Liver pudding

Author
a noid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2003/11/21 14:15:01 (permalink)

Liver pudding

Is there an authentic PA Dutch cook reading here? I made some passable scrapple, but I want some breakfast pudding.

21 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/11/21 15:59:50 (permalink)
    I hope you get a recipe - but please don't make us look!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/11/21 16:14:15 (permalink)
    RubyRose, where are you?
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/11/22 10:06:51 (permalink)
    a noid: I just checked my Amish cookbook to no avail, but I did find this on allrecipes.com:
    http://pork.allrecipes.com/AZ/PrkLivrPddiing.asp

Is this what you had in mind?
    Mongo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/12/25 20:52:16 (permalink)
    I DID IT!!! I HAVE IT!!! BREAKFAST PUDDING!!!! IT TOOK OVER A MONTH TO GET IT TOGETHER. But I have the recipe for breakfast pudding. I knew it as "ring pudding" or "breakfast pudding". It is not LIVER pudding. There is nothing better than an egg on toast with ring pudding! IF any of you had this years ago as I did you will be so excited to taste it again! And its easy! Although you do need a food or meat grinder. E-mail me for the recipe so I can keep track of who needs a "fix"! I will return e-mail with recipe at no charge of course! E-mail to: nrbq@tampabay.rr.com

Can't wait to hear from the "PUDDIN' HEADS"!

Bill
    Spring Hill, Florida
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/12/25 21:58:45 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    There is a recipe for livermush online, if any of you want to surf around for it - I've forgotten where I found it. Please note that it does not include slaw.
    I'll be back directly to see where this has led.
    Breakfastslowly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Not A Livermush-Free Zone.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/12/26 04:41:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    There is a recipe for livermush online, if any of you want to surf around for it - I've forgotten where I found it. Please note that it does not include slaw.
    Breakfastslowly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Not A Livermush-Free Zone.

Ort, some time ago I read an article about liver mush that mentioned a half dozen restaurants within an hour of Columbia, South Carolina that serve it. I remember locating the towns in an atlas for future reference. Unfortunately, I've not made it to any of them.

Down around Charleston, I've had "hash" and rice numerous times at barbeque buffets (one place is Mama Brown's, in Mt. Pleasant). The hash was described as being made of liver and other organ meats not utilized in chopped pork barbeque. I've heard it referred to as liver hash. It had tomato in it and was delicious. Interestingly, I did not detect the distinct flavor of liver in it. This hash is like a thick meat gravy that is customarily served over rice. Do you know if this hash is the same thing as liver mush?
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/12/26 08:23:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    I DID IT!!! I HAVE IT!!! BREAKFAST PUDDING!!!! IT TOOK OVER A MONTH TO GET IT TOGETHER. But I have the recipe for breakfast pudding. I knew it as "ring pudding" or "breakfast pudding". It is not LIVER pudding. There is nothing better than an egg on toast with ring pudding! IF any of you had this years ago as I did you will be so excited to taste it again! And its easy! Although you do need a food or meat grinder. E-mail me for the recipe so I can keep track of who needs a "fix"! I will return e-mail with recipe at no charge of course! E-mail to: nrbq@tampabay.rr.com

Mr. Mongo,
    The idea of this forum is to make it easy for everyone to get specifics - just put the damn recipe in a message and share it with us. Frankly, besides making it a hassle, suggesting that folks send you an email request sounds suspiciously like an email spammer. Just post it! jm
    Mongo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/12/26 21:35:34 (permalink)
    Ok. Your right. Sorry.

1/2 pound pork fat and other "scraps" if you can get em!
    1/2 pound pork
    Grind meat and fat twice in a meat grinder. Add to fry pan with water to cover meat. Heat on medium.
    When water simmers away add 1 tablespoon salt, 1 and 1/2 tablespoon black pepper and one teaspoon of sage AND the following sauce;

3/4 cup milk
    1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter.
    One tablespoon flour.
    Heat butter and milk till small boil, add flour, stir rapidly until thick like gravy.

Add sauce to meat and fat, stir in, and place in buttered bread pan.
    Chill 24 hours to flavor with seasoning.

To cook: Spoon out or remove mold and slice into fry pan with a little water. Heat and stir till consistancy of oatmeal.
    Place on top of buttered toast with sliced boiled egg. AND ENJOY!
    Mongo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Liver pudding 2003/12/26 22:00:41 (permalink)
    I was going to make a million dollars on this endeavor but the Dr. caught me and my internet ring pudding scam...DAMN
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Liver pudding 2004/03/12 08:53:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,

Ort, some time ago I read an article about liver mush that mentioned a half dozen restaurants within an hour of Columbia, South Carolina that serve it. I remember locating the towns in an atlas for future reference. Unfortunately, I've not made it to any of them.

