Linden, NJ September 14 week

Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 502
2009/09/10 20:41:43 (permalink)

Linden, NJ September 14 week

Sorry for the late notice, but I have a trip to Linden, NJ next week starting on Monday September 14 and finishing probably Thursday morning - I need to be back in Buffalo for the Roadfood tour coming up and am looking forward to meeting all who are coming.  Anyway, the point of this post is to see if any area Roadfooders would care to get together for a meal on Monday and / or Tuesday and / or Wednesday night (how is that for sentence structure?)    I realize that the evenings don't give a lot of time, and I also know that many of you all have a Hot Dog tour coming up later in September, so next week may not be the greatest time.  That's fine, and I have the technology to find good places to eat.  But if anyone would like to get together, I would be glad to have your company.  Whenever I have made time for finding other RF-ers on earlier trips, I have had a really great time: thanks ayersian, doggydaddy, nocarolina, tntinct, and any others who were gracious and kind enough to show me around.  Feel free to PM me or respond to this post.

10 Replies Related Threads

Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/09/15 12:10:21 (permalink)
    your close to afew ideas

the BAyWAY DINER, big stoshs   both located on wood ave

not far from some stop's on NJ HOT DOG TOUR for sept 09 visits.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1588
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/09/15 17:46:41 (permalink)
    Sorry, I just saw this so I hope it's not too late to respond. I wouldn't be able to join you tomorrow (and we just finished dinner tonite) but I can offer a couple of Roadfood suggestions in the Linden area:

I beleive the Bayway Diner has closed. The number is out of service and the website is in the public domain. Too bad, it was great roadfood (one of the best cheesesteaks I've ever had) in an industrial area by the refineries.

Big Stash's is a good suggestion, big sprawling family tavern with home cooking, a lot of Polish specialties (Linden is a heavily Polish town).

Also in Linden is Father & Son luncheonette, 902 W. St. Georges Ave. Great Chili Dogs, it's been on the Hot Dog Tour.

Nearby in Carteret is Burger Express. I love thier Cheese Fries, and Burgers are pretty good too:

http://www.burgerexpress.com/

For excellent Thin Crust Pizza in an old school tavern setting, I love The Towne House Tavern, 1453 Main Street, Rahway (5 mins from Linden).

Have a good visit, let us know where you wound up.

(Edit): PS, to Top it off, for a good old-fashioned Italian Ice I recommend Mimi's, 357 West Clay Ave, Roselle Park (10 mins from Linden). It's been there for over 50 years and has a great time-warp feel about it. Nice to sit outside on a warm night (no indoor seating), lots of locals coming and going.
    post edited by ken8038 - 2009/09/15 17:52:56
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/09/15 19:37:35 (permalink)
    Dog Boss and Ken8038,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was wondering about Big Stash's because it is pretty close and sounds like a winner.  I might give it a try before I leave.

sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/09/17 20:35:52 (permalink)
    don't forget the trip report with pics BT. we can always count on you
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/09/27 16:44:21 (permalink)
    i was in linden last week monday or tuesday, we eat at chevy's tex mex at airport plaza, 5th trip there, this wasn't a good one...... three adults and a child,   just a bad day.

after we drove over to wood ave, bayway diner looked open to us, plenty of people milling around.................. i don't know about being closed or web site, looked open to us. rolled down the street and gave stosh's a peek and they were open also so.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/09/29 20:26:52 (permalink)
    Just to close the loop on this, I ended up being under the weather a bit on that trip and did not get out to many RF places.  I do thank you all for the advice on places to go to and will use that information on my next trip.

Dog Boss,

I was wondering about the Tex Mex place in the plaza because it was right behind my hotel (Hampton Inn).  It sounds as though it's not too bad in general but has some bad days.  I suspect I won't give it a try next trip with all the other options people have given me.

Sk Bob,

Sorry, no photographs this time.  I should have taken one of the Italian bread I bought at the Shoprite for sandwiches: that was some good bread.

Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/10/03 10:13:01 (permalink)
    give us a head up, on your next trip down....................theres plenty more offerings from your hotel location.

you can look thru some treads , try to point what direction you want to hit.

Linden, NJ
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Newark, NJ
    The Jersey Shore

Theres so many food choices within minutes of your stop, and so much more with in a hour  or less.

Hot Dogs, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Deli's and on and on...........
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1588
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/10/03 19:56:06 (permalink)
    <<I was wondering about the Tex Mex place in the plaza because it was right behind my hotel (Hampton Inn).  It sounds as though it's not too bad in general but has some bad days.  I suspect I won't give it a try next trip with all the other options people have given me.

If you're talking about Chevy's, that's a chain. I haven't been to that particular one, but I have been to another in New Jersey and it's exactly what you'd expect of chain Tex Mex. It's OK, but not worth a stop when there are so many better options in the area.

Like Dog Boss said, we'll be glad to help you out next time you're in the area.

Dog Boss: Thanks for the update on the Bayway Diner that it looks like it has reopened, I'm going to try to get there again soon. Hopefully they still have the same chef/cook, he was excellent.

PS: I'm not sure which Shop Rite you went to but some of them are supplied by Johnston Avenue Bakery in Plainfield (although I think thier retail shop has closed) and it's very good bread indeed.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/10/03 20:12:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Dog Boss and Ken8038,

I appreciate all of your good advice and realize that there is a wealth of outstanding food to choose from in that area; I hope that next time I am feeling more normal health-wise.  Reading the reports on last weekend's New Jersey hot dog trip has me enthused to check out some of those places. 

The Shop Rite I went to was the one in the Airport Plaza where the Hampton Inn was located.  Next time I will be picking up some more of that excellent bread and bringing it home.
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Linden, NJ September 14 week 2009/10/05 18:03:32 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel

Thanks Dog Boss and Ken8038,

I appreciate all of your good advice and realize that there is a wealth of outstanding food to choose from in that area; I hope that next time I am feeling more normal health-wise.  Reading the reports on last weekend's New Jersey hot dog trip has me enthused to check out some of those places. 

The Shop Rite I went to was the one in the Airport Plaza where the Hampton Inn was located.  Next time I will be picking up some more of that excellent bread and bringing it home.

theres plenty of bread to be found, shop-rite should be the last resort, lots of great bakeries in the area for bread

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1