Limburger Cheese

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/09/11 16:41:41 (permalink)

Limburger Cheese

I confess I am curious about Limburger cheese. I saw a part of "Roker on the Road" where he was at the Chalet Cheese Cooperative in Wisconsin, apparently the last factory where the cheese is made.

The workers in the factory said that they were careful not to "sit around" in their work clothes after arriving home as the aroma of the cheese clung to them.

He then went to a cafe where people were eating (and loving) slabs of the cheese on bread with onion.

I have never tried Limburger and am curious as to how it tastes, what dishes it is used in , AND how does it really smell?

41 Replies Related Threads

Gator
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 16:51:53 (permalink)
    This description from the Carr Valley Cheese factory pretty much says it all: "Wisconsin favorite is a very pungent semi-soft surface ripened cheese. Great on rye bread with onion, mustard and a beer."

I stopped into this place while visiting the wife's family in Mauston, Wisconsin, and bought some limburger as a gag gift for my grandfather-in-law. He had been reminiscing about his dad being a big limburger fan in New Jersey in the 1920's and '30's. He said it smelled like "it's time to change your socks."

It certainly seemed to be the punchline for a lot of jokes in Three Stooges-era comedy.
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 16:58:02 (permalink)
    My grandfather was a Wisconsin dairy farmer. According to my mom, he absolutely ADORED limburger cheese. He liked to put some on a slice of my grandmother's homemade white bread or on some crackers. The smell? The closest my mom could come to a description was something like this...gym socks that haven't been washed in a L---O---N---G time! Bon appetit!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 19:02:42 (permalink)
    I love Limburger cheese. I know that some people find the aroma a bit off-putting, but I never even notice it except when unwrapping the cheese. It certainly has a delightfully gentle flavor that goes well with sliced onion on rye bread. I always preferred a different cheese with similar properties, Liederkrantz, but it is no longer available. Some ten or so years ago the Ohio factory where it was made, and it was the only place it was ever made, burned down.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 19:32:37 (permalink)
    Always wondered what happened to Liederkrantz - used to buy it in a local supermarket - damn good stuff when properly ripened.

I was introduced to Limburger a lot of years ago at McSorleys wonderful Ale House in lower east side Manhattan- before it was a tourist trap, but after it was discovered by the hip college -age crowd .
    It was served with ale, rye bread and onions - love at first sight.

Now that the season has arrived with beautiful fresh pears on the market I'll buy myself some Limburrger, age it a while if it feels too stiff, and pig out on slices of pear and smears of Limburger and a bottle of great Finger Lakes Riesling or maybe some Calvados - or maybe both. The odor is only apparent for a few seconds when opening the package - the taste is wonderful with the proper accopianments.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 19:36:32 (permalink)
    I like the cheese also, but what gives it that odor?

Once you get past the smell, it is wonderful

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 19:37:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Always wondered what happened to Liederkrantz - used to buy it in a local supermarket - damn good stuff when properly ripened.

I was introduced to Limburger a lot of years ago at McSorleys wonderful Ale House in lower east side Manhattan- before it was a tourist trap, but after it was discovered by the hip college -age crowd .
    It was served with ale, rye bread and onions - love at first sight.

Now that the season has arrived with beautiful fresh pears on the market I'll buy myself some Limburrger, age it a while if it feels too stiff, and pig out on slices of pear and smears of Limburger and a bottle of great Finger Lakes Riesling or maybe some Calvados - or maybe both. The odor is only apparent for a few seconds when opening the package - the taste is wonderful with the proper accopianments.

I haven't been to McSorleys since, oh, around 1965. It was a great place to drink.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 20:53:54 (permalink)
    I haven't been there since about 1956 - I don't think either of us would want to go there today - it's a tourist trap.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 22:55:42 (permalink)
    Don't judge a book by its cover or, a cheese by its aroma.

Let us be clear from the beginning, this is a STINKY CHEESE. You either can't live without it, or you can't live with it! When you opened your box of cheese this month you probably noticed the aroma straight away, so let's take a look at what causes that smell.

Once made, the young cheese is constantly washed or "rubbed" by hand with a brine solution that stops the growth of mold, while promoting the growth of edible bacterium. This bacterium, known in short as b-linens, is where the staggering aroma comes from, and it also creates the sun burnt-orange colored rind.

