Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1029
RE: Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State 2008/06/29 17:38:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

I have a question. When I was a kid, my friends said that some states had 3.2 beer for underage (us) drinkers.
Anyone know about that ?
There are not any 3.2 bars anywhere as far as I know. There were when the drinking age was 18 for beer and 21 for liquor. Now the drinking age in all of the USA is 21. Colorado will only sell 3.2 beer in the super markets as the liquor stores are closed on Sunday.

David O.

Ohio was in the late '60s. There were huge bars just across the Indiana state line, like in Fort Recovery, that catered to 18 to 21 year olds from Indiana.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6328
RE: Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State 2008/06/29 18:03:10 (permalink)
quote:

I have a question. When I was a kid, my friends said that some states had 3.2 beer for underage (us) drinkers.
Anyone know about that ?

There are still six states that sell 3.2 beer. Minnesota does it to throw a bone to grocery and convenient stores but the drinking age was always still the same for all and never for under age drinkers.

When I went to school in Cincinnati 3.2 was served to 18 year olds and it was not necessarily confined to to 3.2 only bars. I could get it in any bar that served hard liquor as well. There were bars as plb mentions just across the border from Indiana and the Indiana college kids traveled many miles to go to them. I know for a fact as far away as Indiana University. I was visiting a friend there and got caught up in a group traveling clear across the state to go to Oxford, OH. I thought it was insane since I already had a year under my belt in Cincinnati and "matured" a bit.

Six of us were driving back to Bloomington, IN in the wee hours of the morning and I sat in the middle front bench seat with my knees up because of the transmission hump. I was the outsider so got that esteemed seat. Well, the car missed a turn and took out several feet of wire fencing and came up to rest against a pig pen. The farmer pulled us out with his tractor and we went on our way, a bit slower. The fence saved us. It acted to decelerate us and I didn't get hurt while sitting in the worst possible place. I never went back to Indiana University for weekend partying after that.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State 2008/06/29 18:45:58 (permalink)
I wrote at length about all the "blue law" and "blue nose" Texas restrictions above, so imagine our SHOCK at Cali's lack thereof when on Christmas Day, 2006 we took a cheap flight out of DFW, landed at John Wayne, checked in at the Fairmont, and drove down Jamboree to the PCH in search of food. Nothing was open EXCEPT LIQUOR STORES! We drove all the way to Sunset Beach before we found an open restaurant, but must have passed 30 places ready to dispense "cheer" on Christmas!

BTW: we discovered a great Roadfood joint that day - www.harborhousecafe.com Check their menu! http://www.harborhousecafe.com/pdf/menu.pdf
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State 2008/06/29 22:24:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by plb

quote:

Anyone know about that ?
There are not any 3.2 bars anywhere as far as I know. There were when the drinking age was 18 for beer and 21 for liquor. Now the drinking age in all of the USA is 21. Colorado will only sell 3.2 beer in the super markets as the liquor stores are closed on Sunday.

David O.

Ohio was in the late '60s. There were huge bars just across the Indiana state line, like in Fort Recovery, that catered to 18 to 21 year olds from Indiana.

Indeed, I remember 3.2 beer on the Eastern Ohio border during my undergraduate days (1965 - '69) at Westminster (PA) College. Even more fun was to travel to SW New York (Jamestown/Chatauqua) where in those days an 18 y.o. could buy anything. And buy we did: cheap flavored vodkas - cherry, lime, etc. Writing this four decades later I can still taste "the second taste" of lime vodka!
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State 2008/07/01 11:22:53 (permalink)
NJ - PBR! pour it with pride Newark (it isn't made here anymore, but we still love it!)
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Liquor and Beer and Wine ... State by State 2008/07/01 15:09:58 (permalink)
Oklahoma has bars that serve 3.2 beer---BUT--you still have to be 21 to drink in them.--a lot of the bars with beer only are 3.2---they don't need the same liquor licsence as a full bar.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1