Down around Charleston, I've had "hash" and rice numerous times at barbeque buffets (one place is Mama Brown's, in Mt. Pleasant). The hash was described as being made of liver and other organ meats not utilized in chopped pork barbeque. I've heard it referred to as liver hash. It had tomato in it and was delicious. Interestingly, I did not detect the distinct flavor of liver in it. This hash is like a thick meat gravy that is customarily served over rice. Do you know if this hash is the same thing as liver mush?

Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Liver pudding 2004/03/12 11:52:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alexander

quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,

I replied to this post, but apparently there were problems and my reply did not print.

Livermush is nothing like the bbq hash that you had. Livermush is more like southern scrapple, with cornmeal as one of its ingredients. Traditionally the hash is made from hog's head, pig's feet, liver, and various other organs that can legally be put in food, plus other items that occur to people, such as minced hard-boiled eggs. Bbq joints each have different recipes which they guard carefully. Some scapegrace places that are past praying for simply water down their sauce and mix it with some of the bbqed pork. It seems to be mainly a SC practice, since GA serves Brunswick Stew and NC makes do with Hushpuppies. It is seldom made at home because of the labor-intensive nature of making it, but sometimes it is made for major whole hog pig-pickings such as family reunions.

There is a liver pudding made in SC usually referred to as "stick pudding." It is a liver pudding made with cooked rice as a filler and stuffed in a casing. Wonderful with grits and quite good cold in a sandwich. My 14-year old, who loves it, likes to take such a sandwich to school for lunch and gross out her friends.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Liver pudding 2004/11/30 22:46:43 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

There is a liver pudding made in SC usually referred to as "stick pudding." It is a liver pudding made with cooked rice as a filler and stuffed in a casing. Wonderful with grits and quite good cold in a sandwich. My 14-year old, who loves it, likes to take such a sandwich to school for lunch and gross out her friends.

Alexander,
    AH! You are speaking of the variety of Liver Pudding produced in the central part of South Carolina. The two brands I have seen in Batesburg/Leesville were Counts' from Counts' Sausage Co. in Prosperity, S. C. and Harvin's, from Harvin Sausage Co. in Sumter, S. C. - Prosperity is north of Columbia up by Newberry; Sumter, a far larger city, is east of Columbia. There are likely to be others as well, but those were the only two that I saw.
    This seems very similar to the "dishpan livermush" produced by some independent groceries up around Shelby/Gastonia, North Carolina, except that the adjunct ingredient is not corn or corn meal but rice. South Carolina used to grow a lot of rice in the Low Country, and surely this is a holdover from those times.
    Next road trip, I'll sample both brands and be sure to report back to the waiting minions of livermush/liver pudding/scrapple/goetta fans.
    Entrally, Ort. Carlton in Head-Cheese-less Athens, Georgia.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Liver pudding 2004/12/08 20:43:28 (permalink)
    Oh lord. Why did I have to go and read this thread?
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Liver pudding 2004/12/08 21:04:05 (permalink)
    My Mennonite cookbook doesn't have a recipe for liver pudding, but it does mention that liver pudding is the prime ingredient in its Scrapple recipe:

From the Mennonite Community Cookbook, published 1950

1 1/2 cups ground liver pudding
    3 quarts broth from cooked pudding
    1 cup corn meal
    3 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of pepper

Bring to a boil broth in which pudding meat was cooked.
    Season with salt and pepper
    Stir into boiling broth the corn meal and flour.
    Add ground liver pudding
    This should be the consistency of corn meal mush
    Cook sloly in heavy pan or top of double boiler for approximately 30 minutes.
    Pour in dishes to mold
    When cold, slice 1/4 inch thick and fry in hot fat until brown and crusty.

Submitted in my cookbook by Mrs. Frank Gehman, Adamstown, PA and Mrs. Henry Bechter, Spring City, PA

jmhall
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Liver pudding 2004/12/23 20:39:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mongo

I grew up eating Ring Pudding in Maryland. However living now in California. No one here even knows what it is. Nevertheless whenever I return to Maryland, which I just did i always bring back several. It is readly available there. Made in Baltimore. By Caribbean Products, Ltd. 3624 Falls Road (410) 235-7700 (410) 235-1513. If you really want Ring Pudding with that old time flavor. Give them a call.

