Listen up, Turnip Gourmets!

Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/26 14:41:26 (permalink)

Listen up, Turnip Gourmets!

Here's a dish I cooked up a few years back that is one of my favorite ways to prepare the roots of the turnip. I got to thinking I loved potatos done this way, and tried it with turnips.

Skillet Fried Scalloped Turnips.
1/2 lb. bacon chopped, fried, drained, and fryings reserved.
3 lbs. medium Purple Top White Globe turnips, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick.
2 to 3 medium yellow onions peeled and coarsely chopped.
2 to 3 cloves of garlic diced
1 carton sour cream

Sauté the scalloped turnips for a minute or two in a medium hot iron skillet of the bacon fryings. Season liberally with fresh ground peppercorns. Add the onions, and garlic, and turn frequently with a spatula to prevent sticking to the skillet and avoid breaking them up.
Water or chicken broth may be added as needed. When the turnips and onions begin to brown reduce the heat, cover, and smother the veggies until tender. Add the fried bacon, stir, and allow the flavors to meld for a few minutes at a lowered heat. When al dente turn off the heat, adjust salt, if needed with Tony Chachere's or similar seasoning. Add sour cream as desired, and serve. You'll want some cornbread, I'm sure. This is good with most any meat dish and has converted several people I've served it to into turnip lovers.

9 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/03/26 19:53:39 (permalink)
    I hate turnip roots. I love rutabegas. Oh well....
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/03/27 07:24:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

I hate turnip roots. I love rutabegas. Oh well....

I'm glad you don't like them. That leaves more for me.
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/03/27 08:23:57 (permalink)
    Let's see:

Fried bacon, sauteed onions and garlic, sour cream . . . YUP, that would make even turnips taste good!

Never met a turnip root that I liked, but then I never had them dressed up this way. Will have to revisit the issue. Thanks, Dick.
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/03/27 11:34:47 (permalink)
    I like to make turnip salad.Peel and shred turnip roots.Mix with chopped sweet onion and drained pineapple chunks,mayonnaise,salt and pepper.Wonderful!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/03/27 15:24:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BunglingBill

Let's see:

Fried bacon, sauteed onions and garlic, sour cream . . . YUP, that would make even turnips taste good!

Never met a turnip root that I liked, but then I never had them dressed up this way. Will have to revisit the issue. Thanks, Dick.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Well, if it broadened your culinary horizons I'm glad I posted the recipe, Bill, and you're welcome. That has been the reaction of several folks to the recipe. I've always loved the flavor of the turnip roots, and have been known to boil them, then mash them with butter and a little milk or cream.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/03/27 15:28:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

I like to make turnip salad.Peel and shred turnip roots.Mix with chopped sweet onion and drained pineapple chunks,mayonnaise,salt and pepper.Wonderful!
    Whoa! That sounds good, Iqdiva! I'll have to give it a try.
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/07/03 02:49:51 (permalink)
    i mix em in with my fried potato and onions same as yours just 50/50...also love them in my vegtable soup w/ parsnips cabbage everything but the sink....just good eats
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6905
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/07/03 09:48:39 (permalink)
    I adore purple-top turnips. In France they "turn" the carrots and turnips and cook in butter, a little water and some sugar. Also my favorite veg. in lamb couscous. When I lived in Boston the Irish called rutabagas "turnips" to put into corned beef and cabbage. They are also very good.
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Listen up, Turnip Gourmets! 2007/07/03 16:53:16 (permalink)
    I cooked purple top turnips last Saturday while my wife was out of town. She's kind of picky concerning food. I simply cleaned, peeled,diced and boiled. When tender, drained returned to the pan added a generous amount of butter, some salt, pepper and sugar, splash of cream, then used an old fashioned potato masher on them until they were a joyful sight.Plated those turnips along side a chicken fried steak, gravy and peas and carrots. Good dinner.
    Before bedtime, I reheated the turnips, stood over the sink polished them off, rinsed the pan and went to bed.
    I gotta get some more turnips!
    Ole Rouxdog
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1