To be clear, decent sized means just legal to just above legal.  Too many places will sell just legal to just below legal, which is both frustrating as an eater and frustrating as one who lives near the chespeake and doesn't want to see the crab population disappear.

I'd tried May's on 355, on the south side of Frederick a few times over the last two years. Each time there were many duds that were inedible - either super watery, or empty of meat or turned sour.  While AYCE simply means you order more, it is wasteful and unappetizing to have so many.  It also makes you question the quality of supply and processing.  May's has its charms, but I wouldn't recommend it for AYCE crabs. 

Going to Liberty Road meant, for me, I had finally found a reliable, local AYCE crab place. 

Now, as for crab legs...are they even legal in Maryland?  Isn't that like looking for a good Italian place in China? 
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/07/03 04:21:35 (permalink)
    We have a reservation for Liberty Road at 5pm the 13th. I'll report back.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8474
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/07/03 13:14:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like an awesome place....
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/07/10 01:19:41 (permalink)
    Now we're not going. Couldn't justify 50 bucks per person for AYCE crab legs when I can buy snow crab clusters for 4.49 a lb.

G'mother in law can get oysters for 11 a qt. I can get good sized scallops and shrimp at Costco for a decent price.

So we are going to get together at the daughters house and I'm going to cook.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8474
    Re:Liberty Road Seafood near Frederick, Md. 2009/07/10 10:52:59 (permalink)
    That sounds wonderful,too!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1