Can't wait to hear from the "PUDDIN' HEADS"!

Bill
    Spring Hill, Florida
    SongofJoy57
    Junior Burger
    RE: Liver pudding 2007/04/19 08:24:13 (permalink)
    Western NC Livermush

1 fresh hog liver
    1 1/2 lbs. fresh fat pork
    2 c. cornmeal
    Red pepper
    Salt
    Black pepper
    Sage

Cook liver and fat pork until tender. Remove from broth the liver
    only and grind. Add corn meal, peppers, and sage to taste. Add
    enough of the broth to soften mixture. Cook in saucepan until meal
    has cooked, stirring constantly. Put in mold. Press down until
    cold. Slice and serve cold or broil.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Liver pudding 2007/04/19 19:56:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

RubyRose, where are you?

I didn't see this thread on the original posting but I checked my Nana's recipe files and all the old PA Dutch cookbooks and nothing for any type of liver pudding. I don't remember ever eating it, although we had scrapple, souse, etc.

They still sell it at the farmers' markets. This is a booth at the Fairgrounds Market in Allentown PA and the liver pudding is front and center:

toyman01
    Junior Burger
    RE: Liver pudding 2007/11/27 21:32:39 (permalink)
    We did our annual liver puddin cook this weekend. Kind of a family tradition at our house. We use the same recipe my grandmother used.

2 pork livers
    2 boston butts
    5 lbs pork skin
    5 lbs rice

Cook livers skins and butts in water in a pressure cooker until falling apart. While grinding above cook rice in water left from cooking meat. In large pot combine ground meat/skin and rice and mix with seasoning(we use a sausage seasoning the butcher makes) Mix throughly.

Press puddin into greased pans and chill. We usually set it on the porch. The next morning cut into blocks and freeze.

To cook we usually slice thin and fry.

The above is the Edisto Island SC way to do liver puddin.

sorry to bring this back from the dead.
    Fanci7
    Junior Burger
    RE: Liver pudding 2012/06/01 08:04:02 (permalink)
    This recipe is often requested. This is very popular among the Pennsylvania Dutch.
    1 lb Pork Liver
    1 1/2 lb Thick cut pork ribs, Boston butt or equilivalent (The amount of meat should slightly outweigh the liver).
    Water
    2 tsp Salt
    2 tsp Pepper
    3 tsp Rubbed sage

Place liver and ribs in a 4 quart pot. Cover meat with water and simmer, covered, until very tender. About 15 minutes for the liver and one hour for the pork. Remove meat from the pot as it becomes tender. Leave the cooking liquids in the pot.
    Bone meat and along with liver put through a food grinder using the coarse blade. Return ground meat to the pot with all liquids. Add seasonings. Simmer uncovered until very thick but still some broth when lifted with a slotted spoon.
    Serve on hot pancakes for a delicious breakfast.
    This freezes well and is best stored in family portions. A 13 ounce portion is adequate for two persons.·
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Liver pudding 2012/06/01 08:36:03 (permalink)
    I can remember coming into the house for lunch - - following a wonderful aroma wafting on the wind from the stove....  My mother would be tending to a magical frying pan filled with something that smelled so good, I couldn't wait to eat.......  But, alas, it was liver puddin'........  Every time she teased me with it, I would try a taste, and I never could like it......  I have decided that what smelled so good, was the bacon grease she started with in the skillet....

I do wonder, though, if this might be something that I hated as a child and would like now....  I will have to check at the local German butcher and sausage shop to see if they have it......

Thanks for the memories......
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:Liver pudding 2012/06/01 21:03:13 (permalink)
    a noid
    Is there an authentic PA Dutch cook reading here? I made some passable scrapple, but I want some breakfast pudding.

Is this what you're looking for???

Amish Cornmeal Breakfast Pudding
    Serves 2
    1/4 c Sugar
    1/4 t salt
    1 1/2 T butter
    2 c  milk
    1/2 c cornmeal
    2 eggs, beaten
    In a large saucepan, combine sugar, salt, butter, and 1 c milk and bring to a low boil. In a small bowl whisk together cornmeal, eggs and remaining 1 c milk. Add this mixture gradually to boiling milk. Reduce heat to low. Keep stiring it will thicken rather quickly. Serve when thickened to desired consistency. Serve with additional milk and sugar if you like.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1