LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10424
2006/08/17 14:33:33 (permalink)

LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa.

I'm not exactly the most sensitive guy in the world, but this article that appeared in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last Fall really touched me. It is about a woman who has worked at her family's restaurant for 61 years, along with the struggles and sacrifices she made to keep it going.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05296/592229.stm

The day after the article appeared in the paper, Rose was taken to the hospital for quite a while after a blood vessel ruptured in her brain. Luckily, after her recovery (she was soon making gnocchi and meatballs for the hospital staff), the restaurant reopened. And with the publicity from the article, I understand business started really picking up. I have been there around five times now and the food is terrific. She still makes just about everything from scratch by herself. And if you go eat there, she will undoubtedly come say hello and thank you for coming in. She loves talking to her customers! By the way.... the two things that she thinks are her best items is the gnocchi and the lasagna. Location wise, it is very convenient to Pittsburgh International Airport and I-79.

79 Replies Related Threads

Sheetzaholic
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/10/15 02:50:23 (permalink)
    I have been wanting to check this place out since seeing the article. This post refreshed my memory. I cannot wait to go and hope the owner stays healthy and active!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/10/17 08:32:51 (permalink)
    Sheetzaholic-
    I sincerely hope you get the opportunity to try LoBello's. No, it isn't the best Italian place in Pittsburgh. But, it is a wonderful little place with really good food. And chatting with Rose (and you WILL chat with Rose) is always a real treat. It is the type of place you root for to do well and that seem to be disappearing nowadays. The last time I was there about a month ago, she came out with little carving tools and asked my cousins and I to carve our names in the wooden booths. I have to admit, that was a first for me.

I do have to say that I don't love all her dishes. I definitely don't like the chicken parm. But the basic things like spaghetti, lasagna, manicotti and gnocchi are all worth the visit.

They are only open Thursday through Sunday and typically close around 8:00 PM.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7024
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/10/17 16:50:28 (permalink)
    I have eaten there many times! I lived across the river in Sewickley for many years. When I would get home from a long day at the restaurant and wanted some "comfort food" I went to LoBello's. Rose is a gem and I'm glad to hear that she's up and running again.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/10/18 08:13:07 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    I'm glad to read that you have been there and have met Rose. The funny thing is, I went to Robert Morris College (now University) just up the hill from LoBello's and ate there a few times while I was there. But then I forgot about it for about 20 years. After reading the article in the newspaper and becoming a semi-regular, now I can appreciate it for being the great little place it is.
    kmlewis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/11/11 00:33:55 (permalink)
    There is no place like LoBello's! As a child, that was the only place I ever wanted to eat and when I get back to visit PA, I don't miss the opportunity to eat there. Now that I live so far away, I still send people there when I find out they will be in the area. The food is better than I can even begin to describe. I have such wonderful memories of the spaghetti house!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/11/11 18:12:02 (permalink)
    I'll be in the Coraopolis area in two weeks and plan to eat at LoBello's. I hope Rose is still there.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/11/13 10:09:37 (permalink)
    You mean there's something else in Coraopolis besises title insurance agencies??
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2006/11/21 08:36:04 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    I ate at LoBello's just two weeks ago and it was the first time when I didn't get a chance to speak with Rose. I could see her through the swinging doors, but she apparently was too busy to come out and say hello. Hopefully, you will have better luck. Please let me know how your visit was and if it is the same as you remember.
    smarchit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/04/03 17:58:00 (permalink)
    I go right past the Spaghetti House every Saturday during the fall and winter months on my way to Neville Island. I've thought of stopping a few times, but never seem to end up there. After reading this, I'm definitely gonna have to make it a priority the next time I go that way.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/04/11 23:26:20 (permalink)
    I'll have to swing by too and have a bite. I've never heard of it before, but the story is worth a visit alone.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/14 14:50:57 (permalink)
    I went to LoBello's last night with two friends from work. I have been there probably seven or eight times in the last year and my meal last night was the best yet. This time I took my camera:
    Ginny and Arlene both ordered the gnocchi:

I got the spaghetti and meatballs:

Other things ordered and thoroughly enjoyed were the wedding soup, pasta e fagioli soup (photo below):

coconut cream pie, banana cream pie (photo below):

What really made dinner last night great was that Rose spent almost the entire time (we ended up being there for almost two hours) chatting with us. And what a wonderful lady she is! I also heard for the first time the story of when Colonel Sanders stopped in!

Here is a photo of Rose and I.

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/16 09:01:37 (permalink)
    Is that what they call gnocchi in Pittsburg? It looks a lot like cavatteli that is served here in Boston.
    Our gnocchi almost looks like maybe smaller marshmellows. Chow Jim
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/16 17:42:43 (permalink)
    So you say you are maybe not the most sensitive?

I would have to differ with you, having enjoyed this thread, and your update, and other comments, along the way!!

Thanks for posting your pic with Rose and the plates of comforting Italian fare. What a warm and visual delight.

Just seeing local places to eat, the people who love and care for what it takes to bring deliceous food, to the table, and people like you and Rose, really warms my heart.

