Lobster Rolls

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/12 11:18:02 (permalink)
let there be no mistake, RED'S is KING with the lobsta rollz- when at red's don't miss the fried zuchinni too- amazing! thanks for the photo, it's sure a long wait between now and april or may when red's opens again...............................
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/16 04:00:45 (permalink)
Have u tried the lobster roll at McDonald's? Sacrilegious I know. But believe it or not, they sell in the Connecticut, Mass and Maine area!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/11/16 09:18:10 (permalink)
Red's: one of my top 5 Roadfood experiences of all time.
bweir
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/12/16 00:36:33 (permalink)
Dino's in North Haven Conn makes a great "Connecticut-Style" Lobster roll on a grilled hot dog bun. Plus, you can wash it down with a nice Hummels dog for dessert!!
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Lobster Rolls 2006/12/16 05:37:00 (permalink)
I enjoy living where I do. Really, I do. Nevertheless, I have lived (and eaten) elsewhere; and I wish I had the opportunity to try many of the delicacies I see on RF. The various ethnic foods make me salivate. (Real kielbasa? And what does linguiça taste like?) But after living in the [SF] Bay Area and sampling abalone sandwiches and Crab Louis and the Sidewalk Cocktail, I can't help thinking I would die happy if I could have a week or two to try lobster rolls in all their succulent variations. Or a month. Or a decade. . . .
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 12:31:44 (permalink)
After doing some research here on Hot Lobster Rolls, we are now thinking of driving 4 hours out of our way from Cape Cod in two weeks to go to Red's in Maine. That picture is obscene and Bob's comment to me on the phone (we were viewing it together at the same time) was that he could not even look at it anymore - he had to shut it off because he was going to cry lol -

I am hoping to find a hot lobster roll on our way to MA, but compared to Red's, they all seem inadequate. We did Abbott's last year, and it was very good, but we'd like to find something different. On another thread Mr. Hoffman suggested Johnny Ad's. Think we may try there...Sue
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 12:41:46 (permalink)
RED'S is so worth the drive- i was there this past weekend 3 times- i ate 2 lobster rolls from red's each time. market price for a lobster roll at red's this year with tax was somewhere around $17 and worth every penny! perfectly prepared, overflowing with big whole chunks of luscious lobster meat, briney, incredible, barely needed the drawn butter (but it sure didn't hurt...). and the fried zuchinni were like soft pillows of sweet zuchinni! incredible! we also hit sea basket (fried shrimp sandwich- awesome- so fresh, new owners, same attention to detail and cleanliness and changing the oil constantly and no hydrogynated oils!), and of course moody's diner (perfect hot opened turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and carrots and 4 berry pie). but Red's cannot be beat- and they are perhaps the nicest service people i have ever encountered- the nice woman, as she gave me my order of 5 lobster rolls +, thanked me for such a "beautiful order"- that's right, she thanked ME! i should be thanking her for giving me the best lobster roll in the world... enjoy fb

p.s. pics to follow if i can figure out how to upload a pic...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 13:00:12 (permalink)
FrankBooth-
Wow! That is some serious eating you did over the weekend. I can certainly understand your love of Red's Eats, as it one of my very favorite Roadfood places. Three times in one weekend.....nicely done!
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 13:29:33 (permalink)
in fact, on saturday, i had breakfast at the Alna Store (bacon egg and cheese on an english muffin- very fresh and greasy good), lunch at sea basket (shrimp sandwich), suppah at moody's (hot turkey sandwich), and dinner at Red's (2 lobster rolls and zuchs). i felt like i was eating for my life... a supreme day of eating... we even hit white hut in springfield mass on the way home on sunday (which was perfect in that greasy state fair burger type of way- delicious, fresh, great real lemonade, easy on off the mass pike). also, let me add, if you are in maine and driving towards red's from the south, in both portland and brunswick ME you will find a little drive in coffee shop called "the Udder Place"- no joke, this may be some of the best espresso product i've had in the united states- the owner has all his baristas well trained and obviously takes his coffee quite seriously. i would venture to say that my double espresso short was considerably better than any of the high end espresso spots in ny city (much better than joe's, 9th st and no artifice/attitude). yes, i have been fortunate enough to drink 100's of espressos in italy and i can tell you that the Udder Place (don't let the silly name throw you) can hang... i had 3 great espressos there this weekend... but Red's is one of a kind...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 13:37:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by FrankBooth

also, let me add, if you are in maine and driving towards red's from the south, in both portland and brunswick ME you will find a little drive in coffee shop called "the Udder Place"- no joke, this may be some of the best espresso product i've had in the united states- the owner has all his baristas well trained and obviously takes his coffee quite seriously. i would venture to say that my double espresso short was considerably better than any of the high end espresso spots in ny city (much better than joe's, 9th st and no artifice/attitude). yes, i have been fortunate enough to drink 100's of espressos in italy and i can tell you that the Udder Place (don't let the silly name throw you) can hang... i had 3 great espressos there this weekend... but Red's is one of a kind...

That's ironic

I went to udder place coffee company too when I was in Portland over memorial day weekend- There is a location in Portland halfway between my hotel and downtown
I didn't have the espresso- I thought the coffee (dark roast) was very good but not "Pacific Northwest Good" which is the benchmark I use to compare coffee
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 13:56:44 (permalink)
i can only speak to the espresso at the udder place- perfectly drawn, great cremma, just delicious. deep dark rich real spro...
SRB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/03 20:07:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tigerborn

Have u tried the lobster roll at McDonald's? Sacrilegious I know. But believe it or not, they sell in the Connecticut, Mass and Maine area!

I have. Not as bad as you might expect. The meat had obviously been frozen, but you got a decent amount for the price. I wouldn't recommend seeking them out, but if you HAVE to eat at McD's for some reason, it's better than anything else on the menu.

I lived north of Boston for 25 years, and never ran across a hot lobster roll. The best lobster (salad) roll I had up there was from a take-out stand at Salem Willows park. Wish I could remember the name of the place.
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/12 22:56:42 (permalink)
I don't know if any of you get up to the Cornish, ME area, but if you do Bay Haven makes a darn good lobster roll. I've never eaten at Red's (although it's now on my list) but from the picture posted on the previous page, Bay Haven's lobster roll is of the same quality - pretty much a claw and and a huge hunk of tail in a bun... Their chowders/stews are amazing as well.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=10402652

bweir
Junior Burger
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/13 01:35:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

It seems 99% of the time, a lobster roll means lobster "salad"...I would much rather have the hot one with the butter, but to tell you the truth, the 3 1/2 years I spent in Massachusetts and Maine, I never came across one that offered it warm with the butter.
bweir
Junior Burger
RE: Lobster Rolls 2008/06/13 01:37:14 (permalink)
"Connecticut Style" Lobster Rolls are buttered on a toasted, buttered Hot Dog Bun- Try Dino's in North Haven for a good one....

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

It seems 99% of the time, a lobster roll means lobster "salad"...I would much rather have the hot one with the butter, but to tell you the truth, the 3 1/2 years I spent in Massachusetts and Maine, I never came across one that offered it warm with the butter.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1