Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more

Author
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2004/03/15 17:58:35 (permalink)

Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more

In Niles Illinois (Northwest suburb of Chicago) there is a small, unfancy place called Pita Town. Their Shawarma is home made from Beef & Lamb and it is pita perfection. I had one earlier today and it truly was heavenly. I crave these sandwiches! Their falafel is also tasty. If you're really hungry they do meals also and good baklava. Margaret & Jozeph are very nice people which makes it a pleasureable experience. Each table has flowers and often Middle Eastern (Syrian?) music plays in the background. I don't know what I'll do if they ever close the place!

I don't know the exact address but it is on Milwaukee Avenue at Ballard. Ballard is between the main east-west streets of Dempster and Golf.

12 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2004/03/15 19:03:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood, twodales. I live in Pennsylvania am not in the vicinity to try Pita Tower but if I ever pass through Chicago, I'll plan to stop there. Middle Eastern cuisine is my favorite - more than Italian or Mexican or any other. We are fortunate to have some very good M.E. restaurants in our area, mostly Lebanese but a couple of Syrian and Turkish too.

I have been learning how to cook Lebanese foods from a woman I met at out local Farmers' Market and made stuffed kibbee and Turkish salad yesterday. In exchange, I am teaching her how to make diner foods.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2004/03/16 10:49:54 (permalink)
    If you are ever in Bethesda, MD, there is a place called Tel Aviv Cafe that has AWESOME shawarma. I hadn't had a craving for it for a while, but now twodales has me started!!!
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2004/03/16 12:13:30 (permalink)
    Max's Kosher Cafe (2319 University) in Wheaton MD has fantastic shawarma and falafels. I'm moving close to there at the beginning of April and I'm psyched!
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2004/03/16 12:31:11 (permalink)
    Montreal has terrific Lebanese as well.
    Heather and I frequent a small restaurant (I also can't remember the name) on St. Denis opposite the St. Denis theater for shish took (I know this is spelled wrong) and other pita delights.
    Very tasty and very inexpensive-really good late night grub.
    Mr Falafel, on St Laurent is open 24 hours, and is also quite good.
    DaveM
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2004/03/16 17:14:10 (permalink)
    We've enjoyed the lebanese cooking at the Pita Gourmet in Cortland, NY. Great stuff!!
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2004/03/16 19:47:59 (permalink)
    There is great schwarma at the new Middle Eastern grocery in Vienna, VA.
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2006/03/06 18:54:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twodales

In Niles Illinois (Northwest suburb of Chicago) there is a small, unfancy place called Pita Town.

Just went by there in the past two weeks and they are closed. The new place is Burrito Town or something like that according to the sign in the window. I don't think the new place was yet open.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2006/03/06 19:04:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tastytoo

quote:

In Niles Illinois (Northwest suburb of Chicago) there is a small, unfancy place called Pita Town.

Just went by there in the past two weeks and they are closed. The new place is Burrito Town or something like that according to the sign in the window. I don't think the new place was yet open.
    Sure it wasn't a new Walgreen's or bank?Pita Inn has a couple area locations.They do the exact same menu.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4253
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2006/03/06 21:05:20 (permalink)
    Haven't driven past that intersection recently, so I don't know if Pita Town is still around or not. It was at Milwaukee and Ballard the last time I did drive past.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they were closed; Pita Inn's newest location is straight up Milwaukee Avenue less than a mile away. When it comes to good quality Middle Eastern fast food, Pita Inn is the 800 pound gorilla of the north suburbs. It's altogether possible that Pita Inn drove Pita Town out of town.

Now, in an effort to stay on topic in this thread, Pita Inn has recently started serving a Chicken Shawarma sandwich that is fantastic!

Buddy
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2006/03/06 21:20:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
    Originally posted by Tastytoo

quote:

Sure it wasn't a new Walgreen's or bank?Pita Inn has a couple area locations.They do the exact same menu.
    Pita Town definately closed. As far as I know Pita Inn is still open.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2006/03/06 22:46:15 (permalink)
    Pita Town is definitely OOB, as is Jaafar Sweets in the same strip mall. Pita Inn is just a few minutes north on Milwaukee Avenue and has really excellent food at great prices. Was there two nights ago and did some serious damage to beef shawarma and a fatoush salad!
    jkml
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Like Middle Eastern? Try this: Shawarma & more 2006/03/17 11:41:17 (permalink)
    Rubyrose, just moved to Langhorne, Lower Makefield area and if you have any suggestions for restaurants within this area would be great. We also travel a lot within an hour and a half or so with kids sports. We were from NW suburbs of Chicago, and spent a lot of time at the Niles ice rink! There used to be a decent Pita place on, maybe Barrington Rd. or Roselle, South of Golf in the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1