Line Up For Gumbo Z'Herbes At Dooky Chase.

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10101
2012/04/05 01:34:57 (permalink)

Line Up For Gumbo Z'Herbes At Dooky Chase.

Since many of us have been there, I thought you would like the article.
Here's the Article:
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=oq69eubab&v=001euir7dY8GMXfWIClhJgHlxIqxbHXWGDYalrw6hQFf40Tze1xY7XVmOwGCZ0--64bFWFgu3QjuQws01bzPrQkDzGuQvA3rFLdVzz536MCz3BRViwzVVX6qA%3D%3D
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/04/05 01:36:57

2 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    Re:Line Up For Gumbo Z'Herbes At Dooky Chase. 2012/04/05 08:52:07 (permalink)
    I haven't been to Dooky Chase in many years but that gumbo sounds delicious.  I can't believe Miss Leah is still there. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10101
    Re:Line Up For Gumbo Z'Herbes At Dooky Chase. 2012/04/05 17:31:05 (permalink)
    lleechef
    I haven't been to Dooky Chase in many years but that gumbo sounds delicious.  I can't believe Miss Leah is still there. 

She's 89 years old and still comes in every day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ky7Gce2QY&feature=related
    Here's "THE" Recipe:
    Gumbo Z’Herbes
    Recipe from Leah Chase [Dooky Chase, New Orleans, Louisiana]
    Jadin loin, gombo gaté. (Jardin loin, gombo gâté) “When the garden is far, the gumbo is spoiled.” An old Creole saying. Given the large number of green ingredients in this dish it is definitely one to make after a trip to the local farmers’ market. Leah Chase’s gumbo is so steeped in history and folklore it’s a shame to keep it to just one day of the year and remember – always use an odd number of greens.
    1 bunch mustard greens
    1 bunch collard greens
    1 bunch turnip greens
    1 bunch watercress
    1 bunch beet tops
    1 bunch carrot tops
    1 bunch spinach
    1/2 head of lettuce
    1/2 head of cabbage
    2 medium onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
    4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
    5 tablespoons flour
    1 pound smoked sausage
    1 pound smoked ham
    1 pound brisket, cubed
    1 pound stew meat
    1 pound hot sausage, chaurice
    1 teaspoon thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon filé powder
    Serves 8 to 10 over steamed rice.
    1. Clean greens under cold running water, making sure to pick out bad leaves and rinse away any grit. Chop greens coarsely and place in a 12-quart stockpot with the onions and garlic. Cover with water (about 1 1/2 gallons), bring mixture to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
    2. Strain greens and reserve liquid.
    3. Cut all meats, except the chaurice, into bite-size pieces (about 1 inch pieces) and place in 12 quart stockpot with 2 cups of the reserved liquid. Steam over a high heat for 15 minutes.
    4. Meanwhile cut the chaurice into bite size pieces and place in a skillet over high heat to render, about 10 minutes. Remove chaurice, keeping the grease in the skillet and set aside.
    5. Blend greens in a food processor until puréed.
    6. Heat the skillet of chaurice grease over a high heat and add flour. Cook roux until flour is cooked, about 5 minutes (does not have to be brown). Pour roux over meat mixture and stir to combine.
    7. Add pureed greens to the meat in the stockpot and 2 quarts of the reserved liquid. Let simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes.  Add chaurice, thyme and cayenne, stir well. Season and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in filé powder and remove from heat. Serve over steamed rice.

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/04/05 17:38:50
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1