Here is a glass of chianti for you!!!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/16 18:00:14 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed your post. I love photos of food ordered in restaurants and a photo of the poster along with owner of the restaurant is extra special. This is real ROADFOOD at it's best!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/16 19:30:53 (permalink)
    I am very appreciative of the nice comments, but the star here is Rose. I'm simply not good enough of a writer to convey what a delightful woman she is. I have taken around a dozen people to this great little place so far and they all have enjoyed the experience every bit as much as the food itself.
    blinky193
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/17 11:15:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Is that what they call gnocchi in Pittsburg? It looks a lot like cavatteli that is served here in Boston.
    Our gnocchi almost looks like maybe smaller marshmellows. Chow Jim

Now that you mentioned it, Rose's gnocchi do look more like cavatelli, than gnocchi, but I can guarantee you, they are gnocchi. They are just as delicious and soft and do have fine ridges in them to collect sauce. When I make home made gnocci, mine look like little pillows with ridges on them by flinging them off the back of the tines on a fork. They are much plumper than Rose's. I think rose has a slightly different method to making them, that's all......The picture shown is definitely gnocchi's and they are extremely good, one of the best gnocchi's I have ever had.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/17 15:51:12 (permalink)
    blinky193-
    Nice post! I have no doubt you know much more about Italian food than I do.

It is necessary to point out that LoBello's has apparently changed their hours. I got this straight from their business card.

Wed/Thurs/Fri
    Lunch 11:00AM - 2:00PM
    Dinner 4:00PM - 8:30PM

Sat/Sun
    Dinner only 3:00PM - 8:30PM
    mazuroo13
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/19 01:02:34 (permalink)
    buffetbuster,
    I stumbled across Lo Bello's last year and have been raving about it ever since. You're right that the star of the show is Rose, I've had two great conversations with her. I travel about 2 months straight through each fall and to find someone like her, the typical grandmother type, is great.

I stopped in last night, had the sampler platter (gnocchi,linguine,sausage,meatball,ravioli) naturally as any good Roadfooder would do I pulled out my camera to take a few pictures. And would know that, Rose started talking about you; mentioned that there was another guy in the past week taking pictures and that he wanted to take a picture with her but made sure to tell me she wasn't photogenic (shot down my plans to get a picture). I tried to explain the whole Roadfood/foodie internet world but I don't think we were quite on the same page.

To anyone out there passing through the Pittsburgh area and looking for great food, a step back in time, the opportunity to meet the wonderful Rose, and one of the best dining experiences I've had definitely plan on stopping by Lo Bello.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/09/19 06:55:48 (permalink)
    mazuroo13-
    Welcome to Roadfood! And thanks for reporting back about your experience. I am a little surprised to hear that they were open last night on a Tuesday. Maybe I should get the sampler platter next time, because there are several things you mentioned that I haven't tried, yet.
    happyness03
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2007/10/24 01:20:45 (permalink)
    I would just like to say that LoBello's is a one of a kind restaurant. The food is exceptional and so is Rose! Yes, those are Gnocchi..trust me, Rose just makes them an extra special way. You can ask her secret, but I bet she won't tell you (I've tried to get it out of her ha). LoBello's is one of the few places that still has REAL homemade food. Try it!ell
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/05/23 03:59:35 (permalink)
    I can't believe Rose and her restaurant are about to get national attention! Guy Fieri is in town to shoot for some future episodes of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" and LoBello's is one of the places that he is visiting. You can read about it here.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08136/881780-46.stm

What do you think lleechef? I think the camera is going to love Rose!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/05/23 08:23:48 (permalink)
    Its nice to see nice things happen to nice people.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/06/13 19:01:55 (permalink)
    I stopped in for dinner at LoBello's last night. Rose was all aglow and had some really good stories about the filming that took place there for the tv show. She still doesn't understand the fuss, but she seems to be enjoying it. Like joerogo said, it is nice to nice things happen to nice people!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/06/13 19:17:56 (permalink)
    Rose is a gem. And a hard-working gem! She is a lovely lady and I know that the camera is going to love Rose! Kudos to LoBello's and Rose.
    smarchit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/08/13 19:42:17 (permalink)
    Rose is without question one of a kind!! I've only been there twice (both in the last year since finding this site), but just moved to Neville Island, which is just a few minutes away from LoBello's, so I'll definitely need to up that total now .

BTW, has anybody heard anymore about when she is gonna be on with Guy? she's had it promoted on the dry erase board in her front window for at least two months now, but everytime I check the Food Network site, there's still no mention of the episode. What kind of lead time do they normally have between filming and airing these things?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/08/14 08:12:05 (permalink)
    smarchit-
    Glad to here you did make it to LoBello's and enjoyed it as much as the rest of us have. Rose told me it would be on in October or November. She did not have a firm date on it as of about a month ago. If either of us find the exact date, how about we post it here? I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who would love to see it!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/08/18 11:29:21 (permalink)
    I was in LoBello's over the weekend and Rose did not have a date yet on when her restaurant would appear on DD&D. By the way, the place was packed, unlike I have ever seen before. While I am happy that business is going well, I missed being able to talk to her for very long.

My girlfriend's daughter ordered the fettucine alfredo, which I have never tried before, since I'm generally not a fan of alfredo sauce. But it was excellent and she even said it was the best she has ever had.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/09/18 14:52:34 (permalink)
    Since I am setting up shop in a hotel near the airport until my power comes back on, I made the five minute drive to Lo Bello's for dinner last night.

On my last visit here, Rose's son told me they had changed their chicken parm, so I decided to try it.

I'm a chicken parm lover and this was one of the best I have ever had. Just a huge portion, too. My girlfriend Mariton got the lasagna, while her daughter Emilou ate the fettucine alfredo.

They also loved their food. I swear, the food here has gotten even better than when I first starting coming here and I really liked it then.

We were told it will be at least a couple of months before they make their appearance on D, D & D. When I get a date for sure, I will post it. Rose lent us her carving tool and Emilou got her name carved into our booth.

Before we left, I got a photo of the three ladies together.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: LoBello's Spaghetti House/Coraopolis, Pa. 2008/10/20 08:51:10 (permalink)
    I received a call over the weekend from Rose's son Ben. LoBello's will be on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on November 17 at 10:00PM. I can't wait to see Rose as a tv star!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1