Limburger Cheese

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 09:49:00
  • Location: Baltimore, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 09:40:12 (permalink)
Limburger, raw onion, dark rye, with a nice, crisp pils....outstanding.
#31
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
  • Joined: 2003/08/19 21:12:00
  • Location: Franklin, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 12:38:01 (permalink)
Have any of you "virgin" Limburger cheese eaters had your first taste yet?

My Mom and Dad eat limburger cheese all the time, as a kid I would run out of the room as soon as they unwrapped it. You people have sparked my interest now all I need is a little kick in the pants to get going. So lets here from a first timer!
#32
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18458
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 13:01:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

Limburger, raw onion, dark rye, with a nice, crisp pils....outstanding.


Thanks.
#33
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 17:24:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alesrus

Have any of you "virgin" Limburger cheese eaters had your first taste yet?

Limburger Virgin Report:

I went out this weekend and bought a small block of Limburger; the brand was County Castle out of Wisconsin.

I tried it on Monday, and it was quite delicious. However, I ate it on celery (inspired by the illustrious Sundancer, with added moral support from the equally illustrious CheeseWit, I started the Atkins Induction phase on Monday). I'm looking forward to eating it in a sandwich as described by Michael Hoffman, Mayhaw Man, et al.

It seems that most people described the smell as sweaty gym socks. It reminded me more of the county landfill.
#34
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
  • Joined: 2002/06/12 16:27:00
  • Location: Nashville, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 17:44:48 (permalink)
Let's try and tie up some loose ends here and bring the thread full circle: "Try feeding some limburger to the dog -- it may not cure his flatulence, but at the very least it should bring the aroma more in line with that of the cheese itself..."

Is Limburger the inspiration for the phrase: "Who cut the cheese?"...

#35
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 19:10:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/19 14:38:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Let's try and tie up some loose ends here and bring the thread full circle: "Try feeding some limburger to the dog -- it may not cure his flatulence, but at the very least it should bring the aroma more in line with that of the cheese itself..."

Is Limburger the inspiration for the phrase: "Who cut the cheese?"...




POGOPHILES: Loved your post! You may definitely be on to something there! "The Foofin' Man" (or just "the Man" for short) likes to take his meds wrapped in some cheese. I'll have to try some Limburger on him, if I can find some in my area. The smell couldn't get much worse around here. While I'm at it, may as well join "the Man" --while he's ingesting his Limburger, I'll be making myself a sandwich with MY portion. Hopefully, I won't be "foofin'" right along with "the Man" afterward!

By the way, I think you're right about "cutting the cheese"...Limburger had to have inspired that saying.
#36
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 19:10:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/19 14:55:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mudbug

Liederkrantz-what a great memory.I recall my dad having that small wooden box on top of the refridgerator waiting 'til just the right moment to spread it on some crackers.Of course it wasn't until years later that my taste buds allowed me to indulge.My first taste was also at McSorleys.Before the show at the Filmore we couldn't wait to sit down to copious amounts of ale with McSorley's bar food-Saltines,raw onions and Liederkrantz.What a great way to prepare for The Greatful Dead!I know there is a market for this funky smelling treat.It's a shame the fire swept the business away.


LIEDERKRANZ CANAPES

I found this recipe in an old cookbook. I wonder if you could substitute Limburger for the Liederkranz.

The recipe is as follows:

Combine 1 cake of Liederkranz with 2 Tbsp softened butter and several drops of Tabasco, and beat until smooth.

Mix in a little chopped chives, about 2 finely chopped scallions, and freshly ground black pepper. Spread on thin slices of rye or pumpernickel.



#37
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
  • Joined: 2003/01/26 03:09:00
  • Location: Victorville, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/19 16:11:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

How the Hell did our discussion of magnificent Limburger get off into canine flatulence??



Proably because the smell is similar? LOL
#38
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 19:10:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/19 17:10:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

How the Hell did our discussion of magnificent Limburger get off into canine flatulence??



Proably because the smell is similar? LOL


All I can say is this...if the smell of Limburger makes your eyes burn, it'll be on a par with some of the smells "the Man" produces at times around here. I kid you not. He always seems to let an "eye burner" go on our bed as he lays between us, just before we go to sleep. He's as goofy and as stubborn as hell, personality-wise, with a strong passive-aggressive streak. I could tell you stories. But I can't imagine being without him or the comic relief he provides.
#39
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 19:10:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/25 15:29:43 (permalink)
Does anybody know where I can purchase some Limburger cheese in the Chicagoland area? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to make a special trip to Wisconsin if it's available closer to home. Thanks!
#40
slm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2003/09/17 01:26:00
  • Location: Alton, KS
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/25 15:41:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Does anybody know where I can purchase some Limburger cheese in the Chicagoland area? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to make a special trip to Wisconsin if it's available closer to home. Thanks!


You can order it from either Bumgartners in Monroe or from the Chalet Cheese Factory also in Monroe. Save you a trip!
#41
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 19:10:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/27 13:07:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by slm

quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Does anybody know where I can purchase some Limburger cheese in the Chicagoland area? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to make a special trip to Wisconsin if it's available closer to home. Thanks!


You can order it from either Bumgartners in Monroe or from the Chalet Cheese Factory also in Monroe. Save you a trip!


Thanks for the suggestion, slm. But, I'm still hoping that somebody in the Chicagoland area can tell me of a supermarket, gourmet shop, deli, etc. that carries Limburger. I'd rather not go the mail-order route if I don't have to just yet.
#42
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1