Trappist Monks where the first to make this exceptional cheese. Limburger originated in the Belgian province of Liège and was first sold at markets in Limbourg.

In the nineteenth century, cheese makers in Germany fell in love with Limburger, and are now so enamored with it that most Germans, and even some Belgians, believe Limburger to be a German cheese! In the United States Limburger also owes its popularity to the Germans, since German immigrants started making the cheese when they emigrated. (Domestic made Limburger is a much milder cheese than the real thing.)

Limburgers' notoriety is such that it turns up in all manner of places. The Invalid's Story by Mark Twain is about a very bizarre experiment which studied mosquitoes' responses to Limburger cheese versus socks worn by humans! There are even a couple of websites devoted to how Limburger is either beloved or detested!

if you are adventurous and like strong tasting cheeses, try this sandwich. Start with pumpernickel or rye bread spread with some horseradish, add Limburger, sliced onions, and liverwurst or braunschweiger. This is not for the faint of heart - for some it's a traditional way to start each new year!

This was copied from a fan site for Stinky Cheese. Hope it answers the question about the source of the bouquet.

I love stinky cheese, Limburger, bleu, stilton, the stronger the better, bring it on

By the way, has anyone ever read the "The Stinky Cheeseman and other Twisted Fairy Tails" to their children. I highly reccomend it. A wonderfully funny book and great artwork to boot. You can find it on Amazon.

ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/11 23:28:56 (permalink)
    My Mom told me my grandma never let the stuff in the house so she & her Dad had to sit on the back porch to eat the cheese! My Mom said no one else in her family would even try it but that she really liked it.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 08:31:01 (permalink)
    You know it surprises me that i have never ate limburger, because I LOVE stinky cheese!But reading this forum has got my interest peaked. Just yesterdaqy i found a pretty good local baked pumpernickel and i have a good friend whos a genuine Italian cheesemohnger---and maker!!---see Lovera's Family market at---www.iloveitalian.com ---who can get me whatever from wherever cheese wise--so im off to order some imported limburger--btw---the onion----sweet or pungent???
    Lone Star
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 09:42:27 (permalink)
    Now my interest is really piqued, and I will make an effort to search out some Limburger.

I did not mention that at the place where the sandwiches were served, one of the waitresses also made a cheesecake using Limburger on occasion that the regulars just loved.

Mayhaw, I believe I still have a tattered copy of "The Stinky Cheese Man" somewhere in my house. It was a favorite when my kids were younger.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 10:47:45 (permalink)
    Mayhaw Man, thanks for the "history". Really interesting.

I've never tried Limburger, either, but I'm going to buy some this weekend at Central Market. That sandwich you described also sounds wonderful!

My wife and daughter will no doubt squawk when I open it, but what's the fun of having a family if you can't "bug" them?
    Lone Star
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 11:05:58 (permalink)
    I try to get my husband sit on the patio when he wants to eat tinned smoked oysters.
    mudbug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 11:39:23 (permalink)
    Liederkrantz-what a great memory.I recall my dad having that small wooden box on top of the refridgerator waiting 'til just the right moment to spread it on some crackers.Of course it wasn't until years later that my taste buds allowed me to indulge.My first taste was also at McSorleys.Before the show at the Filmore we couldn't wait to sit down to copious amounts of ale with McSorley's bar food-Saltines,raw onions and Liederkrantz.What a great way to prepare for The Greatful Dead!I know there is a market for this funky smelling treat.It's a shame the fire swept the business away.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 13:56:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I try to get my husband sit on the patio when he wants to eat tinned smoked oysters.

That's funny, I try to get my wife to sit in my lap when she eats them. The better to get my fork in the tin
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 14:07:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Lone Star, I used to do the same thing to my husband! But after we got ourselves an English bulldog with a flatulence problem about a year ago, I let my husband eat the smoked oysters inside now, in order to make the place smell better!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 16:28:36 (permalink)
    Funny(not), my husband has the same problem as your dog. Bring on the limberger AND smoked oysters. I've never had smoked oysters, a girl down the hall here at work eats them often then discards her can outside of the building. I have a bushel of fresh oysters in the shell on ice at home now just waiting for the fire to be built!
    ocdreamr
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 21:58:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Lone Star, I used to do the same thing to my husband! But after we got ourselves an English bulldog with a flatulence problem about a year ago, I let my husband eat the smoked oysters inside now, in order to make the place smell better!

