Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it?

Author
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
2011/01/20 06:42:35 (permalink)

Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it?

I’ve heard amazing things about liquid coffee concentrate for years.  People tell me it’s the best cup of coffee they’ve ever had, and I hear this over and over again.  I grind my own beans every morning, but if concentrate tastes as good as I’ve heard, I may just give up the grind, so to speak.  If any of you’ve tried it, what’s your opinion?  I’d like to find a mild to medium roast, unflavored (and no chicory).  I’m not sure I have the patience to cold-brew my own (as with the Coffee Toddy), but I’d love to find something available in stores.  Mail order is such an expensive hassle, especially for grocery items.    
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/01/20 06:57:33

6 Replies Related Threads

ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? 2011/01/20 10:44:12 (permalink)
    I do some side work for Kraft Beverages and they have several models of machines  called "convenience coffee" that use both frozen and refrigerated coffee concentrate depending on the model. I know they have a deal which gives you free use of the equipment and free service in return for buying the product from them. I have tasted the coffee many times and think it's quite good but I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means. I have about 40 machines of this type that I service in my area. They are placed in a small chain of local restaurants, a Club Med type resort, a very high-end retirement facility, and several motels in the area. One good thing is you always get a fresh cup of coffee. The product sold by Kraft is Maxwell House. There are other brands sold by other companies such as Hills/Nestle, Nescafe, Vitality and Douwe Egbert. All of the convenience coffee's I've seen required special equipment such as a Bunn model LCC for small -mid volume and a Bunn model LCR for higher volume.
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? 2011/01/20 13:10:22 (permalink)
    I've got to say I have had Douwe Egbert's liquid coffee at the old Magnolia Steak House in Ghent, Norfolk, VA.  I was astounded at the wonderful flavor!  Looked up the equipment a couple of years ago and it seemed that it was very expensive for the home brewers so I gave up and the Magnolia closed....no more fresh Douwe Egbert's!  Barney
    MellowRoast
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? 2011/01/20 13:29:18 (permalink)
    Barney: Actually, equipment isn't needed unless you cold-brew it yourself, such as The Coffee Toddy (about $38).  I'm trying to find a consumer-friendly bottled liquid coffee concentrate, mild or medium roast.  You just mix it with hot water (or cold for iced coffee).   

Cool Brew is a brand out of Louisana, but they don't offer a chicory-free mild or medium roast.  Victoria House is a San Diego-based brand, but I'm trying to avoid mail order for obvious reasons. 

Ces1948:  Thank you for the info. Called area restaurant supplies and coffee services this morning, but have come up empty handed so far.  Will follow the rest of your tips, too.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/01/21 22:43:23
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1121
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? 2011/01/20 13:50:57 (permalink)
    As a consumer  I have had the Douwe Egbert brand from Daylight Donuts here in Texas and I find it as good as anything I can grind myself. I always resort to that when I don't feel like making an entire pot. It's very good. IMHO.
    MellowRoast
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? 2011/01/20 14:57:23 (permalink)
    Yes, I've heard the same thing about DE's liquid concentrate, too.  This is the prevailing opinion I'm getting about concentrates.  
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? 2011/01/21 20:21:34 (permalink)
    You can cold brew your own in a French Press. Takes about 12-15 hours with the same results as a Toddy.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1