Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe...

Author
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
2010/12/10 11:02:55 (permalink)

Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe...

You appear to make a good pie.  Pretty meringue, maple filling isn't my thing, but that's cool, I'm sure many people love it.  Looks like a good crust. Plus marks to you.

But what's with the regional slam towards "The South?"  And where'd you get the idea Southerners use Karo for anything but pecan and maybe the occasional "mock" this or that?  Hint: The Karo website doesn't tell the story. 

And RF, I hardly think one pie guy's throwaway comment to make his pie seem better than other pies counts as a religious or universal explanation.  Also.. let's try less snotty regionalism and more "yay, pie!" and maybe we'll be a nice, busy, friendly community again.

xoxo,
Granddaughter of the best Texan-by-way-of-Georgia Piemaker anywhere. Karo-pecan and all.

7 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7749
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2010/12/10 11:52:37 (permalink)
    txtwister 

Also.. let's try less snotty regionalism and more "yay, pie!"

Not trying to stir up a debate, however even though others including some of my friends on the forum will disagree with me when I say this, but perhaps you might not be aware that the Stern's starte writing roadfood books over two decades before the website began in 2000. In my opinion the prewebsite books used to be much more regionalistic in nature so perhaps some "snotty regionalism" may seem to stick out to you, however Roadfood has always been about regionalism, and I simply don't see what's so snotty about it.  It's just the nature of the beast
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/12/10 11:53:48
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2010/12/10 12:06:35 (permalink)
    Regionalism is AWESOME - it's what makes Roadfood work.   The Sterns original work, and indeed your trip reports are, imo, the epitome of that kind of great regionalism - when in Idaho, eat as Idahoans eat.  I've never noticed you go buy a bagel in New Mexico, for instance, and complain that it isn't up to RI standards.

What irritates me is that heavy-handed branding of other regional takes on things.  I'm kind of a staunch Tex-Mex apologist but have been very "nice" in chile relleno and chili threads recently, because while the things being described bear no resemblance to what "I" recognize, it doesn't mean they're inferior.  Just different.

But also... I just contest the idea that Southern pies are somehow Karo-laden diabetes bombs and Maine pies are their virtuous less cloying counterpart.
    Parrot Cage
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2011/05/23 16:01:10 (permalink)
    txtwister
    But also... I just contest the idea that Southern pies are somehow Karo-laden diabetes bombs and Maine pies are their virtuous less cloying counterpart.

Take it from a southerner living in northern Maine (about 12 air miles from Canada) If a Mainer (or Maineiac as they are called here)  tries to blast the south for our pies, just remind him that it WAS NOT us southerners that invented the Fluffernutter sandwich (for the uninitiated, it's a a sandwich PILED with peanut butter and marshmallow fluff).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18360
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2011/05/23 16:11:20 (permalink)
    I just happen to have some Fluff and some peanut butter. You bring the bread and I'll be glad to wield the knife for your enjoyment and edification.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2011/05/23 17:47:07 (permalink)
    Where do you find this Maine pie?  I'm missing something.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18360
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2011/05/23 19:05:21 (permalink)
    Check the date on the original post. Last December. Must have been something on a home page back then.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Listen here, Maine Pie Guy from the front page recipe... 2011/05/23 23:27:18 (permalink)
    Woops.  Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1