Kimchee,
    I would have emailed you this but you don't have an email forwarding. Get the dog off of all beef products. Someone told me this a long time ago, I have had two dogs with this problem & as long as I keep them on chicken or turkey based dog food there is little to no problem!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 22:12:42 (permalink)
    How the Hell did our discussion of magnificent Limburger get off into canine flatulence??
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/12 23:02:22 (permalink)
    There's a tavern on the town square in Monroe, Wisconsin, that specializes in limburger sandwiches. My impression was that the stuff is sorta like durian. Smells bad, tastes great.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/13 00:34:42 (permalink)
    quote:

How the Hell did our discussion of magnificent Limburger get off into canine flatulence??

SJ, I can't tell you how hard I laughed when I read this!!

One of the things I find most fascinating is the direction some of these threads take. I've started kind of a "mental game" trying to predict which way they're going to go.

So far, I haven't been accurate at all!
    ocdreamr
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/13 00:47:07 (permalink)
    quote:

Seafarer,

If you've ever been around limburger & an aromatic doggie you'd know there isn't much difference!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/13 09:15:38 (permalink)
    PovertyPete, I have been to that place in Monroe, wisc. but cannot think of the name. I had a coworker a few years ago who came from Monroe and whenever he went home to visit family he would take orders for cheese of all kinds including limburger for me. Monroe area is great for a weekend getaway, a number of cheese producers in the area.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/13 09:18:44 (permalink)
    ...to say nothing of the wonderful brewery in town!
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/13 10:38:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:

Kimchee,
    I would have emailed you this but you don't have an email forwarding. Get the dog off of all beef products. Someone told me this a long time ago, I have had two dogs with this problem & as long as I keep them on chicken or turkey based dog food there is little to no problem!

OCDREAMER: Many thanks for taking the time to give me some advice! You've felt my pain, I see. The "Foofin' Man", as he's affectionately known, doesn't eat beef products. He eats his high-octane organic kibble (Solid Gold brand) and drinks his water mighty fast, as most bulldogs do, that's all. He's also on steroids and Benedryl for a contact allergy, which "kicks it up another notch" odorwise. Can't get the Man to slow down his eating pace, gotta keep giving him his meds... so we just buy a lot of heavy-duty solid air fresheners (one for each room) to cope.

I know that what I've written is sort of off-topic, but if anyone wants to eat limburger and crackers over at our place, the smell of your snack wouldn't be a problem. Everybody have a nice weekend!
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/14 10:53:19 (permalink)
    LIMBURGER SPECIFICS FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED...

Chalet Cheese Co-op
    N4858 County Road N
    Monroe, WI

Sales room hours: 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m., weekdays; 8:00-10:30 a.m. Saturday; closed Sunday (No tours given.)

Details: (608) 325-4343

slm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 02:07:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

PovertyPete, I have been to that place in Monroe, wisc. but cannot think of the name. I had a coworker a few years ago who came from Monroe and whenever he went home to visit family he would take orders for cheese of all kinds including limburger for me. Monroe area is great for a weekend getaway, a number of cheese producers in the area.
    slm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 02:14:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

The name of the place is Baumgartners Cheese Store and Tavern. I have wonderful memories of going there with my mom and dad and aunt and uncle and eating those wonderful limburger cheese sandwiches. It's always been a tradition in our family. I introduced my future husband to it while we were dating, but could never get him to try the sandwich. He would take me, but usually made me ride in the back seat on the way home! I've since taken both my husband and son there, but cannot get them to try the limburger sandwiches - don't know what they're missing! Since we've moved from the area I don't get there very often anymore, but just reading about limburger cheese again has made me decide to make a trip back to Monroe as soon as possible!
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Limburger Cheese 2003/09/17 09:33:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman I always preferred a different cheese with similar properties, Liederkrantz, but it is no longer available. Some ten or so years ago the Ohio factory where it was made, and it was the only place it was ever made, burned down.
    Here's a link to check:
    http://www.idealcheese.com/wwwboard/messages/1164.html
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1